Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote


EDIT: Dammit! - Okay now I see a 1.8 vs 1.8 - clearly, haven't taken my pills yet.
No problem

05-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
Nice shoots. Thanks for sharing.

Could you make a comparison in longer distance, like typical couple portraits.
I guess in real life those differences are not so significant.

Anyway I like the FA31 rending, haven't own it yet, but next on my list.
05-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Nice shoots. Thanks for sharing.

Could you make a comparison in longer distance, like typical couple portraits.
I guess in real life those differences are not so significant.

Anyway I like the FA31 rending, haven't own it yet, but next on my list.
This threads actually about 3 months old and the original reason for doing this specific comparison has passed. That said, if there's an opportunity to do a comparison in the future between these two lenses, I'll see what I can do

But you're right, I'm not sure the IQ differences between them are really that significant. If one were choosing between them, the focal length, price and AF/MF would be far more important factors to consider.
05-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
But you're right, I'm not sure the IQ differences between them are really that significant. If one were choosing between them, the focal length, price and AF/MF would be far more important factors to consider.
What really gets to me is how things(perceptions) have changed over the years in contrast to how I envisioned focal lengths etc. from the beginning of my own shooting addiction. Which was something along the lines of... "Well, I'm going to need a 12, 16, 18, 20, 28, 31, 40, 50, 55, 77, 85 and 100mm lens to get me there!" Oh wait... then there's the 105, 135, 150, 160, 180 and 200mm too!

Only to find out how ridiculous it truly was to ever think this would ever count for anything other than a massive pile of lenses and the inability to ever learn to shoot one properly

Needless to say, I've been seriously considering clearing out my basement, getting a three lens solution and calling it a day.

05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

Needless to say, I've been seriously considering clearing out my basement, getting a three lens solution and calling it a day.
When you figure out how to narrow it down to three, let me know! Not that I disagree, I would probably be better of choosing three lenses and just sticking with them. I just don't know how I'd choose which ones to keep and which to part with at this point
05-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7
The bokeh on 50mm f1.2 @ f1.8 seems has a lot more hard edges than 31mm f1.8 @ f1.8 ...
05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
When you figure out how to narrow it down to three, let me know! Not that I disagree, I would probably be better of choosing three lenses and just sticking with them. I just don't know how I'd choose which ones to keep and which to part with at this point
Alright, but remember... you asked for it

05-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Alright, but remember... you asked for it
A similar plan has crossed my mind a couple times

05-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
is it just me, or does the 50mm F/2.8 sample look like its maybe back focused?
05-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
Original Poster
You're correct, it does look a bit back-focused.

I suppose there's a reason I own 21 AF lenses and only 1 MF lens
05-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
You're correct, it does look a bit back-focused.

I suppose there's a reason I own 21 AF lenses and only 1 MF lens
Best MF focus method I've found is with LV.

I zoom-in to max and perfect focus and everything's golden. Well, so long as your subject isn't moving .
Everything else seems like a crap shot.
Starting with AF confirm and moving down the line to a split screen, but LV seems bullet-proof.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a50/1.2, comparison, f/1.8, f/2.8, fa31/1.8, k-mount, pentax lens, shots, slr lens, test, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New AL 2 kit vs A50 1.7 vs A50 2.0 TourDeForce Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-20-2008 08:29 PM
Some shots with my Voigtländer 125/2.5 and new Pentax FA31/1.8 Ltd... TomInJax Post Your Photos! 1 03-25-2008 01:50 PM
Near gothic church of melbourne (fa31 ltd shots) roentarre Post Your Photos! 8 11-04-2006 09:38 PM
Fa31/1.8 shots (tested in bush) roentarre Post Your Photos! 3 10-27-2006 08:33 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top