Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax OEM rear lenscaps on 3rd party lens

I've noticed that a lot of the 3rd party rear lens caps don't cover the contacts on the lens mount. I wonder why this is because it seems like that is something that you would like to keep covered, maybe I'm wrong.

Do the pentax OEM rear lens caps fit on 3rd party lens?

I assume they will because they are made for the same mount. I like the idea of having that extra flange that covers the contacts and I thought I would check here before I buy them for my other lens.

02-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know which 3rd party lens caps you're talking about, but all my 5 of my Sigma rear lens caps and the single Tamron rear lens cap cover the contacts on the lens mount. The only lens cap that I have that doesn't cover the lens contacts is actually an Asahi Opt. Co one, i.e. a Pentax one, but that makes sense because this lens cap came with a Pentax-M lens, and they don't actually have lens contacts.

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Do the pentax OEM rear lens caps fit on 3rd party lens?

I assume they will because they are made for the same mount. I like the idea of having that extra flange that covers the contacts and I thought I would check here before I buy them for my other lens.
I interchange my Pentax, Sigma and Tamron lens caps all the time and the only issue I've had is that the Pentax rear caps are sometimes a little bit loose on a 3rd party lens, i.e. when you put the cap on and turn it to secure it, it doesn't seem to secure as tightly. But yes, in my experience, I can say that Pentax OEM rear caps fit on 3rd part lenses.
02-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I realized too that after I posted this some people were probably thinking "why don't you go to your camera bag and test it for yourself?" but I am posting this at work and I don't have my camera bag with me.
02-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes it will fit. As you probably already figured out when you got home. :-)

02-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Some of the third party lens caps that are sold separately are modeled after the older M caps. I don't know why, but the manufacturer maybe never updated their specs because they probably aren't a photographic company, just a plastic company. Look carefully when you buy these, it's pretty easy to see the extra flange on the newer design.
02-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Caps are caps. The ones that were designed with a wider flange cover the contacts. Those that don't, won't. The A-contact lenses that I have bought new all came with a wider cap. The exception would be my P/KA Tamron adapter. It came with the standard Tamron back cap.

Steve