Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 12-24.
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all of ur voices

DA15:
Seems like the DA 15 got some fans out there and i agree the DA 15 is a reli nice additional to my collection. The only problem i have wif the primes on this range is reli, I m planning few trips this coming year and want to limit only 4 lens per trip and i feel that a "Zoom lens" would be more handy when it comes to travelling. ( Will bag my DAL 18-55, Lester Dine and the UWA lens......maybe a 55-300 if i hv the space XD )

Sigma 12-24/ Pentax 12-24:
I would go for Pentax 12-24 for this one, seems like more ppl are recommending this one among the UWA lens and it had constant aperture thru out the range. The distortion on the wider end and the price tag kinda scare me away tho....

Sigmas:
The 10-20 seems like a logical choice for me hearing from few of the comments. The question for this one is reli should i get the newer one or the older version. I d like the saving of the older version for the filters i m gonna spend on this, but looks like more ppl vote for the newer one here.

The 8-16 is something i would reli wanna try (not sure about owning yet). I was sold when i look at few samples from this amazing lens, very lit distortion and very sharp images even at 8mm. Plus this will make a perfect range coverage to my standard zoom lens (might get the Tamron 17-50 later) . However i don't see anyone make comments for this lens yet.........
02-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taiweitai Quote
Thank you all of ur voices

DA15:
Seems like the DA 15 got some fans out there and i agree the DA 15 is a reli nice additional to my collection. The only problem i have wif the primes on this range is reli, I m planning few trips this coming year and want to limit only 4 lens per trip and i feel that a "Zoom lens" would be more handy when it comes to travelling. ( Will bag my DAL 18-55, Lester Dine and the UWA lens......maybe a 55-300 if i hv the space XD )

I would go for Pentax 12-24 for this one, seems like more ppl are recommending this one among the UWA lens and it had constant aperture thru out the range. The distortion on the wider end and the price tag kinda scare me away tho....

Sigmas:
The 10-20 seems like a logical choice for me hearing from few of the comments. The question for this one is reli should i get the newer one or the older version. I d like the saving of the older version for the filters i m gonna spend on this, but looks like more ppl vote for the newer one here.

The 8-16 is something i would reli wanna try (not sure about owning yet). I was sold when i look at few samples from this amazing lens, very lit distortion and very sharp images even at 8mm. Plus this will make a perfect range coverage to my standard zoom lens (might get the Tamron 17-50 later) . However i don't see anyone make comments for this lens yet.........
you can carry the 15mm on your jeans pocket, you can't do that with a wide zoom. i don't know about you, but isn't that way more handy than carrying a much heavier and bigger zoom lens? food for thought, i think...

02-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
you can carry the 15mm on your jeans pocket...
Albeit very uncomfortably.

Having owned this lens I fail to understand the fascination with it. IQ wise it isnt any better than the 16-45!
02-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

Having owned this lens I fail to understand the fascination with it. IQ wise it isn’t any better than the 16-45!
I was tossing up between the 15 and the 16-45 (which I may still get at some point) but in the end decided on the 15 because it really is quite small. Won't be going in my jeans pocket but it will go nicely in its little drawstring bag, inside my regular shoulder baggie, whilst the cam and 35 will go in a small cam-case, also in my shoulder baggie. Hardly any weight, excellent IQ and still room for regular not-camera stuff.

The OP, however, was wanting opinion on Ultrawide and I don't think that either of the above quite qualify. I've got the 12-24 on my wishlist but I have also noticed lately that B&H have Bower 8 and 14mm manual lenses... anyone know what they are like?
02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
you can carry the 15mm on your jeans pocket, you can't do that with a wide zoom. i don't know about you, but isn't that way more handy than carrying a much heavier and bigger zoom lens? food for thought, i think...
Yea, a smaller prime would make perfect sense. Maybe i should say it this way, a Zoom lens saves me the time on changing different lens around and walking the extra few steps to "zoom" a prime. Especially on a trip, i dun hv the luxury to do all that, i ll be on my girlfriend's leash if she is on the shopping mode >.<

The Sigma 8-16 is not reli bad in size, 75mm diameter when u r talking about a lens that gives u that range. The Sigma 10-20 3.5 is a monster tho.

* instead of looking a new pair of jeans that fit a camera lens, it would be wiser to use that money to buy a bigger camera bag. I could have use some of that jeans budget to fuel my camera gear if my jeans size stays the same every year lol

re kyteflyer:
I heard some good things about the Bowers, pretty good price for the quality.
02-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote

Having owned this lens I fail to understand the fascination with it. IQ wise it isn’t any better than the 16-45!
Agree, seems to me that the primes and the zooms didnt quite make a big difference on the IQ in this UWA catagory

02-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #24
JHD
Veteran Member

Yea, a smaller prime would make perfect sense. Maybe i should say it this way, a Zoom lens saves me the time on changing different lens around and walking the extra few steps to "zoom" a prime.
Depending on what you are shooting, unless your subject is very close, it will be more than a few steps... Can't remember where I saw some focal length comparisons, but the real world difference between 10mm and 15mm is quite drastic. And that's why I DON'T regard a 15mm on a APS camera as being an ultra wide. 15mm is wide, but it ain't ultra wide!
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I've got the 12-24 on my wishlist but I have also noticed lately that B&H have Bower 8 and 14mm manual lenses... anyone know what they are like?
The Bower 14mm is likely the Samyang 14/2.8 which is a rectilinear lens (8mm is a fish-eye). I just got mine and like I said above if you are not put off by a bulky MF nobrand lens, it seems to be surprisingly good. Granted at this point I am mostly going by reviews than by experience (not enough of it yet). Check it out! Sharp as anything and reasonable with flare and CA (if it's the UMC version). Distortion is not great (mustache
type) but mostly correctable in PTlens.

Last edited by DanielT74; 02-03-2011 at 10:22 PM.
02-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

What kind of jeans are you people wearing?!?!? I think thin jeans are in but really? i can easily put my 15mm in my normal jeans and walk. i think...

let me rephrase it for jacket pocket then. =]

seems like you already made up your mind, so i hope you'll enjoy your sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24. =]

while i stay under the 15mm's mind control... @___@
02-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have had 4 copies of the Pentax 12-24mm in the past and always sold them on due to lack of use (a lot of money tied up in something just sitting in a lens case). I recently sold my newest purchase and bought the Sigma 12-24mm for half what I got for the Pentax.

The Sigma 12-24mm is quite a rare lens to find used and that's probably why it doesn't get many recommendations but having used the Pentax and the Sigma 10-20mm I have to say it's certainly staying in my camera bag.

Of course it's also FF compatible should Pentax ever bring out such a camera.
02-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #28
JHD
Veteran Member

...seems like you already made up your mind, so i hope you'll enjoy your sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24. =]

while i stay under the 15mm's mind control... @___@
I don't let a lens brainwash me. BTW, I did own a DA15 and sold it, much preferring the Sigma 10-20 and by a long shot!
02-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #29

Original Poster
wow ! that was fast ! just posted yesterday

Sigma 8-16mm Lens Review Review | Sigma Lenses | PentaxForums.com
02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #30
Pentaxian

The 8-16 is wondrous. If you need filters, the DA 12-24 is a fine lens. Both have better overall IQ than the Pentax primes, and, of course, are more versatile.