Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
soligor or cosina 100/3,5 macro

hallo pentaxian,
i just get here, soligor 100/3,5 macro with 49 thread Filter... i just want to ask about the achromat linse, because it comes without achromat linse... so the magnification can reach just 1:2 , so if you want to have 1:1 you have to find another achromat linse which is pass on this lens.
can i use another achromat linse beside soligor or cosine marke? because it seems little bit difficult to find this lens ...any suggestion ?
thx b4

regard

02-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Another achromat should work. I seem remember seeing the diopter strength of the original achromat cited at +4 d (f = 25 cm), so something like that should work. The original used to be available as a spare to the Promaster-badged version of this for $20, but it seems they have run out of stock with that. Shame, really as it would seem like a quality piece. Instead you might consider the Marumi 200 (+5d) or maybe a Raynox 150 (+4.8d) with a step ring.
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Another achromat should work. I seem remember seeing the diopter strength of the original achromat cited at +4 d (f = 25 cm), so something like that should work. The original used to be available as a spare to the Promaster-badged version of this for $20, but it seems they have run out of stock with that. Shame, really as it would seem like a quality piece. Instead you might consider the Marumi 200 (+5d) or maybe a Raynox 150 (+4.8d) with a step ring.
thanks for the answer.... i want to buy +4 close up lens,
is it enough to change this ?
or should i buy marumi 200 ? what nice is, the filter thread is 49 mm, something that not to ekspensiv..but i need to know, which one is the right linse... is marumi also in ebay ?
02-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

i got a raynox on mine, it actually makes it more than 1:1, so i think the original add on is about +4d.

02-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
i got a raynox on mine, it actually makes it more than 1:1, so i think the original add on is about +4d.
yeah right... i can get +4 with the cheap one

what dou you think about Hama or other cheap close up lens ?
02-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

An achromat produces much better results than an one element close-up lens. Unfortunately this is reflected on the price as well, but if IQ is of any consequence an achromat is the thing to get. There would seem to be Marumis on Ebay, I have also seen on-line photoshops carry them. A much cheaper and IQ-wise better way of getting to 1:1 would be using extension tubes; adequate El-Cheapo's can be had for US$ 10 or less on Ebay. I seem to recall that 50mm worth of them should do it for a 100mm lens. My understanding is that macro lenses going to 1:1 simply have this built-in as a part of the focusing mechanism.
02-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
and which one is you think the best idea. marumi close up lens or extension tube, because i really love this cosina, the zoom ring is really nice, feels like having DA lens on doing macro.
02-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd go for the extension tubes: cheap and no direct IQ impact. Assuming it is the Cosina 100mm 1:3.5 I have in mind (I have the Promaster badged MF version, IQ is mighty fine for the price ) the simple extension tubes should work fine as the lens has an aperture ring for setting that. I have been happy with an Ebay El-Cheapo like this. Using these means losing AF as well as aperture control by the body, of course, as the lens is merely attached to the body, electrical and mechanical control contacts are not passed through by these simple tubes.