Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Waranty focus adjusted DA 40, need second opinions!

My DA 40 worked great, but i had a slight feeling that something was off. Tested and it showed FF that camera adjustment could not take care of!

Sent it in, and it was shipped to Germany from the Swedish service partner (wich confirmed that somethings wrong).

Got it back.

Focus test at near limit and f2,8 show perfect focus.

However when i started to take real life images around my most used settings (2-4 meters, f4-5) it shows a huge Back focus.

Made a simple test setup, and with +10 in AF adjusment i still had BF at f/4,5, wich got better at f/5,6. But f/2,8 showed FF....

So.... Im sending it back in.

Only needed to get it of my chest Some copies are just not checked properly and some even gets adjusted but not checked properly again

02-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sending it in with your camera could be a good idea too so they can check the actual setup that will be used. Of course this is inconvenient.
02-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Sending it in with your camera could be a good idea too so they can check the actual setup that will be used. Of course this is inconvenient.
Thanks for writing!

Well.... i guess. But i have not had any problems with other lenses. Have the D-FA 100 Macro WR wich is spot on focus at any aperture. Even the zoom i have doesnt miss like this D 40 does

Im just a litle confused that they tested it and confirmed the FF issue (i suspected and saw on the focus chart), fixed it but now has a BF issue at smaller apertures
02-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for the troubles.
Looks like a replacement is in order - if the repair centre know exactly the issue then they can ascertain what job is required on the lens (if amenable). It sounds like they just reversed the FF only for it to manifest in BF.