Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Sigma 18-250 vs Tamron 18-200 vs Sigma 18-200

I am relatively new to the DSLR game and am looking for a good all in one lens. I have kids and don't want to miss a shot while changing lenses. I was wondering if the Sigma 18-250 is worth the extra $200 or so dollars over the older Sigma 18-200 and Tamron 18-200? If you were spending the money, which on would you get and why? I have a Pentax K-x with all the firmware updates and the kit Pentax 18-55mm lens.

02-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,309
The Tamron gets significantly better reviews in the Lens Database.

Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (AF Lens) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

If you do decide to go for the 18-250 get the Pentax DA version. It is the same as the Tamron 18-250 but with SMC coatings.
02-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Original Poster
I have had a hard time finding the Pentax 18-250 new. I thought it was no longer made. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy it? I noticed Pentax makes an 18-135; would that, for the most part, be what most people would use or would the extra 135-200/250 be used alot?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Tamron gets significantly better reviews in the Lens Database.

Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC (AF Lens) Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

If you do decide to go for the 18-250 get the Pentax DA version. It is the same as the Tamron 18-250 but with SMC coatings.
02-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 484
Both the Sigma 18-250 and the Tamron 18-250mm are significantly better than the 18-200mm versions, definitely worth the extra money.

02-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 728
Neither the Tamron 18-250mm or Pentax 18-250mm are currently in production for Pentax. You'd have to get a used copy if going that route. All things being equal, it's nice to have the 50mm extra reach compared to the 18-200mm.
02-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Original Poster
Would anyone have other suggestions? Trying to stay under $500.
02-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
Did you look in the equipment for sale area?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/131375-sale-f...k-can-aus.html
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote

yes, but i am hesitant to buy used. Sometimes you get damaged goods and no warranty.

02-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
The 18-135 actually sounds good. As a parent, i do not think you want your kids where you would need more then 200mm to get them in frame unless its a sports day. The reason for the 135mm limit is because more then that, any shake would be greatly magnified when handheld and apparent in the pics so as great the pentax shake reduction is, i recommend a tripod or monopod if you want to use the more then 200mm end.
02-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Photos: Albums
Posts: 848
QuoteOriginally posted by 5150ds Quote
yes, but i am hesitant to buy used. Sometimes you get damaged goods and no warranty.
Contact the seller and see if he will allow returns, check feedback. I have bought from sellers here and I'm sure most are honest. You can buy new and get damaged goods and no warranty as well (gray market lenses have no warranty even though new).
02-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 814
I'ved used the Sigma 18-250. Stopped down, the sharpness is surprisingly good actually, though it does suffer at the very long end. CA is decently controlled at the wide end, and somewhat visible at the long end. The only thing I find not so great about it (besides the obvious, being big/heavy/slow) is that it's not very resistant to flare, and it can get pretty bad at certain angles. Focusing is very fast and quiet (Sigma HSM). OS is nifty because the viewfinder image is stabilized. Zoom creep is definitely a problem. Balance can be a bit awkward on the K-x, especially when fully extended.

No experience with the Tamron/Pentax 18-250, so can't help you there. But both 18-250s (Tamron/Sigma) are generally regarded to be significantly better than either 18-200. Also, since the Tamron/Pentax uses screw drive, it will be slower and noisier (though slightly easier on battery life).

The 18-135 has the advantages of being slightly better optically and much smaller/lighter (and of course WR, though that's not going to help on the K-x). Edges suffer at the extreme wide end (18mm) in terms of sharpness and CA, but rapidly improve as you move up (pretty much the opposite of the Sigma). Center sharpness is good throughout the range. Flare resistance seems decent, though I haven't had a chance to stress test it yet. The AF is just as fast and quiet.

Personally, I like the 18-135 better because the size/weight, WR and slightly better optics outweigh the extra reach in my opinion (the difference of which is really not as big as it sounds). But since WR is of no use to you, the 18-250 might be better as an "do everything lens". The 18-200s compare pretty poorly to the 18-250s in reviews, so I wouldn't consider them.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-07-2011 at 01:57 AM.
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I'ved used the Sigma 18-250. Stopped down, the sharpness is surprisingly good actually, though it does suffer at the very long end. CA is decently controlled at the wide end, and somewhat visible at the long end. The only thing I find not so great about it (besides the obvious, being big/heavy/slow) is that it's not very resistant to flare, and it can get pretty bad at certain angles. Focusing is very fast and quiet (Sigma HSM). OS is nifty because the viewfinder image is stabilized. Zoom creep is definitely a problem. Balance can be a bit awkward on the K-x, especially when fully extended.

No experience with the Tamron/Pentax 18-250, so can't help you there. But both 18-250s (Tamron/Sigma) are generally regarded to be significantly better than either 18-200. Also, since the Tamron/Pentax uses screw drive, it will be slower and noisier (though slightly easier on battery life).

The 18-135 has the advantages of being slightly better optically and much smaller/lighter (and of course WR, though that's not going to help on the K-x). Edges suffer at the extreme wide end (18mm) in terms of sharpness and CA, but rapidly improve as you move up (pretty much the opposite of the Sigma). Center sharpness is good throughout the range. Flare resistance seems decent, though I haven't had a chance to stress test it yet. The AF is just as fast and quiet.

Personally, I like the 18-135 better because the size/weight, WR and slightly better optics outweigh the extra reach in my opinion (the difference of which is really not as big as it sounds). But since WR is of no use to you, the 18-250 might be better as an "do everything lens". The 18-200s compare pretty poorly to the 18-250s in reviews, so I wouldn't consider them.
Thanks to everyone for the responses. My kids play basketball and football so I would like to zoom in pretty close, that is what has me leaning towards the Sigma 18-250. I wish Tamron offered the 18-270 for Pentax, but I cannot find it anywhere, including their site. This lens has very good reviews from what I have read. I will be buying in the next few weeks and will look closer at the Sigma 18-250 and the Pentax 18-135, all the while hoping Tamron offers the 18-270 for Pentax.
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southeast USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 91
I've looked at the Sigma also. What I like about it is the fact it has image stabilization and the HSM focus motor. I like having stabilization in the body but I miss seeing the effect in the viewfinder. In the lens it also seems to work a little better in my experience. The HSM motors are usually quick and quiet.
02-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
There have been already some good comments. Let me add a few relevant comments that were not mentioned before:

* The Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM is the newest lens in that focal length range, and the most expensive. The lens has OS (optical stabilisation). If you use the lens OS, make sure that you disable your camera IS (image stabilisation).

* The Tamron 18-250mm and Pentax DA18-250mm are sibblings. Manufactured by Tamron, both are basically identical. They are very well regarded and much better IQ than the older 18-200 mm lenses. The 18-250mm is an excellent option: I noted that the Tamron 18-250mm (K-mont) was slightly cheaper on the market place than the DA18-250mm, and hence it may be better value.

* The Sigma 18-200m and Tamron 18-200mm are older lenses with lesser IQs. See the review comments in Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com! and Welcome to Photozone!.

I would recommend that you look for a 18-250mm lens. The Sigma 18-250mm is slightly more expensive and OS is not really needed. The Tamron 18-250m is possibly the best value for money and IQ. The DA18-250mm is also an excellent choice.

Where to buy? Try Ebay or, better, some good 2nd hand stores like Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com and www.adorama.com. I got my DA18-250mm from Keh. Their stocks change very often and they offer an excellent service.

Hope that the comments willl help....

Last edited by hcc; 02-09-2011 at 08:09 AM.
02-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6
Original Poster
^ Thanks, I will check out those links and see if it sways me towards used.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, tamron, tamron 18-200 vs, vs, vs sigma, vs tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted - Acquired: Tamron or Sigma 18-200 (or 18-125 or 18-250) Impartial Sold Items 1 06-19-2010 07:09 PM
Superzoom comparison? Tamron 28-200 vs Pentax 18-250 vs Sigma 28-300 etc JayR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 03-10-2010 12:40 PM
Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vs Sigma 70-200 f2.8 In Low Light Christopher M.W.T Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 11-23-2009 03:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top