Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the Aperture ring?

Can the Aperture ring work on FA lenses with the K10 or k100?

10-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I know, no. You have to use it in the same way you would a manual aperture lens if you use it IIRC. Aperture priority mode is a much more convenient way of controlling it anyway
10-13-2007, 05:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I know, yes. But why would you want to?

To use the aperture ring, you have to go to the Custom Menu and set [Using aperture ring] to [permitted].

But when setting the aperture ring to anything other than "A", you lose feature funtionality in various modes.

Much easier to set the aperture ring to "A" and control the aperture from the camera.

For more information on this as it relates to the K100D, see page 188 of the owner's manual.
10-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So if I want to I can use the aperture ring? It is just that I'm used to that. Using it in aperture preferred is OK.

10-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The problem with Aperture Priority mode and the ring is that when the lens isn't set to "Auto", the camer won't stop down the lens when the picture is taken. So using Av mode is the same as leaving the lens wide open all the time, and it doens't matter what you set the lens to.

In Manual mode, the lens will stop down to the selected aperture when you take the shot. But you have to stop it down for metering...it's not like an old film camera that senses the ring position and calculates exposure based on that. The K-series digitals have no idea what the aperture ring is set to, so you have to tell it by pushing a button to stop down for metering. It's a pain...and I really don't know why you'd do it on an FA lens.
10-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were you I would forget the apature ring if you have the K10D. It has 2 thumb wheels, and you control apature and shutter with these 2 wheels.

If youo take it out of A mode then you are left to stopped down metering only, I believe. I have never tried this myself, but there is no way for the lens to feed the camera the apature setting. The 7 contacts on the mount are comitted as follows:

5 for providing maximum and minimum apature, 1 to tell the camera that the lens is in automatic mode, and one to give focal length, focusing data etc (assuming you have an FA or newer lens) The KA lenses don't have a data contact.