Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

There are a number of work arounds possible. Try a 1 layer 1 inch diameter tube of thin white writing paper using scotch tape. In the center of the tube cut a rectagular hole that will tightly slip over the pop up flash. This will give you some side lighting to cover the lens shadow. Experiment with it first and see if it meets your needs.

02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Note that the focal length at which shadowing occurs also depends on the body you're using. For example, the flash on the K-7/K-5 is a lot higher than the one on the K-x, and it makes a significant difference.
Oh good point! With that in mind I'll quantify my own experience using a K20d. 24mm was about the cut-off for me and of course that was with the lens hood off.

Now Loren,,, AFAIK nobody makes a WR flash (unless maybe for Canikon?), so if that's one of your reasons for not buying a flash yet, forget it! You mentioned also, just wanting a little fill-flash from the pop-up, well little
(as in "weak"!) being the key word. Like Mike said, you don't have to spend big money for a decent flash. I still have an old Sunpak 383 that I keep, "just in case", but those can be had very cheaply and are great little units. It won't be P-TTL, but then again P-TTL is not always the only (or best) solution. Plus it'll be a good way to become even more familiar with your equipment. Good luck!