Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
advice on second hand prime 50mm

Hi. I just bought my K110d and am hopping to get a 50mm prime lens to supplement the kit lens. First is this a wise decision, second I'm kind of poor after buying my camera and am wondering if there are any places that sell quality second hand lenses (I don't trust ebay). Either online or in the LA (I'm staying near there).

10-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
baw

Old lenses..

Hi Benjamin

not sure about the situation in SA but the Pentax film SLR's were sold in huge quantities years ago. Ask around family and others, perhaps they have an old KX or K1000 or similar laying around and are willing to give you the lens(es).
These 20 or 30 year old lenses do work on your camera.
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Benjamin Quote
Hi. I just bought my K110d and am hopping to get a 50mm prime lens to supplement the kit lens. First is this a wise decision, second I'm kind of poor after buying my camera and am wondering if there are any places that sell quality second hand lenses (I don't trust ebay). Either online or in the LA (I'm staying near there).
Benjamin,

I have the classic manual-focus M 50 f/1.4 that I'm willing to sell. Purchased in EX+ condition from keh.com, and I've shot about 8 photos with it (really). Send me a private message if you're curious. Great lens -- I just don't need it or use it.

The auto-focus 50 f/1.4 is also excellent. Have that, too, but I'm keeping it.

Will
10-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Benjamin Quote
Benjamin,
Welcome to the forum. KEH camera is a good place to buy second hand lenses. I have bought and sold several lenses from KEH. The marketplace here also often features prime lenses for sale. Best wishes.

10-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Not Registered

I have an excellent SMC A-1.7 extra in case you are interested. But if you are not, another possibility besides KEH is to post what you want to get in the Want to Buy from the Marketplace in the forum.

The lens that WMBP is offering you is really good too. I think that M-lenses are better built (actually much better IMO) and cheaper but the A- gives you more flexibility and are easier to use. I also have the M1.7 but I am thinking in keeping it for sentimental reasons (they are so beautiful)
10-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
TDN
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I have an excellent SMC A-1.7 extra in case you are interested.
I have this lens and can definitly recommend it!

Any of the Pentax 50mm primes won't let you down by the way...each of them performs very good for their price.

Tom
10-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would say go for the A 50 f/1.7. I have one and I feel it has the edge over the f/1.4 version plus the A aperture setting allows you to shoot in every exposure mode. The M series are sharp but images seem a little cooler than the A series imo (coating difference?). If you have a limited budget, even the 50 f/2 is pretty decent.
10-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forums Benjamin.

Any of those lenses offered to you are good choices.

Personally I think that the lens WMBP is offering you is a better choice, because it'll help you learn how to manually shoot.
Which is a good thing to learn for the best results

10-12-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it's worht, I have an m 50mm 1.7 I'm willing to let go of, too. Any interest, PM me.