Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

7 element super takumar vs 8 element 50 1,4

So, I was bored and thought I should compare the two 50 1,4 super takumars I own. This was doomed to fail, because I can't find my tripod (put the camera on books), and the sunlight was changing way to fast. Anyway I thought I should share, or it'd be a bigger waste of time.

The 7 element takumar is the Super-Multi-coated takumar 50 1,4 (3rd gen) the 8 is the first gen.

First pictures are taken with iso 100 f1,4 in raw with k-7, no PP.

I also found some pics taken directly in to the sun with both lenses. They are not from the same angle, but I took alot of images and they all gives just about the same flare.

The flare pics are taken with settings I do not remember, but the aperture should be the same. Those are jpgs from camera.

Here we go,

First out the 8 element takumar and then 7 element.
After follows crop of 8 element and last 7 element.

Attached Images

02-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Flare from 8 element takumar and then 7 element.
Attached Images

02-06-2011, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Boredom-fighter Sweepstakes

With a shelf-full of pre-AF, Super Tak, SMC, -M and -A lenses I've attended the "Boredom-fighter Sweepstakes"
on many occasions over the years and come to four firm conclusions:

1) On any given Saturday afternoon, any one of my lenses can excel -- not because of the inherent characteristics
of the lens itself, but because of the tasks, enthusiasm, and skill I apply to its use.

2) Inevitable lens-to-lens and body-to-body variations in a non-lab comparison environment make meaningful,
objective grades impractical.

3) Any conclusions I might reach on a given day will be invalidated with the next set of results.
(So if I'm plannin' on sellin' the loser, I'd best do it quick!).

4) My individual lenses ain't your individual lenses.

Do I have individual lens preferences for specific occasions? Absolutely.

But my lens grading scale is limited to just one very subjective criteria based on previous experience: is this
specific lens likely to perform satisfactorily for this specific application if I do my part to honor its strengths and weaknesses,
o
r not? If not, maybe I'm tryin' to hunt bear with a 'coon dawg 'n a broom stick.

Each lens potentially adds a unique variable to every photo opportunity, but unless I go hunting for the critical scene to
match a given lens' characteristics, the probability is that I won't have the "best/right" lens mounted and the results
will depend on a serendipitous concurrence of variables beyond my control anyway.

My comparisons always end up with the same conclusion: I ought to stop wastin' time making lens comparisons and
go enjoy makin' photos appropriate to the gear I have in hand and with as much personal skill as I can bring to the
party 'cause I've never been tempted to display a test shot.

Heck, I’m not convinced I can accurately discriminate between my Super Tak 50/1.4's, 50/1.7, 55/1.8, SMC-M 50/1.4,
50/1.7, 50/2.0 and an SMC-A 50/1.7 based on processed images from the field without EXIF data -- much less between
the 7- and 8-element ST 50/1.4's -- without keepin’ a score card.

I was certainly never inclined to spend the day shootin' up 100+ expensive frames of film to prove to myself that one lens
was different from another. Maybe just a few shots to verify whether it was satisfactory or not for a given task.

This isn't meant to denigrate the interesting observations (above because I do it too), but to express my own experience with
the results of lens grading in the privacy of one's own back yard.

H2

The key to flexibility is rigorous adherence to unrepeatable testing procedures.

Last edited by pacerr; 02-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.
07-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I know this is an old thread which was already shot down successfully!

I came across this thread while google searching for the differences between the 7 element and the earlier 8 element versions of Super Takumar normal lenses. Have anybody else done the sin of comparing those two lenses? It would be interesting to see the results.

Edit:

Some other test results I found elsewhere:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2012/12/08/battle-of-the-50s-contax-60-vs-mino...ntax-takumars/
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/test-takumar-58-2-v-super-tak-50-1-4...fa43-1-9-20005

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 07-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.