Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Not a bad comparison. I love my fisheye and if my 10-17mm broke, I would immediately buy another and use my Zenitar until it arrived. (I'd probably go cheap and get the Samyang, unless Pentax does a weathersealed fisheye, but those are a topic for a different thread!) I definitely have a taste for the unusual.

One thing I forgot to mention. It's an F2.0 lens but I've found it extremely difficult to use at F2 - most of the shots above were at F2.8, which gives a nice balance of blurred edges and a sharp focal point. Once you go to F4, the focal point gets a bit large and you lose a good bit of the distinctive character. Past that, I wouldn't bother using the lens. This is another spot where full-frame would have an advantage; F2.8 would give you a sharp but smaller focal point so you'd have more flexibility. I have used it on my K1000s a few times and had good results.

I only have the double-glass optic; what what I understand, you won't get that kind of sharpness with the single-glass optic.

Oh, and yes - changing the apertures is a pain in the butt. That's another reason why I leave mine at F2.8 almost all the time.

02-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a Lensbaby 1.0 that I bought here on the marketplace for $50 about a year ago. I kinda go back and forth on whether I like the effect or not. Right now, I'm in a "not" stage.

As far as the aperture disks, the f/4 disk has been in mine pretty much ever since I got it.
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an early model for my Nikon. Played with it a bit and then put it away. Then sold it. Maybe I'm a bit too much of a realist, but like blackcrowbrew says, it's like of like a fisheye - fun once in a while.

That said, I am interested in the Tilt Transformer, where you mount a Nikon lens onto the tilt mechanism. It's a poor man's tilt lens, basically. Wish they had a Pentax version though for M43 cameras.
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Johnmflores, I have a tilttransformer in my hand. The front Nikon bayonet can be unscrewed fairly quickly. Don't see why a Pentax mount can't be substituted.

thanks
barondla

Love my Composer. May add more later.

02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I just don't see what can't be done with paper cutouts of shapes taped to your lens and 2 steps in post production.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.
02-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Johnmflores, I have a tilttransformer in my hand. The front Nikon bayonet can be unscrewed fairly quickly. Don't see why a Pentax mount can't be substituted.

thanks
barondla

Love my Composer. May add more later.
Good to know. Thx! + Reputation!

Care to give it a try?
02-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just don't get zoom lenses. After all, almost everything you can do with a zoom you can do with a prime and your feet.

I just don't get shooting in jpg. After all, you can shoot raw and process later.

I just don't get wiping my butt. After all, I'm just going to poop again later on.

But I don't think others have to justify to me their own choices to use zoom, shoot in jpg, or wipe their tails.

I have a Lensbaby 2.0 (M42 mount) and like it. I'm probably going to upgrade to Composer.

How anyone chooses to spend their own damned money to take photos any damned way they like is nobody else's damned business. We don't evangelize to you to join us. Nor do we discommode or inconvenience you by our choice.

(And for those who are incapable of understanding text without smilies, the bit about not wiping was a joke).

02-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For the record, I don't get shooting in jpeg either.

:P
02-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
One thing you'd have a really hard time doing in post is the creative aperture kit, where you drop in a star, heart, or something you create yourself into the aperture ring to create unique out of focus highlights.

. . .
This can be done in camera, using a heart shaped hole in a spare lens cap. Divide the focal length by the max aperture, and make sure the shaped hole is smaller. With your taste in long, fast glass, you'd be spoiled for choice

I think the LB is somewhat indispensable were you're after artistic isolation and other tilt effects