Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Clip-on Hood for SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5

Has anyone tried attaching a clip-on hood to the built-in hood of the SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5? I know that there are no threads on the interior diameter of the built in hood, so I'm wondering if attempting this is even practical.

Also, does anyone know the diameter of the built-in hood?

Name:  SMC_Pentax-M_80-200mm.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  9.2 KB

02-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AaronBHicks Quote
Has anyone tried attaching a clip-on hood to the built-in hood of the SMC Pentax-M 80-200mm F4.5? I know that there are no threads on the interior diameter of the built in hood, so I'm wondering if attempting this is even practical.

Also, does anyone know the diameter of the built-in hood?

Attachment 82977

The best place to attach another hood would be to the threaded filter ring at the end of the lens barrel, not to the original hood. The filter ring looks like it's either 49 or 52mm, both of which are very common sizes.

If you are shooting APS-C digital you can go with a hood for a prime lens longer than 80mm. A hood for a 105 would work pretty well. Doesn't have to be Pentax as long as it fits the filter ring. Shouldn't be too hard to find a used one.

I presume your problem with the original hood is that it is worn and won't stay extended. One option is to simply use black electrical tape to hold the hood in extended position. You don't really need a lens cap because the hood will provide good protection. I store a lot of lenses hood-down in camera bags with no problem.

Last edited by John Poirier; 02-08-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: rewording
02-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I presume your problem with the original hood is that it is worn and won't stay extended. One option is to simply use black electrical tape to hold the hood in extended position. You don't really need a lens cap because the hood will provide good protection. I store a lot of lenses hood-down in camera bags with no problem.
Sipping an elastic over the barrel will hold the hood in place without residue from the tape.

Tom G