Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tessar 2.8/50 carl zeiss jenna question

I just have a quick question on this lens, I know it is a M42 mount but the sellers is saying that the lens. the lens comes with a Praktica LTL3 camera and this is what the seller says about the conditon of the camera/lens

"The lens seems to be in good shape there's no scratches or anything and it comes with a UV filter, The only thing is the mirror or the lens isn't lining up properly and it's tough to focus"

would the focus problem be fixable? or is this a common problem with the lens the seller is asking $55 is that a good deal?

thanks

02-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, unless the lens has been damaged or taken apart and put back together wrong, I can't think of anything a Mounted lens would display a 'misalignment' with. On the other hand, if the mirror is out of whack, or the focus screen, it is certain to cause problems. That is assuming that the lens is completely mounted on the camera (which is also an M42 mount, correct?).

02-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah the camera is an M42 mount. that is a really good point JeffJS i took the sellers statement as tough to focus = stiff focus ring

also is this a good lens, I did a search but didn't really find anything
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
yeah the camera is an M42 mount. that is a really good point JeffJS i took the sellers statement as tough to focus = stiff focus ring

I like mine; small and decent build. It's the CZ lens that most everyone has. I'd probably give it a 8/10.

02-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote

That may very well be.. I may have mis-read your first statement. It sounded as if the seller thought there was an alignment problem in the light path, making it difficult to achieve focus. That's probably more far fetched than the truth. Stiff focus can be a pain especially with M42 lenses but it may be able to be freed up some with exercise.

Optically, I would wager (though don't know for certain) that it should be a good lens.

02-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

In Europe, the M42 CZJ 50/2.8 is common as dirt, along with the Industar-50 and despised Meyer Domiplan. They're not rare in North America either. Just don't get stuck with a sticky one. A sticky-focus M42 lens is hard to use, may need a CLA (clean-lube-adjust) job which adds to the cost. US$55 isn't a terrible price (I hope); it's what I paid for mine, but that was awhile back. Check COMPLETED LISTINGS on eBay for current prices.

We're talking about the M42 'zebra' version with 5 iris blades, a competent lens. But it's not the only one. The Zeiss foundries made this Tessar for various mounts. My tiny aluminium Exakta-mount beauty has 12 iris blades (BOKEH MONSTER!) and cost all of US$7 last year. It has graduated from lens-of-the-day to carry-it-always with me. I've documented an easy, non-destructive way to adapt Exakta lenses to PK mounts. Think about it.

Last edited by RioRico; 02-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.
02-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got this lens from *bay for a few euros - just to try it out. Impressions are mixed: my Tessar is very sharp, i love it for portraits. It is very good in short distances or macro (with rings). It has a nice rendering and superb bokeh. However it lacks the vivid colors and contrast of modern coatings, some of which can be compensated with your software.

As for the rigid focusing ring, it is a very common finding with these old lenses and no problem at all. You'll find numerous tutorials on how to dismantle this lens and re-lube it. A 15 minute job for me.

02-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd take the $55 and put it towards a Biometar 80/2.8 and a P6 to PK adapter if you want a decently-priced, well-performing CZ Zebra lens Or find an Industar 50-2 for $20 or less, even though it's f/3.5 instead of f/2.8...but it's tiny.

Maybe that's just me...