Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

What lens: wide & fast?

I'd like to get a wide, fast lens to shoot my daughters (toddler and infant) in our apartment. Prime or zoom, either's fine. Prefer to not get a fish eye. Our apartment is smallish and moderately dim, so the wider and faster, the better. The 18~55mm f/2.8 would likely do well enough, but it's fairly expensive. I'd be happy to get a secondhand lens, and ecstatic is the lens were pancake-thin (or as thin as possible), but I'm more price-sensitive than I am concerned with form, or determined to get a Pentax-branded lens. So long as I get good shots of the girls, I'll be happy.

I've combed through lens tables, but haven't been able to come to a decision.

Oh, I'm shooting a K7.

Suggestions, please and thanks.

edit: ah, nice feature "similar threads". I poked around, but hadn't found those earlier threads.

02-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30/f1.4.

Note at f-stops that low, focus will be hit or miss.

How about bouncing a flash or two off the ceiling?
02-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's your budget?

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is powerful for the price.
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Bounce flash (eg Metz 50) + whatever lens you have now will give you better results indoors than a new lens.

02-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Bounce flash (eg Metz 50) + whatever lens you have now will give you better results indoors than a new lens.

I agree with the bounce flash option. You would be better off with your kit lens and a powerful flash than with a fast wide angle. Among other things, kids move quickly and randomly, so existing light shots will tend to be messed up by subject movement no matter what lens you use. With a good flash you can play with things like slow shutter speed sync and trailing curtain sync to have a quite natural look with the option of controlled depiction of subject movement. Using flash you can work with smaller apertures which will improve sharpness.
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
I've played around with bouncing the flash off the ceiling, and it works well when the little one's playing, but it's also a distraction, particularly when they're nodding off or already asleep. (Bringing wifely retribution down on my head.) I'd rather not go that route. Or rather, I can't do so consistently.

I have the kit lens, and the 50~135mm f/2.8 (sweet!), but 50mm is far too long indoors. 30mm may serve, and f/1.4 would be nice, but I seldom go that long when using the kit lens. So, wider than 30mm...?

The Tamron is within reach of my budget. Anything much over $500 is likely going to take a backseat to other priorities.
02-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 17-50 seems to suit your purposes well.
If you're after a prime lens then consider the DA 21 ltd - small, excellent quality and reasonably fast (f/3.2).
02-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma has some wide angle prime options with f/1.8 max aperture.

Wide Angle Prime Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

02-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

I am trying to get my hands on a 21mm Limited. From what I have seen, it is probably exactly what you want too.
02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Used A or M 28mm f2.8?
02-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jaboney Quote
I've played around with bouncing the flash off the ceiling, and it works well when the little one's playing, but it's also a distraction, particularly when they're nodding off or already asleep.
You can shoot inactive kids with a slow lens and slow shutter speed without motion blur. As you describe it, you already have everything you need:

active kid: bounce flash. Inactive kid: slow shutter speed.

If you really want a fast indoors lens, consider a used FA35/2. That's my favourite for indoors available light. It's smaller than the Sigma 30 too.

Sincerely,
--Anders.