Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 03:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 70 vs FA 77

I haven't seen a discussion of this in recent times. I'm thinking of getting one of these...

Which is better?
I really love the FA ltd, but the DA ltd is cheaper. Is it worth to spend that extra money on the FA ltd?

thanks!

02-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a never ceasing topic that has popped up a lot in recent times.
See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/101291-fa-77mm...m-limited.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/63129-fa-77mm-...-70mm-ltd.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/60607-fa77-da7...et-see-em.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55242-fa-77mm-...ndid-k20d.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50779-fa-77-worth-price.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/126243-da-limi...-limiteds.html

Neither of the lenses are worth the money unless you have specific utility of their features (superior optics in both, f/1.8 in one, digital coatings and rendering in the other).
02-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Forum Member

I got the FA 77 about 3 months ago and it exceeded my expectations. Great colours and beautiful smooth bokeh.
02-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I own 4 da limiteds and the da70 has the best iq of the lot. You can't go wrong with either, we are lucky to be pentax shooters when it comes to choosing a short tele

02-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is a never ceasing topic that has popped up a lot in recent times.

Neither of the lenses are worth the money unless you have specific utility of their features (superior optics in both, f/1.8 in one, digital coatings and rendering in the other).
Ash is absolutely correct with that statement.

I have the 77 and I'm fairly sure that Ash does as well.

You can't go wrong with either of them as each has points over the other.

Once you do have one or the other, you'll understand why you paid as much for them.
02-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ash:
I got the same questions, thanks for posting the links, somehow I was not able to find them using the search in the forum.
02-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Yet another reason for a FAQ section. There is always a thread going comparing DA Ltd lenses with FA Ltd. There is seldom anything new there other than someone new getting miffed, so I don't know why these can't be prominently flagged for reference.

02-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yet another reason for a FAQ section. There is always a thread going comparing DA Ltd lenses with FA Ltd. There is seldom anything new there other than someone new getting miffed, so I don't know why these can't be prominently flagged for reference.
There's hardly ever a question posted here that hasn't been discussed at sometime including this one.

IMO, if you put this question, along with a lot of the others, into an FAQ section, you'll do away with the discourse that usually follows.

There's nothing I hate more than seeing a question answered with "See the FAQ" or "RTFM".
02-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even that these threads is like beating a dead horse, a "FAQ" may defeat the prupose of a "discussion forum" .

Prehaps a better idea might be to have these debated threads merged into 1 thread then have it as a sticky thread?
02-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I had the 70mm for about 1 year and thought it was a great lens. I only sold it because I needed the money for the 21mm. Actually I traded it.
02-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
There's hardly ever a question posted here that hasn't been discussed at sometime including this one.

IMO, if you put this question, along with a lot of the others, into an FAQ section, you'll do away with the discourse that usually follows.

There's nothing I hate more than seeing a question answered with "See the FAQ" or "RTFM".
I'm not advocating saying RTFM, and the type of FAQ I'm suggesting is basically more of a FST--frequently started threads. Just put the thread in a FAQ section so that people can see what has already been said on the subject rather than wade through 30 prior iterations.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.
02-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Of all the DA limited versus FA limited comparisons, it seems to me that these two lenses are the closest. DA limited is obviously cheaper, smaller and not as fast, but still has really good bokeh and sharpness. The FA limited is bigger, faster and has some of the best rendering of both in focus and out of focus areas in a current Pentax lens.

Only you can tell whether the differences in these lenses are worth the 300 dollars that separates them. I didn't feel like I could afford the FA 77 and so I went with the DA 70 and I haven't regretted it, but if I had limitless resources, I would have probably gone with the FA limited instead.

Last edited by Rondec; 02-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of all the DA limited versus FA limited comparisons, it seems to me that these two lenses are the closest. DA limited is obviously cheaper, smaller and not as fast, but still has really good bokeh and sharpness. The FA limited is bigger, faster and has some of the best rendering of both in focus and out of focus areas in a current Pentax lens.

Only you can tell whether the differences in these lenses are worth the 300 dollars that separates them. I didn't feel like I could afford the FA 77 and so I went with the DA 70 and I haven't regretted it, but if I had limitless resources, I would have probably gone with the FA limited instead.
To be honest you cannot go wrong with either.

It gets down to preference of results given and money.

good luck

Neil
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I also feel that this is the closest DA vs. FA comparison. My advice would be what is often posted in these types of threads. If you can afford the 77, get it. If you can't, get the 70. Even if you have to "settle" for the 70, you are getting an excellent lens that virtually everyone who has it is very pleased with. The biggest difference in their IQ is going to be rendering style or character. I would advise you to go to PPG and use the search feature to view photos taken with both of the lenses and see if one of them speaks to you.