Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

17-70 DA takes ~ 2 secs to focus

Just bought a brand new one..

It works fine and appears sharp but if you set the focus ring to the shortest distance, it takes a couple of seconds to "wake up" when pointed at a more distant object.

With the old 16-45 DA, the camera focused a lot faster.

If the distance set is not too far off the actual, it focuses much faster.

Is this normal?

It's a good lens - appears similar to the 16-45 which is pretty good. The extra zoom is worth having as I carry just the one lens.

02-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I wouldn't say it's normal but it's not abnormal either. It's an SDM lens and it can be a little on the slow side in those situations as I recall. Until I got my DA*50-135, the DA 17-70 was my second most favorite lens. It's given me many a great image and still does. My only operational complaints are that while hiking with it, it tends to zoom creep and the quick shift ring is too quick shifting sometimes and moves when I don't want it too. Other than that, I love the darned thing.