Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Are these any good?

Hello,

Jesse here..again lol

I am just wondering if anyone has used the thin lens converter caps to make your standard lens work like a wide angle lens. If you have used these types of things for like 50 dollars or less, are they any good?.

I need a wide angle lens for photography of real estate but the money is not there for a 500 dollar lens; do you think one of these cheapy ones will do for the first little while.

Im not making posters here just need to fit more room in for tight spaces like bath rooms and other house areas.

I use the Pentax K-X with the standard lens at the moment.

Oh there are also macro converters...are they any good?

Thanks fello Pentax users.

My Best!

Jesse

02-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

They are definitely not the best in terms of image quality. However if you are downsizing the picture by a lot you may get usable pictures. As for using them for 8x10 or even 4x6 pictures in frames I'd avoid them like the plague image degradation will be too much. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying there isn't good quality ones but for 50$ I would expect much out of it.
02-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Raynox might be good but it costs as much as a pretty good lens so why bother (around $400) unless you need it for a fixed lens pro video camera
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there have been tons of posts about these converters, and while I have one that I bought specifically for use with my P&S (where it works pretty well I might add) they are pretty useless on a DSLR.

I have tried am 0.45x on both 24 and 28mm lenses, to convert them to 11 and 13 mm respectively, and find they suffer badly from both lateral CA and barrel distortion, making any image beyond 4x6 inch print pretty poor.

best to leave them alone and get a good wideangle

02-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Unregistered User

Thanks guys I'll stay away!