Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Weird mark inside DA* 16-50mm, but how?

Hi, this weird mark is located inside the lens under the outer optical element. I can't figure out how this could of happened considering this lens is WR and a DA*. My only experience of shooting in bad conditions was under very light rain and some fog. What can be done to fix the problem and could it be fixed under warranty? If not, any idea of how much this repair could cost? Thank you for your comments.

02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure looks like fungus to me. I would send that in to be serviced.
02-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Banned

fungus.

I have stated it many times here on the forums, and people just cant seem to comprehend how a ‘weather sealed’ lens could develop fungus. but the truth is, that a sealed lens can create the perfect growing conditions for fungus. don’t leave a sealed lens attached to a sealed body for an extended period of time, particularly in a dark storage environment. trapped moisture has no way of getting out, and the fungus was likely already inside the lens as new. its everywhere folks, everywhere.

the deal here is, as with the other recent case shown here on the forums, that a sealed lens with seals intact is good for fungal growth in the right conditions. my advice, is the same as above. send it in to pentax for servicing and make sure they note wether or not the seals are al in tact, because that can be helpful to you in terms of negating possible user abuse as the cause of the fungus.

Last edited by séamuis; 02-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.
02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Seals can prevent liquid water from entering, but air - and the moisture it carries - can enter any zoom lens as zooms in and out. Moisture is all that fungus needs.

On the plus side, that's one of the better pictures of lens fungus I've seen.

02-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
a sealed lens can create the perfect growing conditions for fungus.
Having designed much electronic equipment which is supposedly "sealed" I could not agree more.

The "weather resistant" lenses are just a way to make a lot of long term trouble. There is absolutely no way to make a water seal along such a long periphery. And any water which gets past the seal will have trouble getting out.
02-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm really sorry about your fungus issue, but I must comment: That's like the best photo I've seen of lens fungus ever. Someone should move that into a database or something for member reference.

Best of luck with your lens!

germar
02-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, cool pic.
02-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bummer man. I'm pretty sure all the little dots amongst the tendrils are where spores have landed and new colonies will start growing. This one looks pretty aggressive. You can actually see a secondary colony a little right of center with two filaments.

I agree you should send this in for service.

02-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry for your troubles but the the picture is much appreciated.

I concur with all the others. Send that rascal in.
02-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Tabarn....!

Thats some of the nastiest mold I've ever seen! How old is your lens?

Pat
02-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions on my issue, it is much appreciated. After looking carefully at the inside of the lens, I could see more fungus on the focusing element... I'm guessing this is just going to get worse with time? Anyone knowns how much Pentax could charge for fixing this? I've had this lens not even one year, but traveling through Panama's humid environment may well have been the source of this problem. So to prevent this problem from happening again, I should not keep lenses attached to the body and put some desiccant inside my bag, anything else? Thanks again, and I'm somewhat happy to showcase what bad equipment care can lead to!
02-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnboxster Quote
Anyone knowns how much Pentax could charge for fixing this? I've had this lens not even one year
If you bought it in Canada, it's still under warranty and I'm pretty sure that sort of thing is covered by it.
02-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dnboxster Quote
Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions on my issue, it is much appreciated. After looking carefully at the inside of the lens, I could see more fungus on the focusing element... I'm guessing this is just going to get worse with time? Anyone knowns how much Pentax could charge for fixing this? I've had this lens not even one year, but traveling through Panama's humid environment may well have been the source of this problem. So to prevent this problem from happening again, I should not keep lenses attached to the body and put some desiccant inside my bag, anything else? Thanks again, and I'm somewhat happy to showcase what bad equipment care can lead to!

yes, keeping a sealed lens attached to a sealed body like that is bad. if you were traveling through high humid environment and exposed the camera or lens insides even once to the high moisture air and environment and then mounted them and left it that way.. perfect growing conditions for fungus. like ive stated in another thread. the weather sealing can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending how you use them. my advice is when storing the camera during traveling or non use, do not leave them mated to one another. you need to let the inside moisture escape and dry out. leave the camera with just the body cap on and keep the lens separate with its caps on. thats all the protection they need during traveling. weather sealing is great out in the snow, the rain, the dust and other things, but it needs to be cleaned and given a chance to dry out, when you have left the adverse conditions. this is really the bad part of the whole ’take it anywhere do anything’ sort of advertisements that the manufacturers are pushing with the trend of weather sealing. its common sense ounce you think about it, the thing is people think they don’t have to think. ‘its weather sealed, its fine!’

good luck mate with getting it serviced. and to answer your question, yes it will get worse unless you take action. UV light will kill the fungus itself, but wont make it all magically go away, and the longer its there the more it can grow and possibly etch through the lens coatings. its best to get it taken care of right away.
02-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm going to make that fungus pic my avatar as a reminder to myself! Yikes!
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just to close this discussion and let everyone know that both affected lenses 16-50 da* and 50-135 da* are back from servicing (aprox. 1 month) with no charge whatsoever, both were still under warranty...

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and feedback, and watch out for fungus!!!