Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As someone who lives in this strange, almost mythical land of 'Europe' I do find these discussions odd! This little place contains vast tracts of wilderness as well as some of the most densely populated urban areas on the planet. Parts of Europe are in the Arctic circle and parts are a stones throw from Africa.

In short, it's a big place.

The 'best' lens will depend rather more on what sort of pictures you want to take than on where in the world you are going to take them.

When you get here everything will be at once familiar, but also different - that's the wonder of travel. Whatever lenses suit your photography at home will suit everywhere else.

02-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nayuop Quote
Thanks for the input.

I agree that for most city/scenery shots I will be hovering somewhere below 70, but having the 100+ range for taking macro shots is nice, something I enjoy with my sigma 70-300.

The pentax 18-135 is a fantastic lens from what ive read, but a bit out of my price range right now being a beginner.

So I think my choices may are narrowed down between the Tamron and Sigma 18-250. I'm not really concerned with weight or noise, but mostly the quality and sharpness. And I havent really read anything thats helped decide which produces better pictures. Any ideas?
My last trip to Europe was with the K-x and 15/21/40/70 limiteds, with a k100d and 18-55/50-200 as backup rigs. I never carried both bodies at the same time. If I were going again tomorrow, I'd take the limiteds plus the 18-135 for the digital side. None of these options really fit your price range if the 18-135 is too expensive, but the price range may be a bit narrow. From everything I have seen, if you are not into primes, the 18-135 is a very attractive travel option to replace the kit lens.

I mostly used the DA15 indoors, and I would agree with another poster that 90% of my shots would have worked on a quality 17-70. I did use the DA70 a good deal, so I'm not sure 50 would have been enough for me, but I took very few shots that were longer than 70 and even fewer which were longer than 135. My most used focal lengths were 40 and 21 (as well as 35mm on film).

Last edited by GeneV; 02-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.
02-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
With regards to ultra wide angle: I think it's all about interpretation and working with the options that you have. I've never had anything wider than a 28mm prime on film; this however has hardly ever limited me in taking the photos that I wanted.

Yes, with a wider angle I would have been able to take other shots, but with the limitation that one has one will just take different photos.

I haven't done cities and castles / churches for a long time but I will be absolutely happy to do any trip with the kit lens only.
In my youth, I would travel to Europe almost every year, and most of the time, my widest lens was also 28mm on film. I never felt all that limited. My entire lens complement would have fit pretty closely within the field of view of the 18-135. I enjoy the 12-24 a lot, but I'm not sure I want to travel with an expensive zoom of some size that won't get to my most-used range (24-50). This may not be an attractive option for the OP, but I can take a compact film body with the M20 attached, get the ultrawide view and take up less room in the bag than the zoom, plus have a film option.

I also found the kit lens to be excellent for street shooting. It is small, and you don't worry about it. I think the 18-135 would be similar, but the lack of worry would be more from the fact that it is WR and not a huge, attractive target to be snatched on a tourist mecca blvd in Rome or Barcelona.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we're getting a bit off topic with discussions about ultra wide angles

nayuop, from your comment about the DA18-135WR, it's my understanding that you might want to look at something shorter as well. Maybe Sigma 18-125 an option? It will definitely prevent a lot of swapping; not sure about the image quality but seems reasonable.

Anybody able to help nayuop with the original question (which of those superzooms)?

02-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
There's no way I'd want to go to Europe with 18mm as my widest option. I'm going there this year and I'll be packing my 12-24 as my main lens, plus the 15/21/40/70 limiteds. I don't think I'll even bother to take my 55-300 or my 50-135.
Yep.

I take the DA12-24 + FA43 + FA77. I could do without the one in the middle but it's so tiny.
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
As someone who lives in this strange, almost mythical land of 'Europe' I do find these discussions odd! This little place contains vast tracts of wilderness as well as some of the most densely populated urban areas on the planet. Parts of Europe are in the Arctic circle and parts are a stones throw from Africa.

In short, it's a big place.

The 'best' lens will depend rather more on what sort of pictures you want to take than on where in the world you are going to take them.
I understand what you mean. However, for most people from North America (as I am), what interests us are the cityscapes, because as far as landscapes it's hard to match the hugeness of North America. We simply feel cramped in many places (who ever heard of a street where two cars can't meet around here?

That's why for us, the interesting subjects are often shot with a wide lens, not a tele. For me the most obvious example of this was trying to photograph the whole cathedral of Firenze, only to find I could not step back enough...
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I understand what you mean. However, for most people from North America (as I am), what interests us are the cityscapes, because as far as landscapes it's hard to match the hugeness of North America. We simply feel cramped in many places (who ever heard of a street where two cars can't meet around here?

That's why for us, the interesting subjects are often shot with a wide lens, not a tele. For me the most obvious example of this was trying to photograph the whole cathedral of Firenze, only to find I could not step back enough...
Your city also has some nice streets for wide angle, too, if I recall correctly, in addition to that huge view from the top of the hill.
02-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Your city also has some nice streets for wide angle, too, if I recall correctly, in addition to that huge view from the top of the hill.
You're correct, many people have said Quebec is the most European city of North America. But even then, we have more open spaces than cramped streets

02-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #24
Site Supporter

You're correct, many people have said Quebec is the most European city of North America. But even then, we have more open spaces than cramped streets
I was last there in the 90s, during my minimal photo equipment phase, and I remember missing the lenses most in Quebec.
02-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter

I was last up that way in the 90s, during my minimal photo equipment phase, and I remember missing the lenses most in Quebec--even more so than the old area of Montreal.
02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

We simply feel cramped in many places (who ever heard of a street where two cars can't meet around here?
Please come to Bisbee Arizona -- [ http://bisbee.klaxo.net ] -- a quaint steep mile-high mining town on the Sonora border where 40% of the houses are on stairways, not streets, and more than a few "two-way" roads may allow for passing mules or mopeds, but not autos. Bisbee, and even more vertiginous Jerome Arizona or Taxco Guerrero, are much like some Italian hill towns I've seen, and are certainly good test-beds for photo gear.

And what lenses do I use to shoot Bisbee or Jerome, etc? In daytime: DA10-17, DA18-250, F35-70 with a Kenko 180 Degree full-circle fisheye adapter, Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1:1), Lil'Bigma 170-500, etc. (When I return in a couple months, I'll put my new Tammy 10-24 to good use, I hope.) In dusk and dark: fast primes. The (ultra)wides are for grabbing contexts. The (ultra)longs are for picking details, and stacking subjects and backgrounds.

Everything is needed. Leave no lens behind.

Last edited by RioRico; 02-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Please come to Bisbee Arizona
Of course, my comment was meant as a generalization of the differences between Europe and North America. Just as there arevery large streets and places in Nice, there are small pedestrian-only streets in Quebec city.
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Agreed...like the Duomo in Firenze! I loved the 15mm on our trip, of over 2500 photos it was used 80% of the time.