Finally created an account, after browsing these forums for
some time.
After using the K10D w/ the kit lens for about a month (1st
(D)SLR), I got a Sears 135mm/f2.5, (not a A version), that I
can put onto K10D, and take pictures.
The problem is, there is no aperture displayed in the LCD, in
stead, there's the "F--".
I knew that the "F--" is familiar, but not sure how to search for
them, even Google didn't give any satisfying result.
Would appreciate your help.

Pinwu

10-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go into the menu, go to the custom settings
find the setting"allow aperture ring" and set to yes
10-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AND is correct make sure the setting is for Aperture ring "permitted" It's the last 'page' under "using aperture ring" in custom settings.
You won't get aperture setting displayed in the viewfinder though even when this is set. The lens has no electrical contacts to tell the camera what the lens is set at. If you look at the mount side of the kit lens and then this lens, you'll see several "buttons" in a row on the kit lens. Those transfer data back to the camera so it knows what the lens is doing. That's also why when you mount this lens you have to set the focal range on the LCD if the SR is turned on when the lens is mounted after you turn on the camera.
10-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks And and Peter.
I had that "allow aperture ring" setting set to Yes for sometime now, as I had expected for
manualy lens.
The way I took picture was:
1. set the aperture using the ring
2. focus
3. push the green button, to get the meter
4. push the shutter button to take picture

Then the picture, when viewed on camera, doesn't have aperture value.
Besides, I now get to enter focal lenth every time turning the camera on.

Regards and appreciated.

Pinwu

10-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

yes that's what I was trying to explain before. The camera has no idea what's attached to it. There are no electrical contacts on the back of the lens mount (for the 135mm) to tell the camera, "Hey I'm a 135mm f2.8" so you have to set that yourself on the LCD when you turn the camera on. If the SR is shut off then you don't have to do that. It's there so the SR will know how much anti shake it needs to provide for a given focal length.

When you turn the aperture ring on the lens and take the picture the camera has no idea what the aperture is set at. So it shows F-- on the display and there is no data in the picture information (EXIF data) for the aperture set on the lens. That's why this lens has to be shot using the Manual mode and the other modes don't work correctly. The camera doesn't know what the lens settings are so it can't meter the lens.

That's the big difference between the M series lenses (your 135mm) and an A, FA or DA series lens. Your kit lens (a DA series) has all the electrical contacts to tell the camera everything from aperture, focal length exposure settings and so on. Your 135mm will work but with less function and information for the settings to the camera.
10-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have been using several M lens on a K10D Software 1.3. The shutter speed is limited to 3 seconds, ie at wider appertures f2/ .5 sec is ok. Change to f4/ 2 sec is ok but beyond f4 all shutter speeds are 3 seconds. I just calculate the correct shutter speed and add a stop for a good exposure. Question is why the 3 second limit?
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

What setting are you using the m lenses on? They only work in the "M" mode (manual). If you are shooting in P, Tv etc you'll get all sorts of exposure setting errors. M lenses have to be shot in manual mode only. Then there are no limits on the shutter speed time up to 30 seconds and in "B" bulb it's as long as you hold the shutter button down.

My only wish was that the camera would activate the meter in the viewfinder when an M lens is attached and the camera was in M
10-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Peter,I use the manual setting. Have just done some tests and the maximum shutter speed follows EV, ie ISO 100 = 3s, ISO 200 1.6s, Iso 400 .8s, ISO 800 .4s and ISO 1600 1/5s. I have tried different Custom Settings etc but no change. Can't be sure but I think the situation didn't arrise until I loaded V1.3 software. What's going on????

Thanks

David

10-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well I'm a little stumpted. I have 2 K10D's one with version 1.3 and the other with 1.2 software. With both ISO makes no difference and i can adjust the shutter speeds to whatever i want in M (up to 30 seconds) and unlimited in B.As long as you have the aperture ring setting in the menu setup as descibed above then it should work.
Maybe you should create a thread asking for other advice from all members because many will never see these posts. Sorry I can't offer more.
10-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
At this moment, with this Sears K mount 135/f2.5
lens, I am content with the metering using the green button.

There might be the need later that I'll have to adjust the shutter speed.

Thanks again for your kind helps.

Pinwu
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi again Peter, I should have been more explicit. Green Button in Manual is limited to the EV equivelants with a slowest shutter speed of 3s at ISO100. I can adjust the speed up to 30s in Manual. You are correc, this probably needs a new thread.

Regards

David
10-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Hi again Peter, I should have been more explicit. Green Button in Manual is limited to the EV equivelants with a slowest shutter speed of 3s at ISO100. I can adjust the speed up to 30s in Manual. You are correc, this probably needs a new thread.

Regards

David
You're bumping up against the lower limits of the light meter's abilities would be my guess.
10-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think Mike is right and it would appear your camera is functioning as I would expect.
10-15-2007, 01:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Oops, you are all quite correct. A quick check with my FA 28-105 f3.2 confirms that when 3 seconds is displayed for shutter speed the A setting is in excess of 30 seconds. Thanks for the prompt advice, I thought I had a camera problem for a while. To compensate the ego I have just ordered a FA 43mm limited.

Regards

David