Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
keep getting shafted on the M

The local camera chain (who will remain unmentioned) keeps a list of their used inventory chain wide on their website. It's an awesome addition that helps me excited to see whats coming up. Since Christmas though... it keeps leading me to disappointment...

First... I saw a 135mm M series lens for $20 at the end of November. I ask them to transfer it to the location nearest me. They tell me it will be there in two days after the called to confirm availability. Three days later I get a call... "sir, um yea... we can't find the lens". It remained on the site until last week...

I also saw in early January a 200mm M series lens... $40! Same process as before... but this time, the lens "never made it from the trade in store to the main store"

Finally, this week, a 400mm M series lens shows up, $60. Very excited. I call the main store and confirm its actually there and that its available. It is. I tell them I wanna transfer it to my usual store. They put my name on it. I get the call today... someone sold it out of the main store, they claim it wasn't tagged.

Now all thats left are a few zooms..... I do need a longer FL and some of these are good deals compared to what I've seen on "the bay".

SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm F4.5-5.6

SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4

02-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you should drive to the store and pick it up when available and not wait for a transfer. If that's possible.
02-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

sometimes they just weren't ment to be. I waited what seemed like forever to pick up my K 135 2.5! It was well worth the wait. I ended up picking it up on the forum for nearly mint condition and at a good and fair price! So just bide your time and it will come. I hope that softens the pain a little.
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

It's sounds like this store stinks.

02-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm F4
This is supposed to be a good lens.
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's sounds like this store stinks.
Indeed. OP, please name the malefactor, that we my shun them. It wouldn't be Shutterbug, would it? I've been screwed-over by Shutterbug before. Never again!
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd say Henrys but since you are in Alberta probably McBains. they show a super tak 200mm f4.0 for $89.00 at the red deer store. Price seems a little high, better come with the matching case for that kinda money. good lens though. I have the M 200 f4.0 but i wouldn't mind the super tak, better build really nice feel to all taks

02-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrede Quote
Sounds like you should drive to the store and pick it up when available and not wait for a transfer. If that's possible.
If my guess is correct it won't be an option, you don't just hop in the car and drive to Edmonton from red deer for a cheap lens (the gas would cost as much as the lens it's a 2 hour drive or longer in winter) canada is a big place lol
02-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah the problem with these stores is that inventory is not up to date. You may ask to hold it from your closest store but since you are on the phone with them the trade in store might already have a buyer lined up. It is only logical to get the inventory out asap. As whatever is still there is more liable to be stolen or damaged. What I would try next time is to call the store that actually has the product in question and have them hold and transfer it as the store you are calling may be slow on the dialing end. You might have a better chance that way. Must be lots of pentax users in your area though if I get sold that quickly.
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
If my guess is correct it won't be an option, you don't just hop in the car and drive to Edmonton from red deer for a cheap lens (the gas would cost as much as the lens it's a 2 hour drive or longer in winter) canada is a big place lol
Where I grew up it was a 56 mile round trip to high school,12 miles over sand roads, drove it everyday for 4 years, sometimes more than once. Spending extra money on getting something you want is part of the cost of living in remote areas. It's a different mindset, it doesn't need to make sense. Four hour round trip, that's just a road trip. lol

Anyway I don't know the OP's situation. Just a suggestion. Another one would be to find someone in the area they know to pick the lens up for them. Where I grew up you'd usually know someone, who knew someone, .... who could help you out.
02-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Could it be a case of baiting?
02-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The M series offers the least compatibility with modern Pentax DSLRs. I found them a pain to use.
02-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The M series offers the least compatibility with modern Pentax DSLRs. I found them a pain to use.
That's one person's opinion. I find them a joy to use. One size does not fit all when it comes to lenses and cameras.

02-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

no different than K or m42 lenses for compatability. I use quite a number of pre A lenses and have no issues. it would be nice if i didn't have to press the green button to meter but otherwise i have no issues and am more than happy with the iq of the lenses i own. I'd love to have a limited set but they aren't in my budget nor are they likely to be
the old lenses let me shoot with close to limited quality in many cases at a greatly reduced cost
02-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I like using them and the results are excellent - provided I have the time to faff around a bit.

The aesthetic pleasure of using these precision-built lenses makes up for any lack of functionality - provided you're not running around with a lot of people who don't know focus-bracketing from a Whopper Junior and just want to get back on the bus ...