Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, it's as sharp, but has more CA and purple fringing. It can't match the superlative FA31 bokeh nor the build.
Jim Colwell's splosdb database actually rates the FA 35/2 higher than the FA31LTD. The FA 35/2 is rated as excellent, whereas the FA 31 is rated as very good.

02-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess it depends on who you ask. Photozone disagrees. I go by what I have seen from sample photos... hundreds of them. And also what other photogs (pro and amateur) have said. But both are good lenses no doubt.

One thing for certain, I simply cannot stand the (non-Limited) FA build. I own exactly zero of them for that reason. There are always equal or better choices that don't make me feel like I own a Canon.
02-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robin, the FA 50/2.8 macro is well-built, like a tank. Don't avoid that one!
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have nothing to complain about the build quality of both the FA lenses I own - FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2. Sure the barrel is plastic, but the lenses are still as good as when they were bought three years ago, no wobble etc. Some plastics are stronger than metal (and lighter). Sure the Limiteds look nicely built, metal body, nice machining etc, but I am not sure if all that metal isn't just catering for nostalgia.

02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The FA 31 Ltd apparently vignettes quite a bit wide open - it appears that build quality and sharpness aren't everything.
02-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, it's as sharp, but has more CA and purple fringing. It can't match the superlative FA31 bokeh nor the build.

But, hey, I don't own either and wouldn't be picky about donations.
actually they are the same with regards to CA and PF, IMO. both are not that bad at all unless you really force both lenses to show any signs of it. fwiw, they control CA and PF pretty darn well unlike the FA77.
02-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
I haven't decided either way about selling the FA 35... This is simple fact-finding and getting some advice.

I can't explain it, but there is something I like about the FA 50/1.4 on my camera. It just seems to work for me, especially when I'm shooting lower-light subjects inside. Not really a 'people' picture person...more 'things' and 'landscapes'.

When I was in Europe back in 2001 (with my ZX-M), it seems I kept a 28mm lens mounted more than anything else.

With regards to full-frame...will we EVER see this with pentax? Even if we do, I'm not sure I'd rush to full-frame, unless I have no choice. My biggest question regarding full-frame is...will it be offered on only one model OR will ALL bodies go to full-frame sensors in the pentax line-up? (I know, I know...this is another whole discussion for another forum...)

Honestly, I could be happy with the DA-L 35 at a later time as a replacement (just to say I have a 35mm). I've heard really good things about it so far. Seems most people have been happy with it...but, why go backwards when you have something superior? But if someone else could get more use out of this lens (FA 35), would it be better to let it go and invest in something I'd use more?

Why do I do this to myself....?
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Its highly unlikely that Pentax will go to FF, IMHO. No point hanging on to FA lenses in the hope that Pentax will go FF.

However, both these lenses are keepers, so if you are looking to an alternative to forking out large sums of money for "nostalgia" build quality of the Limiteds in the quest for small lightweight good quality primes, keep them.

02-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #24

I sold mine for $250 a little over two years ago.

Now that I am thinking about getting back into Pentax, the FA 35 is the only thing I regret selling. I really liked that lens.

Jeff
02-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Its highly unlikely that Pentax will go to FF, IMHO. No point hanging on to FA lenses in the hope that Pentax will go FF.

However, both these lenses are keepers, so if you are looking to an alternative to forking out large sums of money for "nostalgia" build quality of the Limiteds in the quest for small lightweight good quality primes, keep them.
if that were the case, the reasons for keeping FA primes would be, to use them on FF film slrs, collector's value, and unique rendering which can't be seen on some of the modern lenses.
02-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I wouldn't sell my FA35 even though I have overlapping zoom which covers the range. I too feel that Pentax unlikely to come up with FF, I just wish I am proved wrong sooner.
02-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have the DA*16-50 which overlaps both the FA50 and FA35, however, the rendering is quite different and for that reason I am keeping the FA primes. Another reason is that I recently got the K-x and I think these primes will go well with the compactness of the K-x.
02-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The FA 31 Ltd apparently vignettes quite a bit wide open
Hard to believe a film-sized Limited, let alone the most pricey one among them, vignetting on APS-C sensor. Can you point to some links, thanks.
02-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Hard to believe a film-sized Limited, let alone the most pricey one among them, vignetting on APS-C sensor. Can you point to some links, thanks.
Photozone: Pentax SMC-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The FA35 is about the same at a given aperture. There's no data for the FA31 @ f/2, but I imagine it's similar to the FA35 @ f/2. At f/2.8 the value are basically the same, and small enough that it's pretty much a non-issue.