Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The FA35 is about the same at a given aperture. There's no data for the FA31 @ f/2, but I imagine it's similar to the FA35 @ f/2. At f/2.8 the value are basically the same, and small enough that it's pretty much a non-issue.
Sure. I didn't mean to imply the FA31 was a bad lens or anything of the sort. A link was asked for, and I provided it

One thing to keep in mind regarding vignetting is that the sensors are much more picky about the angle of the light that hits them. Several wide-ish to wide angle lenses are often not telecentric and have light rays hitting the sensor at a more or less pronouned angle in the corners, leading to more vignetting than would be expected.

02-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Sure. I didn't mean to imply the FA31 was a bad lens or anything of the sort. A link was asked for, and I provided it
Nor did I mean to imply that you implied anything either

I just meant to clarify that the FA31 is really no better or worse than the FA35 in that regard.

One thing to keep in mind regarding vignetting is that the sensors are much more picky about the angle of the light that hits them. Several wide-ish to wide angle lenses are often not telecentric and have light rays hitting the sensor at a more or less pronouned angle in the corners, leading to more vignetting than would be expected.
Interesting, never really thought about that as a factor.

Last edited by dgaies; 02-10-2011 at 08:08 AM.
02-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Someday, I will probably spring for the FA31. For now, the FA35 will do. The plastic barrel is not as classy, but the whole package is very compact and light. I doubt I'd sell the FA 35 even if I bought the 31, because I enjoy having a lens with a usable <F2.8 aperture that adds this little bulk and weight to my bag.
02-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Interesting, never really thought about that as a factor.
The 4/3rds consortium made a big deal about the telecentricity of their lenses leading to brighter corners when they launched, and that is also why Leica has finely-tuned "offset micro-lenses" on their M9 sensor.

02-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I owned the FA 50mm 1.4 and sold it to fund the FA 35mmF/2. I could not be happier. The FA 35mm lens is a jewel. Do not sell it you will be regretting till you buy one back.

Fund your DA 21mm by other means. I think I will never sell my Fa 35mm (knock on wood) unless it is a must. I love this lens so much.
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

One stop vignette wide open is a bit high but not atypical. I believe the Zeiss is similar in that regard.

I must say I have never -- with any lens -- had vignetting get in the way of my photography.
02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

The 4/3rds consortium made a big deal about the telecentricity of their lenses leading to brighter corners when they launched, and that is also why Leica has finely-tuned "offset micro-lenses" on their M9 sensor.
And the Fuji X100 has a sensor exactly matched to the lens, so all light ends up hitting perpendicular to the micro-lenses. Brilliant!
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
I owned the FA 50mm 1.4 and sold it to fund the FA 35mmF/2.
I applaud your sound judgement. The only reason I hang on to my FA50/1.4 is for its low light capability. Unfortunately, wide open this 50 is not so great. OTOH, I have no complaints with FA35/2 wide open.

Samsung "made" a re-branded FA35/2, has anyone found a place that sells them?

02-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I remember people tracking the last supplies, but I think those dried up a year ago.
02-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I applaud your sound judgement. The only reason I hang on to my FA50/1.4 is for its low light capability. Unfortunately, wide open this 50 is not so great. OTOH, I have no complaints with FA35/2 wide open.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I remember people tracking the last supplies, but I think those dried up a year ago.
I believe that is correct; the only way to buy a FA35/2 (or the Samsung clone) is used. There may be some place out there with NOS, but I don't recall seeing any.