Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

opinions on second hand sigma 24-135

Hi, this is my first post but have been reading this forum for a while and really enjoy it

Before asking the question itself I'd like to give a little background: photography is my second hobby, the first one being really expensive. So sadly I don't have too much money to invest in the camera equipment. However I've been shooting film SLRs many many years ago and recently felt that I don't enjoy using digital p&s anymore.
So I went the cheap way and bought the second hand *ist DS with kit lens which is really a gem considering amount of money spent.

Now I'm trying to get a decent walkaround lens and this is where my LBA shows it's first marks. What I'd like to have is a little bit more zoom range, sharpness and decent low light performance. Based on the price range and reviews my goal was (and still is) sigma 17-70, but now I found the secondhand sigma 24-135 available for $95 in US currency (I'm in EU so the prices are higher here). I've read the reviews but they are all so contradictory regarding the IQ and quality of 24-135.

So the question is: In your opinion is it worth getting secondhand sigma 24-135 for this price as a step-up from the kit lens or would 17-70 be better option?

02-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are three opinions on this lens here:

Sigma 24-135mm F2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
02-09-2011, 04:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You said you bought your camera with the "kit" lens, but not which lens it is.
If you have one of the 18-55's and you've gotten used to it already, I suggest that you do a short walk around with it and shoot with the widest zoom setting held at 24mm. "Normal" on APS-C is between 28 & 31mm which means that your max of 24mm isn't very wide.
I'm a Sigma 17-70 user and I love it. I wouldn't want to be without the ability to widen out to the 17mm end (or at least near it) on my regular "walk around" lens. Yes, there are times when I'd like more reach than the 70mm provides, but the wide end is way more necessary for my tastes.
Of course, $95.00 is a nice price for a lens, but don't forget the old adage, "You get what you pay for". It might not be a step up in quality, only reach.
02-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From the database here. all three reviewers give 8 score..must be not bad at least. and 95 bucks is very cheap. I was also interested in 17-70. find used one on market usually around 270-300 bucks...