Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When i get the choice between SDM lense and screwdrive lense, i rather like screwdrive, because i drag my camera often in cold, dusty, wet wood, or climbing area. A good friend of mine has a good Canon 40D with some SDM lenses. in tree or four days of shooting in bad condition, moving camera and lenses from place to place, he started to have problem with SDM.

my point is that SDM, even all his assets, has a great weakness : it's fragile, and doesn't like at all any choc of any kind. Moreover, it's use very very fast the batteries.

So for short distance photo, SDM is not always the best, for long range, i must say it's truely a very very good asset.

02-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
A good friend of mine has a good Canon 40D with some SDM lenses. in tree or four days of shooting in bad condition, moving camera and lenses from place to place, he started to have problem with SDM.
Of course he did. Ask him to get serious and buy some USM lenses.

Seriously, the 40D is not sealed at all. Having disassembled mine, dust & moisture sneak in in no time. In fact, I can even peep inside with a flashlight at some seams.
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
In fact, I can even peep inside with a flashlight at some seams.
Now that is just scary, if a film camera had those tolerances you'd have major problems with light leaks
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Seriously, the 40D is not sealed at all. Having disassembled mine, dust & moisture sneak in in no time. In fact, I can even peep inside with a flashlight at some seams.
That's quite a build!!!

That's one of the reasons I'm anticanon.

02-10-2011, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I ever jump ship it won't be to Canon. Felt like toys. Not even considering switching to Nikon anymore. 1300.00 in car repairs took care of that!

I need to stop looking at gear, with a K-x or a D3 I'd still be a hack with a camera.
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Just responding to the original question: why no inexpensive SDM?

Answer: there is, it's called "DC". It's in the most recent lens released by Pentax, the 18-135 (although not in the DAL35). It remains to be seen whether all future lenses will have DC or SDM, I suspect all future zooms will while non-DA* primes will continue to be screw driven.
02-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Just responding to the original question: why no inexpensive SDM?

Answer: there is, it's called "DC". It's in the most recent lens released by Pentax, the 18-135 (although not in the DAL35). It remains to be seen whether all future lenses will have DC or SDM, I suspect all future zooms will while non-DA* primes will continue to be screw driven.
I guess I'm cheap. I think that 500 is at the upper limit of inexpensive at my budget.
02-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I guess I'm cheap. I think that 500 is at the upper limit of inexpensive at my budget.
Well we have a sample size of 1, the intension for DC seems to be for consumer lenses.

I believe that with Pentax placing a high priority on compactness of primes we may not see motors in any future new prime releases. The DA L 35 is evidence of that as the DC option was available but not chosen.

Personally, I'd far far rather have a compact screw driven prime and the bulkier motor driven one.

02-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter

An interview with Pentax at PhotoPlus reveals that Pentax intends to have all future DA zooms have the DC motor only (no screwdrive).

DA*s will still have SDM (but that doesn't rule out them silently replacing "SDM" with "DC" while keeping the same name). Limited lenses will still use screwdrive.

Speaking to Pentax at PhotoPlus Expo in New York | Enticing the Light
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

If I ever jump ship it won't be to Canon. Felt like toys. Not even considering switching to Nikon anymore. 1300.00 in car repairs took care of that!

I need to stop looking at gear, with a K-x or a D3 I'd still be a hack with a camera.
Don't know about that VaughnA, you had a hell of a start in Single in January before you dropped out, I'm hoping you come back to the game in march, i enjoyed your work
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

it's seriously intruding on expensive in my budget
hence all the m42/k/m lenses in my aresenal
02-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
An interview with Pentax at PhotoPlus reveals that Pentax intends to have all future DA zooms have the DC motor only (no screwdrive).
Kind of expected really, and it won't bother me much so long as their future bodies keep supporting screw drive AF so I can keep using what I have. If Pentax withdrew body AF entirely, I would probably quit forever.
02-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #28

Even if SDM were reliable to start with, AF performance would be still behind Nikon. If you are opened to any option, I think it would be a waste of time waiting for Pentax to get serious. If you like Limited lenses, go get them. Otherwise, there is not much attraction.
I think there is another attraction: weather sealing. When I look at my weather sealed options, I could go with an olympus E5 with the 12-60 and 50-200 and likely have obsolete gear in a few years if Olympus has abandoned that technology. I could rob a bank and get a canon 1d body with L lenses. Or I could get a pentax and hope this SDM bullsh*t is addressed and/or resolved here in the next few years.
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's seriously intruding on expensive in my budget
hence all the m42/k/m lenses in my aresenal
I love my Manual Lenses but....
My focus sensor seems to be having problems lately.
02-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why no inexpensive SDM?

because Pentax went completely nuts when they decided to bump their price twice for what they actually worth.