Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma HSM OS

Has anyone ever tested any of the new lenses by Sigma with the OS feature?

Sigma 50-500mm F/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens for Pentax
or the
Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM Autofocus Zoom Lens for Pentax

Thanks

02-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've tested the 70-200 OS HSM (in fact an article about it is coming up shortly)- the OS feature is completely redundant due to SR. The HSM is nice, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Parallel Thread 120-400mm

We discussed the predecessor and recently some user experience with the new OS version...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/111621-sigma-1...ied-yet-6.html

Mike
02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The OS is definitely redundant at short focal lengths, however when you get into the 200mm+ area, a stabilized viewfinder is a definite plus. I just bought the 120-400mm OS version (which appears to just be hitting the market, at least in the US). I don't know if Sigma intends to raise the price, or did that for any of their other OS introductions when replacing the non-OS HSM lenses, but I paid the same price for the OS version as I would have for the previous non-OS version, and think it is a great deal and definitely adds value for longer reach lenses.

02-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma has always been soft at telephoto end in my experience and require stepping down. Advantage is that the HSM is amazingly quick and with in-lens stabilisation can see the effect on the viewfinder. On the opposite end is the Tamron with its uncanny sharpness but damn its focusing is loud and takes its own time.

For their prices though no one is complaining.
02-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Sigma has always been soft at telephoto end in my experience and require stepping down. Advantage is that the HSM is amazingly quick and with in-lens stabilisation can see the effect on the viewfinder. On the opposite end is the Tamron with its uncanny sharpness but damn its focusing is loud and takes its own time.

For their prices though no one is complaining.
I would have to disagree with this or at least modify it slightly. I own the Origonal APO70-200F2.8EX non DGnon Macro. It is incredibly sharp even wide open at 200 mm. I understand later versions got soft at longfo al length BUT they were not always like that
02-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've tested the 70-200 OS HSM (in fact an article about it is coming up shortly)- the OS feature is completely redundant due to SR. The HSM is nice, though!
I disagree, it is not completely redundant. SR does not stabilize the viewfinder, nor does it stabilize the AF system's view of the scene.

I have the Sigma 18-250 OS HSM, and the stabilized viewfinder is VERY nice at long focal lengths, plus despite being a "slow" lens it focuses with far less hunting than any other lens I've used at such focal lengths due to the fact that the AF system sees a stabilized focus target. (On other lenses, the AF system hunts as my intended subject moves in and out of the AF sensor area due to my shaky hands.)

Also, I recall some past benchmarks on Olympus cameras (which had the option of both in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization due to the nature of the Four Thirds system) where in-body stabilization was the best option at shorter focal lengths, but in-lens stabilization tended to be better at longer focal lengths.

The benefit of in-lens OS is enough that I'm seriously considering coughing up the extra few hundred for the OS version of the 70-200. However I'm putting off any 70-200 purchase off for a while at this point. (I was going to get it for hockey games, but my new seats are not well positioned for any sort of photography.)
02-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

I've been wondering the same about the 17-70, I used to have the non OS lens on a Sony body and it was a cracker which has led me to look at it again in the Pentax mount now I have a K20D, but is the OS on the lens a waste of money, would I be better just looking for a second hand 17-70 non OS?

02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by chrism_scotland Quote
would I be better just looking for a second hand 17-70 non OS?
Yessir

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: