Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about DA 35 Ltd Macro

I just bought a DA 35mm Ltd. Macro and it looks like a great lens. I can't wait to put it on my new K-5 which is arriving tomorrow.

My question is about the ring closest to the camera that one would use to hold when mounting the lens on the camera. It has a small amount of play in it. Is this something that is common on this lens? I don't think it will affect the function because the mount seems rock solid, but I thought others who own this lens might comment.

02-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i'm not too sure what play is... can you elaborate?
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm not quite sure what you mean. There is only one real ring on the entire lens, and that's the focus ring. Besides that and the pull out hood, the rest of the barrel is all a rock solid hunk of metal with no moving parts.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-10-2011 at 10:33 PM.
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
That ring shouldn't move a bit as it's not intended to rotate. If you are saying there is a little play in the lens when mounted, I think that's normal.

02-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the ring in towards the mount that says PENTAX 35 on it. I think it is decorative and since it is ridged, i think the function of it is for your fingers as the lens is being mounted. I know it isn't supposed to turn, but i can rotate it back and forth about a half millimeter.
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
It's the ring in towards the mount that says PENTAX 35 on it. I think it is decorative and since it is ridged, i think the function of it is for your fingers as the lens is being mounted. I know it isn't supposed to turn, but i can rotate it back and forth about a half millimeter.
Ah, I see. That shouldn't happen. Mine is completely solid. There is a slight bit of looseness between the inner and outer barrel, but if someone were to tell me that the entire outer barrel is cast out of a single piece of metal, I would have believed them.

It shouldn't affect the operation of the lens though, as the outer barrel is not directly connected to the inner one, which is where all the lens elements are.

Last edited by Cannikin; 02-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.