Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
I know the answer. I NEED! but which one(s). Yes! its one of those threads again, sorry.

Fact:
- I'm going to Europe in June - 3 weeks
- k20 - 20 3.5, 43, 77 on hand
your opinions and thoughts are appreciated...
My primary rig for the last European trip was DAltd 15/21/40/70 with the kit lens along for backup. You could be very happy with your current rig, plus one all purpose zoom, such as the DA 18-55 or DA 18-135. The former can be found in WR, and latter is WR, sharper and quiet. If I had your current kit, I'd pick up the 18-135 for this trip and call it good. If you are flush with lens cash, you might also pick up a DA15 or one of the ultrawide zooms.

The thing is, that you may miss getting the exact shot of your dreams by not having the perfect lens along, but, if you get the kit so large and heavy that you won't carry it, you get no shot at all. That is why having a compact zoom with good range along on the trip is a priority to me.

One final point is thtat you need to look at the number of shots you take from each lens you have. There are excellent photographers here that can't bear to think of a trip without serious ultra wide angle coverage. There are others like me for whom it is not as high a priority compared to other factors. As we say, YMMV

Last edited by GeneV; 02-12-2011 at 07:24 AM.
02-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote

Is there a route that is safe for younger children (from 5 and up)?
Just exercise normal caution for your children and they should be quite safe.
02-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

DA 12-24 and possibly a Tamron 28-75 (although you have the range covered with primes) would be a good combination.
02-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks all of you, esp snofox,

As my case, I ll bring
- 12-24, easier to wipe out water drops on a filter
- 17-70 for general use, consider to buy 18-135WR and swap this one, more generic use, WR
- 55-300 for longer reach, portraits.
- flash/gel/cpl/nd8

2nd priority:
- 8-16 when condition allows, no filter/protection then. This one is heavy

02-15-2011, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I love this forum. I apologize for not replying or acknowledging anyone's replies I haven't had a chance to log on due to this thing called "life," or was it money/work. Thank you to all for your suggestions.

I'll get either the Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 12-24 for my wide and either the Tammy 17-50 or 28-75. I like the Tammy for the 2.8 constant and they'd be used mainly for indoor/no flash photography situations. My main concern for the 28-75 it might be a lil on the longer side for cramped places, where I can't zoom with my feet. As for my WR obsession I'll put it on hold for now or until a 15-85 2.8 WR comes out. HA!

As for Hoanpham's trip to Niagara Falls - Snofox pretty much covered it all. I've gone with a 16-45 on a calm sunny day and it was fine as long as you do not go on the Maid of the Mist. Niagara on the Lake is a must if its your first time to visit. The clock flower and butterfly museum (or garden?) and "the smallest church" are all along the same stretch that are nice touristy spots. Random stops opposite of those places are also nice, the cable car ride comes to mind for whatever reason. Since you're there you have tons of wine options to pick up. Make sure you pick up some icewine! Hope that helps.
03-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

We are heading to Europe this spring for a couple of weeks as well. Spending 4 days in Paris, and then taking a river cruise through Germany.

I'm thinking of taking:
Sigma 10-20, (new, for this trip)
Tamron 17-50,
Pentax 55-300.

But I'm little concerned about the weight. My main camera is a K10D with grip. Thinking about maybe getting a used K7, or perhaps a KR.

Maybe using the old DA50-200 instead of the 55-300.

Thoughts? Recommendations welcome.
03-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You may leave the grip home/hotel/cabin and take the extra battery with you. You may need to test the sigma a bit to know it's properties and to see how it performs, at best and worst. In my experience, the range 17-50/70 is mostly used, a bit longer may be, but I don't have the newer 18-135. You have covered daytime very well.

4 days in Paris may be too short.

Last edited by hoanpham; 03-16-2011 at 04:34 AM.
03-16-2011, 03:27 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
We are heading to Europe this spring for a couple of weeks as well. Spending 4 days in Paris, and then taking a river cruise through Germany.

I'm thinking of taking:
Sigma 10-20, (new, for this trip)
Tamron 17-50,
Pentax 55-300.

But I'm little concerned about the weight. My main camera is a K10D with grip. Thinking about maybe getting a used K7, or perhaps a KR.

Maybe using the old DA50-200 instead of the 55-300.

Thoughts? Recommendations welcome.
I spent a few weeks in France (including Paris) and Italy, last year. To go with my K20D, I took my DA*16-50, DA14, 31ltd, 77ltd and Tamron 28-200. I used the DA14 a lot for interiors, the 16-50 occasionally, at first, the 77 hardly at all and the 28-200 not at all. The 31 stayed on the camera most of the time, and the results are further evidence (if any was needed) that this lens is one of the best and most versatile made for the Pentax. I saw other people lugging those preposterous huge Canon zooms and firing away almost indiscriminately, but I doubt they were serious picture-takers - just gear-mad snappers.

Anyway, if I'd had a couple of my more recent acquisitions at the time (Sigma 10-20, FA*24 and maybe FA20) I might have had a little more pause for thought. The Sigma's been a bit of a revelation, and I love the IQ of the FA*24, but I think I'd travel lighter next time, and just take the 10-20, the 31 and the 77. There were many times I wanted wider than the 14, but almost never narrower than the 31, although I also promised myself that, next time, I'd occasionally just park one of the lenses (especially the 31 or 77) on the front of the camera, and force myself to look at things with one FOV at a time. The images from the 31 were able to be cropped quite heavily without losing too much so, if you like your Tamron and you're confident about it's ability to resolve well, in your place, I'd be thinking about just taking the 10-20 and the 17-50.

I know that hasn't squarely addressed your dilemma, but I hope it's given you a little more food for thought (about living with one FOV at a time, in particular).

03-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You may leave the grip home/hotel/cabin and take the extra battery with you. You may need to test the sigma a bit to know it's properties and to see how it performs, at best and worst. In my experience, the range 17-50/70 is mostly used, a bit longer may be, but I don't have the newer 18-135. You have covered daytime very well.

4 days in Paris may be too short.
Thanks for the input, I was planning to leave the grip at home. I'm playing with the Sigma 10-20, this is a whole new world for me.

The more I look at Paris, the more I realize I need more time

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I spent a few weeks in France (including Paris) and Italy, last year. To go with my K20D, I took my DA*16-50, DA14, 31ltd, 77ltd and Tamron 28-200. I used the DA14 a lot for interiors, the 16-50 occasionally, at first, the 77 hardly at all and the 28-200 not at all. The 31 stayed on the camera most of the time, and the results are further evidence (if any was needed) that this lens is one of the best and most versatile made for the Pentax. I saw other people lugging those preposterous huge Canon zooms and firing away almost indiscriminately, but I doubt they were serious picture-takers - just gear-mad snappers.

Anyway, if I'd had a couple of my more recent acquisitions at the time (Sigma 10-20, FA*24 and maybe FA20) I might have had a little more pause for thought. The Sigma's been a bit of a revelation, and I love the IQ of the FA*24, but I think I'd travel lighter next time, and just take the 10-20, the 31 and the 77. There were many times I wanted wider than the 14, but almost never narrower than the 31, although I also promised myself that, next time, I'd occasionally just park one of the lenses (especially the 31 or 77) on the front of the camera, and force myself to look at things with one FOV at a time. The images from the 31 were able to be cropped quite heavily without losing too much so, if you like your Tamron and you're confident about it's ability to resolve well, in your place, I'd be thinking about just taking the 10-20 and the 17-50.

I know that hasn't squarely addressed your dilemma, but I hope it's given you a little more food for thought (about living with one FOV at a time, in particular).
Wow, that's quite a load of gear you were carrying..... I have a 28-200 I had considered taking, like you, I don't think I'd end up using it (or I wouldn't be happy with the results.

The 55-300 is still up in the air, I'm doubting it would get much use in Paris, but I'm thinking it may be used more on the river cruise. Never been on one, but I'm thinking there might be some shots from the boat worth taking.

Food for thought, the single FOV. If I had the 31/77 combo (or a even a 40/70 combo), I'd consider taking that. When I'm going really light around home, I just carry the old DS with the FA50/1.4 mounted and the 21ltd in a pocket.
03-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The 55-300 is still up in the air, I'm doubting it would get much use in Paris, but I'm thinking it may be used more on the river cruise. Never been on one, but I'm thinking there might be some shots from the boat worth taking.
Long focal is good for portraits with bokeh. You need one to have some variation/other kind of photo than wide angles and building. I also use long focal for street photography, outdoor coffee, people, flowers,.. practical any portrait with blurred Eiffel or churches.

If weight is not a concern, I also recommend a low light lens too, like the 50mm f1.4. It will cover close portraits of your second-half with beautiful bokeh in cafe/restaurants.
03-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The river cruise may provide you with opportunities to use the longer lens, but it mostly depends on the boat and on what you want to photograph. All the ones I've been on in Paris, over several visits, had glass-enclosed decks that create some distortion and reflection and, while they're not speed-boats, they move relatively quickly, so the time for consideration of detail isn't great. Because the boats operate from a level that is a fair bit below street level, you'll also find yourself mostly looking up.

And, of course, if you're taking a special someone with you, you may be spending a bit of relationship time on the boat as well (it is Paris, after all)! My most recent visit included a dinner cruise, and that limits your time for photography at all, let alone considered picture taking!
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teetoeb Quote
I know the answer. I NEED! but which one(s). Yes! its one of those threads again, sorry.

Fact:
- I'm going to Europe in June - 3 weeks
- k20 - 20 3.5, 43, 77 on hand

I love my primes but sometimes a pair of zooms are convenient and more considerate to your significant other on a trip.

I'm looking for a two zoom option. The contenders, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 8-16 for the wide and Tamron 17-50, Tamron 28-75, or DA 18-135 for the normal/mid-tele.

I know I'm getting either 10-20 or 8-16, the former being the cheaper option. The 8-16 was a recent consideration due to the fl.

What I couple the wide zoom with is where my brain spins and I think, I over analyze things just a little.

10-20 + 17-50 - cheap, nice overlap, fast 2.8 for low light, no weather seal
10-20 + 28-75 - cheap, 28 too long for indoor low light, no weather seal
8-16/10-20 + 18-135 - is the DA fast enough for low light - museums/churches

8-16 + 17-50 - i have the 77 for reach if needed, no weather seal
8-16 + 28-75 - i have the 20 3.5, might be too many lens switching, no weather seal

I've always wanted a weather sealed lens with my k20. The 18-135 is perfect just not for this trip. After all that I've come to realize that I can always get the 18-55WR for cheap.

your opinions and thoughts are appreciated...
When I travel by car and can take a dedicated camera bag it usually include a whole bunch of lenses, long and short, zoom and prime, fisheye and macro and other gear. When I fly, I usually just pack the DA15+21+35+70ltds. It is soo comfortable to travel with just this set. No bag, just pockets.

With your lenses I'd only try to fill the gap between 20 and 43mm. That is quite wide in angle of view. The DA35ltd would be a good option that also gives you macro. The DA35/2.4 would be less costly. With that you have got 20 to 77mm covered very well. Unless you know you are going to use extreme wide angles or longer tele this probably covers most of your needs. Fast glass you already have in the 43 and 77. Just my thought.