Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the 35 and decided to buy the 31. 35 is fantastic, but not as fast as the 31 (f1.8 vs 2.8) and it focuses much slower due to macro capabilities (long travel). I finally sold the 35 and never regreted it. Like anything in life, excellence comes at a high cost.

02-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I had the 35 and decided to buy the 31. 35 is fantastic, but not as fast as the 31 (f1.8 vs 2.8) and it focuses much slower due to macro capabilities (long travel).
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
FA31 isn't macro so it can focus faster both with AF and MF since the focus throw is shorter.
In the interests of clarity, the focus throw of the DA 35 is only about 10 degrees between infinity and 3 feet. So, as long as the AF system on the camera body can decisively instruct the lens where to focus, the DA 35 is capable of almost instantaneously locking on to subjects in this distance range. It is only when the camera tells the lens to "go around the horn" to find focus that the long focus throw of the DA35 becomes an issue.
02-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you pay extra for the FA31's portrait style rendering.
02-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Based on Photozone's test, the FA31 has better MTF, les CA, and better bokeh. It's darn expensive, though.

02-12-2011, 04:01 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
May have been mentioned in an earlier post, but I missed it...

The DA 35/2.8 MACRO has the 'Quick Shift' focusing feature. QS allows for easier fiddly fine tuning of MF when the camera is set to AF. The FA 31 requires the flick of a switch on the camera body to disengage AF in order to permit MF. QS is a very handy feature when AF gets you close, but needs a tiny nudge to nail focus.

I have both. I am an early adopter of the 35 and it's my walk around lens. Paired to a K-5, the 35 is excellent and capable of producing stunning results. Recently, I acquired a 31 and am working my way along its learning curve. The 31 takes a little more work, but I've NOT found its hype exaggerated. Both are great starter choices for a prime lens collection. Which ever you choose, you'll be pleased.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 02-12-2011 at 04:12 AM.
02-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for your responses. I already had the DA 35 ltd and was looking for good reasons not to add the FA 31 ltd to my collection. Both this thread and several others on the web (it appears to be a common question) all indicated that, although the DA 35 is a very good lens, the FA 31 is even better. They do both have their strengths.

I gave in to my LBA and got the FA 31 last weekend. It does fill a gap in my lens collection and now the DA 35 is a bit redundant (I also have the DA 40 for carryaround). I am going to keep it, however, for now. I am about to take four primes and a shift lens to my camera store to offset to some degree the cost of the FA 31. These are older primes that I will never use again; the same applies to the shift lens.

And, yes, the FA 31 is a very good lens.
02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Thanks, all, for your responses. I already had the DA 35 ltd and was looking for good reasons not to add the FA 31 ltd to my collection. Both this thread and several others on the web (it appears to be a common question) all indicated that, although the DA 35 is a very good lens, the FA 31 is even better. They do both have their strengths.

I gave in to my LBA and got the FA 31 last weekend. It does fill a gap in my lens collection and now the DA 35 is a bit redundant (I also have the DA 40 for carryaround). I am going to keep it, however, for now. I am about to take four primes and a shift lens to my camera store to offset to some degree the cost of the FA 31. These are older primes that I will never use again; the same applies to the shift lens.

And, yes, the FA 31 is a very good lens.
Try the marketplace here. You may do better for your older primes.
02-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

shift lens

I reckon the shift lens (if you're talking about Pentax 28mm shift) can probably pretty much cover the the biggest piece of 31mm budget. However think about selling the shift, you may regret it

02-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
cpk
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The wicked deed has already been done. The lenses are gone, the shift included. They went shortly after I made my last post. I still have a shift lens for the Mamiya 645 in case I do some film photography requiring the use of a shift. As suggested, I could have sold them through the forum; but I wanted a quick fix. It was worth it.