Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #6001
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
DA50/1.8
Now those are real beauty! Gorgeous shots!

When the ISO comes down the detail can be fantastic....even in the crop mode of the K1.
Not great bokeh, but the detail is nice.

05-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #6002
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thank you! I shoot for fun and the joy of it, and the K1 has certainly increased the range of that joy! It is an unbelievable camera with abilities previously unknown below the 645s.
It is wonderful...like Mrs Rupert, that insisted I get the K1 when my K5IIs was badly damaged.

Assuming others are interested in the K1 at some point, let me cover a few more things of importance that have excited me.

* The colors and WB are second to none....on some of the past Pentax bodies I have owned these have been somewhat of a problem at times. The K1 is just excellent in both areas.

*Some say that lesser lenses get worse on the K1, and that may be true, but I haven't found it to be so far. My Bigma, which is not a Pro lens, is actually a lot better performer on the K1. So the lenses you have may be just fine.

*Processing......I usually process the Raw, though I find the Jpegs very good on the K1, and processing is so much easier on the K1. There is less of it to do and the dynamic range gives unbelievable latitude for adjustment...even much better than my K5Is, and it was very good.

*Frustration factor.....I think we all experience this, sometimes often, when you can't get fast focus, can't deal with the high ISO noise when you do in low light, and have to learn a new cuss word for that shot you wanted but missed. The K1 greatly reduces this factor...greatly! No, every shot I get is not perfect...for various reasons, most often because of me. However, your keeper rate will skyrocket with the K1.

I know it's a lot of cash, (still barely more expensive than my first K5 original) and can squeeze a budget, but even for more casual shooters like me this camera is more than worth a little sacrifice if you want to end frustrations and increase your joy.

I'm old...and Mrs Rupert is loaded in cash, but if that was not the case I'd still follow this rule to get me a K1, knowing what I now know after almost a week of using it....I've pretty much followed this my entire life.....never expecting to get as old as I am now...and I have no regrets!

Now back to business!
I just shot this minutes ago in the early morning light. Instant focus with the big ol' slow Bigma (amazing!) and no noise reduction in or out of camera @ ISO 3200. Handheld at 1/80 (amazing SR too!)

This is the birds' first entry in the squirrel bokeh challenge for today....Lazy squirrels are sleeping late on this Saturday morning and haven't even showed up....I think they can forget it, they won't beat this bird bokeh!

Best Regards & once more I want to offer my thanks and appreciation to all that post in this thread and make my first cup of coffee every day a delight as I view the wonderful shots posted here!
There are worse things than being old and having a wife who is loaded with cash, being old and not having a wife loaded with cash for example! Love your philosophy of enjoying life and photography while you can. I believe I will adopt that philosophy as justification to order the K-1 some time before they drop the price and start giving away grips and lenses to hype sales! Some might think it a somewhat squirely philosophy but not me.
05-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #6003
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
There are worse things than being old and having a wife who is loaded with cash, being old and not having a wife loaded with cash for example! Love your philosophy of enjoying life and photography while you can. I believe I will adopt that philosophy as justification to order the K-1 some time before they drop the price and start giving away grips and lenses to hype sales! Some might think it a somewhat squirely philosophy but not me.
I don't see you having any regrets....I have bought several bodies when they first came out and a while later couldn't remember what I paid....and didn't care, it was worth it.
The K1 is most definitely worth having sooner than later. I am dazzled with every shot. The ease of use is what I was hoping to gain and it far exceeds my wildest expectations.

Best Regards!
05-14-2016, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #6004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images in this thread lately!
Maybe not really bokeh, but some f/8 OOF Japanese Maple blossoms:

05-14-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #6005
Veteran Member

Very lovely Paul...never seen those before. Is that in a park area?

Closing out the day with a couple of Woodies I got earlier.

Squirrels lost the bokeh challenge today, they were pathetic. Claimed they "don't work " on Saturday.

This little dove clinched it for the birdies.

Maybe Mama Raccoon will come along at sundown and I'll get something different again?

Regards!
05-14-2016, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #6006
Pentaxian

K-3 and DA*200
ƒ2.8, 400 ISO, 1/250s

05-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #6007
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 and Tamron 70-200 @ 200mm f9 1/180 ISO 400 AF540FGZ II Flash with a diffuser. I only got to use this lens for two months before it was stolen out of my car.

05-15-2016, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #6008
Pentaxian

*Processing......I usually process the Raw, though I find the Jpegs very good on the K1, and processing is so much easier on the K1. There is less of it to do and the dynamic range gives unbelievable latitude for adjustment...even much better than my K5Is, and it was very good.

This is a valid point, Rupert (not that the other points wouldn't be). I have exactly the same impression. Most of K-1 shots need just a subtle (if any) PP. Which is a great "feature" for me, as I'm that kind of guy who prefers to wander outdoors with my camera instead of sitting at the PC.

FA43

Last edited by zzeitg; 05-15-2016 at 12:56 AM.
05-15-2016, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #6009
Pentaxian

FA50mm macro + 2x TC Kenko

05-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #6010
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Most of K-1 shots need just a subtle (if any) PP. Which is a great "feature" for me, as I'm that kind of guy who prefers to wander outdoors with my camera instead of sitting at the PC.
I tend to sit at my PC with camera at the ready and snap out the surrounding windows. I have those two bad feet I broke, but mainly I am just lazy.

When I shot this one I had to walk out into those treacherous Woods of Otis about 100 feet and considered it a safari adventure!

I keep saying I am going to get out and about but so far I'm just sayin' it!

Best Regards...always enjoy your fine work in this thread!

---------- Post added 05-15-16 at 10:11 AM ----------

Haven't heard much about the K1 fantastic new SR? I sure have enjoyed it this week!

This Jay made the first entry today in the "Bokeh War" with the squirrels.
1/50 Handheld f6.3 ISO 2500 @ 500mm - No noise reduction in or out of camera.

Squirrels may not show up to compete today....beside being not so good at bokeh, Sunday is a day of rest and worship for squirrels.

Regards!
05-15-2016, 09:16 AM - 3 Likes   #6011
ogl
Banned

DA50/1.8@2.0
05-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #6012

Photos: Albums
Some really great shots in this thread! Here's a little bokeh test I did with the Super-Tak 50mm at f/1.4. Love this lens

05-15-2016, 10:13 AM - 5 Likes   #6013
ogl
Banned

DA50/1.8@2.0

---------- Post added 05-15-2016 at 10:15 AM ----------

05-15-2016, 11:19 AM - 4 Likes   #6014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very lovely Paul...never seen those before. Is that in a park area?
Thanks Rupert! Yes, there's a small park & botanical garden in town, not far from Main Street. You are getting some amazing shots with your new toy as well!

A really old one from 2011 - I think this was with the M50/1.7:
05-15-2016, 11:45 AM - 5 Likes   #6015

Iris and interesting bokeh
Attached Images