Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
K-5II and 16-85 WR
Stunning!

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
K5ll and Tamron 90 macro
Love it..excellent!

@taks That last red one is perfectly gorgeous....love that little birdie too....a cutie!

Is bokeh all we think it is, or are we obsessed? I ask because my oldest grandson was looking at these I shot this morning and said "Grandpa, it is a shame you couldn't get the background in focus like you did the bird."

I guess we all see things differently?

It kind of agitated the little Spanish dove, she said she worked hard to get that bokeh!

I like seeing a little of their red wingtips! Underside of their wings is a nice red shaded blend...unique!

"I could peck your grandson's eyes out, you know!"

Regards!

09-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #7157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Is bokeh all we think it is, or are we obsessed? I ask because my oldest grandson was looking at these I shot this morning and said "Grandpa, it is a shame you couldn't get the background in focus like you did the bird."

That's funny and maybe a good concept to consider. It seems bokeh was just a byproduct of optics and people took a liking to it. Flare too.

Not much different than admiring the growl of an engine or feedback in music I guess.
09-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #7158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
That's funny and maybe a good concept to consider. It seems bokeh was just a byproduct of optics and people took a liking to it. Flare too.

Not much different than admiring the growl of an engine or feedback in music I guess.
It was sort of startling to find someone not appreciating bokeh....my Mom has said the same thing at times...asking me when I could learn to get the backgrounds in focus? I wonder now...how many people that view our shots have the same thoughts but remain silent?

Maybe we need a thread that emphasizes total image sharpness??? I think we might see some pretty ugly shots of blooms and such!

Regards!
09-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #7159
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It was sort of startling to find someone not appreciating bokeh....my Mom has said the same thing at times...asking me when I could learn to get the backgrounds in focus? I wonder now...how many people that view our shots have the same thoughts but remain silent?

Maybe we need a thread that emphasizes total image sharpness??? I think we might see some pretty ugly shots of blooms and such!

Regards!
Actually, your Mom and Grandson would probably NOT like fully-focused images for reasons peculiar to how human vision differs from the camera.

The human brain uses binocular vision and the motion of the head to visually separate and distinguish foreground objects from background objects. We see in 3D and thus have no problem seeing a dove in front of a squirrel-yellowed shrubbery. But a still photo is taken with one unmoving eye so the fully focused picture would look like a dove hidden in a cluttered field.

This difference is why so many untrained photographers often create images with poles coming out of people's heads -- their brain automatically separated the foreground person from the background pole but their camera didn't. Until the photographer learns to see the way the camera sees (or uses techniques like bokeh) to manually create in a still image what a moving pair of eyes create, they'll create less pleasing images.

P.S. Love your doves (and bokeh)!

09-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #7160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The human brain uses binocular vision and the motion of the head to visually separate and distinguish foreground objects from background objects.
Very interesting and informative! Thanks! I just know I like bokeh I see in this thread...and don't want doves pecking my eyes out!

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
P.S. Love your doves (and bokeh)!
Thank you! The Bigma is not exactly a bokeh machine, but it does do half decent and better than I would expect from such a long range lens of medium quality.

Regards!
09-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #7161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is a shame you couldn't get the background in focus like you did the bird."
Don't feel bad - my mom said the same when I sent her a few flower/bokeh photos .
btw, great work here guys - keep it up!
09-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #7162
Pentaxian

For me, it depends on the circumstances. Most of the time, when I'm taking picture of a bird, or a mammal, I don't want a bunch of visual clutter in the background or foreground. If I'm taking a picture of a building or an event, I may want the surroundings to provide context.

09-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #7163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does a Spanish dove coo in Castilian rather than Latino?
09-15-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #7164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Does a Spanish dove coo in Castilian rather than Latino?
Amazingly they are pretty quiet birds.....but here in Texas they can speak Tex-Mex fairly fluently.

Regards!
09-15-2016, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #7165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Regards!

I tried to get the background in focus on this one, but I can't seem to rotate my aperture past f2.8 on my 55mm

09-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #7166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I tried to get the background in focus on this one, but I can't seem to rotate my aperture past f2.8 on my 55mm
Very neat shot, and superb bokeh! My grandson would feel sorry for you, but not me!

Regards!
09-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #7167
Veteran Member

Some seagull bokeh from a recent trip to Montreal
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #7168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@taks That last red one is perfectly gorgeous....love that little birdie too....a cutie!
Thank you for the kind words

---------- Post added 09-15-16 at 09:38 PM ----------

"Grandpa, it is a shame you couldn't get the background in focus like you did the bird."
Funny Your grandson's words would be a bokeh=missing the point in Japanese(out of focus)
09-16-2016, 03:26 AM - 7 Likes   #7169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar (zebra) 135mm F3.5 on K-50

Gotta love the East Germans...

P'tite fleur
by Tormod Dalen, sur Flickr
09-16-2016, 04:07 AM - 5 Likes   #7170
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K01 with tair 300A.
This statue stands out on its own in a field. It marks the mass grave of local Maori who perished in the 1918 influenza epidemic.
Attached Images