Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 09:10 AM - 3 Likes   #7666
Forum Member

Haven't posted for a while and honestly haven't had too many good shots lately, but that's just how it goes sometimes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
11-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #7667
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She looks like she's about to cry, how long did you make her stand still for that picture you brute?

Last edited by normhead; 11-20-2016 at 09:27 AM.
11-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #7668
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
She looks like she's about to cry, how long did you make her stand still for that picture you brute?
Honestly I think she was just taking in the woods. Later on that day I did try to get her to pose and smile, but she was complaining the sun was in her eyes.
11-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #7669
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
She looks like a real hum dinger.... enjoy while you can, it doesn't last long.

11-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #7670
Forum Member

Believe me, I can't believe it's gone this fast already. I really try to slow things down when I can and enjoy it all. Oh, and she is most definitely a real hum dinger!
11-20-2016, 10:12 AM - 4 Likes   #7671
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-F 35-70 3.5-4.5

11-20-2016, 02:41 PM - 3 Likes   #7672
Pentaxian

11-21-2016, 10:44 AM - 5 Likes   #7673
Pentaxian

maple and a fern

11-21-2016, 06:17 PM - 4 Likes   #7674
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tufted Titmouse at the one of the feeders.

SMC-K 135
11-22-2016, 03:08 AM - 4 Likes   #7675
Veteran Member

K-S2, FA50/1.4 at f1.4, 1/80s ISO160

11-22-2016, 04:34 AM   #7676
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Revuenon 55mm f1.2 (PK mount)

This is one of the few posts that is actually in topic,
Twice in topic, actually:
1) these two pictures, like them or not (the concept of beauty, in itself, is very personal), show the very special optical signature of a certain lens, evidencing its quality (muted colours, beautiful glow, nice rendition of OOF areas) and its shortcoming (flare and low contrast). I think that most people who browse this forum, and this thread in particular, are looking for examples that would guide their choices. Building over time our own lens arsenal isn't simple nor cheap, and information is crucial. It allows to choose the tools that would meet our taste and our personal photographic interests.
2) these two pics show the BOKEH. Most of the others don't.
I like some, i don't like some others, but the majority of the pictures on this thread show out focus areas, not "bokeh".
I might be wrong, correct me if i do. I thought that the japanese term "bokeh" refers to the circle of confusion in out of focus highlights (hopefully circular, without onion rings, etc. etc.).
Some lenses, like the Trioplan 100mm, are highly fashionable these days because of their peculiar bokeh (soap bubble bokeh).

Having said all that, i'm fine with everything, as far as the photographer is happy with his pictures, and the viewers appreciate them, who am i? I'm happy if everybody else is happy!
I'm just asking those in the know if my definition of bokeh is correct, and expressing my own humble preference.
Personally i'd like to see more "bokeh", and less OOF areas....

BTW, the Revuenon/Tomioka 55mm f/1,2 does wonders on full frame too.
Every time i use it on my new K-1 i am suprised by its amazing rendition.
I'll see if i find one or two "very bokeh" pics that were not already posted elsewhere

cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-22-2016 at 04:42 AM.
11-22-2016, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #7677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
2) these two pics show the BOKEH. Most of the others don't. I like some, i don't like some others, but the majority of the pictures on this thread show out focus areas, not "bokeh". I might be wrong, correct me if i do. I thought that the japanese term "bokeh" refers to the circle of confusion in out of focus highlights (hopefully circular, without onion rings, etc. etc.). Some lenses, like the Trioplan 100mm, are highly fashionable these days because of their peculiar bokeh (soap bubble bokeh).
Highlight bubbles are just an aspect of Bokeh. Some people just refer to bokeh is said bubbles, but I do not agree.

Wikipedia
In photography, bokeh (originally /ˈboʊkɛ/,[1] /ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay — also sometimes pronounced as /ˈboʊkə/ BOH-kə,[2] Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.[3][4][5] Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".[6]

The last sentence in my opinion is too narrow a definition of Bokeh. There is still Bokeh when highlights are missing from OOF areas.
11-22-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #7678
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the OOF area behind or in front of the subject is the bokeh, but I'm just a beginner, so...

How each lens renders the bokeh from subtle to yikes I've drank a lot of coffee, is what I'm looking at and comparing.

But for the most part, I just enjoy the variety of photos posted in this thread
11-22-2016, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7679
Veteran Member

In Japanese, the verb 'bokeru' (暈ける, I have used kanji here to differentiate it from other words with similar or identical pronunciation which mean subtly different things) means to blur, or to be out of focus. It's used not just for photography, but for other purposes, such as the state of the world when you're short sighted and take your glasses off. This is the Japanese, but what it means in photography can be debated. I'm not tempted to define 'bokeh' too closely, but rather to say that there are plenty of different kinds of bokeh, or bokeh characteristics that can be observed. The 'soap bubble' bokeh previously mentioned, or the pleasant way that telephoto lenses make far off backgrounds into sheets of solid colour behind close subjects. For me these are all blurs, and all bokeh.

I guess bokeh is one of those interesting phenomena in photography, in that we all have something that we care about within it. Some are particularly interested in OOF highlights, some in the swirl, some in creamy smoothness and some in soap bubble drama. For me, that's the fun thing about it, and about photography in general. There is so much creative possibility here.

Last edited by edmundrt; 11-22-2016 at 06:46 AM.
11-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #7680
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Highlight bubbles are just an aspect of Bokeh. Some people just refer to bokeh is said bubbles, but I do not agree.

Wikipedia
In photography, bokeh (originally /ˈboʊkɛ/,[1] /ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay — also sometimes pronounced as /ˈboʊkə/ BOH-kə,[2] Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.[3][4][5] Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".[6]

The last sentence in my opinion is too narrow a definition of Bokeh. There is still Bokeh when highlights are missing from OOF areas.
Agreed! The bubble/ball highlight definition of bokeh is too narrow even if the rendering of points of light provide the most unambiguous insights into how a lens render OOF areas.

A good example is the "swirly bokeh" effect in which the vignetting of the aperture across the frame induces flattened bokeh balls oriented in a circular pattern around the center of the frame. Yet an image of a subject that has no strong highlights (no distinct "bokeh balls") still has the swirling effect because the optical artifacts that create a pattern of bokeh balls when imaging pin-points of light also affect all imaging of every bit of the image's structure.

One can think of the bokeh ball's shape and texture as a convolutional filter which the lens applies to all OOF elements of the image. Thus if two lenses have different bokeh balls, they will have differences in rendering of images that have no highlights, too.