Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106282 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2017, 10:25 AM - 4 Likes   #8116
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Rupert's squirrels are taking over this thread, we have to act now

So, here's some more wildlife with FA 77 and the K5IIs, very little to no cropping. There are times when I would like the AF on the K5IIs to be a bit better... although, I didn't bother to calibrate my FA 77 so that's on me.
Listen, I have done everything imaginable to get rid of the damn squirrels. I have hit the complaint button until it has stopped working, written the Mods, even went to the extreme of threatening suicide if I found another squirrel here. The only response I ever got was "That might not be a bad idea Rupert!" Apparently they have friends in High Places here? I just try to live with it.

As for the K5IIs...how I loved that camera! If you recall it was damaged in a freak accident and Mrs Rupert bought me the K1. Hatt...you would love the fast accurate focus of the K1, it is simply amazing to me. Unbelievable, but I believe it with every shot! Otherwise, the K5IIs was fully equal, or better, in IQ when using the K1 Crop Mode...which I also love!

Your shots.....those are most excellent shots, just wonderful. Nice detail , superb color, and the B/W are mighty fine too!

This should please squirrel haters! Shot these this morning while fooling around in my office......

"I'm practicing my camouflage training, so that's why you can't see me!"

"Yep, those damn rodent squirrels are the dumbest creatures on earth!"

The last one was on my new Cheater Branch....when the sap flows I should get some squirrel shots....I know everyone will be excited about that!

Regards!

02-03-2017, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #8117

Photos: Gallery
From my point of view bokeh of a lens with acceptable bokeh in most cases should not be touched by any post processing.
For not the best but as an example - the only 6-bladed smc PENTAX-M 1:2 28mm with an often nervous bokeh is able to create a nearly creamy one - if no pp is done.
K-5 IIs; f/2.0;ooc jpg.

Last edited by D. Obermann; 02-03-2017 at 11:05 AM.
02-03-2017, 11:35 AM - 12 Likes   #8118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Helios 44-2 wide open (x-posted)
02-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #8119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Great focal choice, this deserves a big print

02-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #8120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D. Obermann Quote
From my point of view bokeh of a lens with acceptable bokeh in most cases should not be touched by any post processing.
I generally agree...but will cheat if necessary. I usually just up the saturation a little.....

Love it!

Doves do nice Bigma bokeh.....though squirrels disagree.

Regards!
02-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #8121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Great focal choice, this deserves a big print
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Love it!
Wow. Thanks guys.Appreciate it
02-03-2017, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #8122
Pentaxian

FA31

02-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #8123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and not to be droll wondering the obvious, but are you sure van Gogh didn't take that?

Really enjoying it - thanks

---------------------------------

It was a foggy rainy morning, and not a squirrel in sight!

No post, just resized

D FA150-450 shot at 450@5.6 800th sec - 1600 iso - K3II

Attached Images

Last edited by clickclick; 02-03-2017 at 07:20 PM.
02-03-2017, 10:58 PM   #8124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
and not to be droll wondering the obvious, but are you sure van Gogh didn't take that?

Really enjoying it - thanks

---------------------------------

No post, just resized

D FA150-450 shot at 450@5.6 800th sec - 1600 iso - K3II

Haha. Thanks. Funny thing is, i took it some point last year, did some minor PP to it and totally forgot about it. did some digging last night and came across it,so thought id share
02-04-2017, 02:36 AM   #8125
Veteran Member

K-S2 with Tamron 70-300, 130mm f6.3.

02-04-2017, 05:26 AM   #8126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
When it comes to image processing, it's common to process for white balance, exposure, etc. But do you guys process for bokeh? The look of bokeh can change quite a bit, and I was wondering if you make a conscious effort to process for the look of it in particular...
It is a very widespread technique and many photographers do it, especially the ones taking artsy pictures of flowers and mushrooms. You can see it by being unable to imagine the same result with the same gear. Using a character rich lens (like Cooke triplets, Biotar, Biometar, small number of elements zooms and wide angle primes) already gives exceptional results with well prepared shots (introducing and removing elements from the oof areas to set up the shot or isolate the subject additionally) but PP can push it to borderline magical. That is why people do it.

I do sometimes compose my shots around bokeh and verify in LV if I am where I want to be, but for me, messing up with bokeh in PP is not necessary and I do not want to do it. I also appreciate more the shots where there are no mods as these kind of shots tell me more of the skill and gear applied to get it.
02-04-2017, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #8127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Keep lookin'...they are definitely out there...waiting to destruct and cause havoc!

QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
where there are no mods
Yep, I'd like no Mods around, they are always trying to kick me off of here! Mostly it is the fault of the damn squirrels but I get the blame.

I was posting this in another thread when I realized that squirrels used to do some really nice bokeh back in the "old days". That's before they got fat and lazy and sloppy in their work....if you can even get them to do any work?

You can see it by being unable to imagine the same result with the same gear.
Here is one from way back when I let the squirrels use my K10D to "show me" how they could do better bokeh than me. I told them it looked phony as hell, but they insisted there was no processing done to it, just done by "natural squirrel talent".

I see the sap is flowing again on the Peanut Tree this morning. He said "forget the bokeh!...we got fresh sap!"

Regards!
02-04-2017, 09:40 AM - 10 Likes   #8128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 and M 75-150 / 4:

[/URL]

[/URL]

---------- Post added 02-04-17 at 10:44 AM ----------

And one more with the same lens:

[/URL]
02-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #8129
Veteran Member

It is a very widespread technique and many photographers do it, especially the ones taking artsy pictures of flowers and mushrooms. You can see it by being unable to imagine the same result with the same gear. Using a character rich lens (like Cooke triplets, Biotar, Biometar, small number of elements zooms and wide angle primes) already gives exceptional results with well prepared shots (introducing and removing elements from the oof areas to set up the shot or isolate the subject additionally) but PP can push it to borderline magical. That is why people do it.

I do sometimes compose my shots around bokeh and verify in LV if I am where I want to be, but for me, messing up with bokeh in PP is not necessary and I do not want to do it. I also appreciate more the shots where there are no mods as these kind of shots tell me more of the skill and gear applied to get it.
I agree, I try not to process photos to death. I had noticed that the look of bokeh can change quite a bit, but never really tried to play with it that much. But that magical element you mentioned did come out a bit when I was working on a photo of our youngest who was crawling towards the camera with fall foliage and a creek in the background. It did look like she was crawling out of a painting, which is when I started thinking about processing the bokeh...
02-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #8130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
which is when I started thinking about processing the bokeh...
Squirrels say cheating is good.....and I find they are most often right. My Cheater Branches have brought me a lot of shots I would never have gotten without them. Unless the processing is obviously fake looking, I have no problem with it. The camera itself does a ton of processing on its own.....remember? Your eyes never really see the bokeh your camera/lens delivers...so in effect...it is quite phony!

We all see things differently, don't we?

"What the hell is that nasty stuff? Damn squirrels will eat anything!"

Regards!