Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple Cosmos blooms with the SMC-K 135 at f2.5

07-03-2017, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #9497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
Nice photos from everyone! Nothing as interesting as squirrels or spiders here. Just some plane jane bokeh.

Wait, aren't those black-eyes-Susans?

So wouldn't they be plain Susan bokeh? 😛

But they are nice...

-Eric
07-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #9498
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wait, aren't those black-eyes-Susans?

So wouldn't they be plain Susan bokeh? 😛

But they are nice...

-Eric
We can go with that! And thank you! They are just some of my "weeds" I refuse to cut down because they're pretty and the bees like them. I also don't cut dandelions until after the flowers fall off, for that reason. Lol.
07-03-2017, 02:20 PM - 4 Likes   #9499
Veteran Member

Another here from the F135, which I picked up for a silly good price the other day, hiding inconspicuously at the back of a lens display case in a camera shop. I don't use the135mm focal length very much, but one of the best Pentax lenses in my arsenal - the M135/3.5 - is one, so I'm not averse to them. The thing to say about the F135 is that it's a very different experience from other 135mm lenses, mostly because of the remarkably short MFD of 0.7m, which makes it a truly effective close up tool for photos of individual items such as flowers, especially on a crop sensor. This was taken at MFD at f4.

07-03-2017, 02:30 PM - 7 Likes   #9500
Pentaxian

Orange Flowers with K-3 and 16-50 F3.5

This is not synthetic!
07-03-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #9501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We can go with that! And thank you! They are just some of my "weeds" I refuse to cut down because they're pretty and the bees like them. I also don't cut dandelions until after the flowers fall off, for that reason. Lol.
The best way to get rid of dandelions is to stop mowing the grass (for a few years). With their basal leaves, they start dying out if grass or other taller vegetation puts those leaves in the shade. People intentionally brought dandelions to America, as the young leaves were eaten and the flowers were used to make dandelion wine, so maybe you don't want to get rid of them.

Black-eyed Susans are native American prairie plants, not weeds. They are very easy to grow, and easy to collect seed from if you want to grow more of them.
07-03-2017, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #9502
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos from everyone! Nothing as interesting as squirrels or spiders here. Just some plane jane bokeh.

They look great to me!

I mowed around a big patch of clover yesterday. I told my wife that was beetopia, and needed to bee saved.

07-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #9503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
The best way to get rid of dandelions is to stop mowing the grass (for a few years). With their basal leaves, they start dying out if grass or other taller vegetation puts those leaves in the shade. People intentionally brought dandelions to America, as the young leaves were eaten and the flowers were used to make dandelion wine, so maybe you don't want to get rid of them.

Black-eyed Susans are native American prairie plants, not weeds. They are very easy to grow, and easy to collect seed from if you want to grow more of them.
Mine aren't actually Black-eyed Susans. The flower looks the same, but the rest of the plant is different. They are considered a weed, but I like them. Dandelion root is also used to make a tea for medicinal purposes. It's a beneficial plant, but most people don't want them around. Lol

---------- Post added 07-03-17 at 06:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
They look great to me!

I mowed around a big patch of clover yesterday. I told my wife that was beetopia, and needed to bee saved.
As bees are now becoming endangered, I'm all for saving their food!
And thank you!

Last edited by TinaS; 07-03-2017 at 04:23 PM.
07-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #9504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine aren't actually Black-eyed Susans. The flower looks the same, but the rest of the plant is different. They are considered a weed, but I like them.
I just looked back at the post of yours that seems to be the one that was being referred to. The flowers look like one of the species of annual sunflower. The centers of Black-eyed Susans are smaller, compared to the length of the yellow "petals,"

How tall do they get? Two to four feet? They could be grown plants from the black oil sunflower seeds from your own or from a neighbor's birdfeeder. They at most get to about five feet tall, and have much smaller blooms than the mammoth Russian sunflowers that grow as tall as 12 feet.

If you don't cut them down, and leave them standing as the flower heads dry, they are going to attack goldfinches! A nice follow-up to the bees!
07-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #9505
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
I just looked back at the post of yours that seems to be the one that was being referred to. The flowers look like one of the species of annual sunflower. The centers of Black-eyed Susans are smaller, compared to the length of the yellow "petals,"

How tall do they get?

If you don't cut them down, and leave them standing as the flower heads dry, they are going to attack goldfinches! A nice follow-up to the bees!
I think these are about 3 ft right now. If they start attacking goldfinches I will take them out! lol
07-04-2017, 06:13 AM - 3 Likes   #9506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not in my garden, and I don't know what it's called, but I'm pretty sure it's not a weed

FA 28-105 PZ

-Eric
07-04-2017, 09:36 AM - 5 Likes   #9507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From last Spring with the *ist D and SMC Tak 55/1.8:
07-04-2017, 11:08 AM - 9 Likes   #9508
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"Lady Luck" On Evening Stroll

Cross post of "For Whom The Bell Tolls", Wide open @ F/1.7

07-04-2017, 01:29 PM - 11 Likes   #9509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunflower and Bee. K-3 and Sigma 150-500 at 500mm. Xpst.
07-04-2017, 02:48 PM - 13 Likes   #9510
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just took a bee and flower picture as well

Honey bee on Milkweed.
K55mm at f8 and cropped