Photos: Albums
At the beach

M85/2

M120/2.8

11-02-2017, 01:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10337
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
As mentioned earlier, I could put an m42 adapter on my Tamron 90mm and consider it an addition to my m42 prime stable, so I have 90mm covered. However, it is interesting to hear of the Tokina AT-X. But if I want to keep a K-mount adapter on that 90mm, the mid-point between my 58mm (Helios44-2) and my 105mm (PZO Amar S) is about 80mm, so 75-85 seems like the range I need to fill that gap best.

I find in the lens reviews here at the forum that there were a couple of Vivitar 85mm lenses, a early preset, and a later Series 1 model, both f1.8. I expect that the wide aperture commands a high price when they appear for sale.

Just for reference: here are a few shots with the PZO Amar S f4.5 105mm lens on bellows (permitting infinity to close-up)
If I go with another enlarger lens to fill in the 75-85mm spot, I hope it is as versatile.
I see good sharpness and average bokeh (typical of most tessar designs).
Good four elements enlarger lenses, like those made in Poland) have good performance at relatively close distances, and normally don't shine at infinity or close to 1:1 ratio. The best ones have impressive sharpness close to the center, but bokeh is not their forte. Not bad for an optical project devised more than 110 years ago! The f/2.8 version is from the thirties and the f/3.5 one was patented on 1927. Quite a long ride to these days, isn't it?
All this blurb to say that I'm not surprised by the nice performance of your old Polish enlarger lens.
If tabletop photography is one of your interests, i encourage you to continue to experiment with such objectives, especially using them at the conjugates they were designed for (40cm to around one meter should be a perfect working distance).
My compliments for what you have already squeezed out of your cheap lens. Well done!

There are a couple things I don't understand, though.
Why do you keep the PK and M42 lenses separate, like two different categories? Which camera are you using?
Why don't you consider better enlarger lenses with Plasmat design (six elements) that in some instances are exactly the same lenses used by professional large format photographers for decades, to shoot products, and also for general photography?
Apart Apo Componons and Apo Rodagons, which command an higher price, the older models can be had for quite cheap nowadays.
A Componon or Rodagon from the sixties/seventies can be found for cheaper than a Janpol Color, for example.
They are sharper, the bokeh is better, and with the right adapter ring you can use them reversed (especially the shorter focals) for extreme macro. All you need is a super cheap adapter from LTM (M39) to M42, to mount the lens on the bellows you already have.
Symmar-S and Componon-S are the same beasts, not just the glasses, also the threads and build of the front and rear groups. They were just adapted for the specific use with metal shims.
Once we opened two 135mm, one in No.0 barrel for enlargement, and the other on Compur No.0 for view camera. The elements were interchangeable and the coating looked the same.
If you buy a not_so_old Componon or a Componon-S you are actually using the same lens that was used for an incredible number of major ads by the best studio photographers, when 4x5" sheet film was an overkill. If I remember correctly the 80mm covers 6x7 film with ample movements and at close diaphragms covers 6x9. Enough for a full page magazine ad.
Long time ago I did plenty of still life work, for the most part high end fishing gears using the in-shutter versions of the Componon and Componon-S.
When it was fine to go for the cheaper roll film, I used them on 6x7 or 6x9 backs, using a Linhof camera (either an old Technika III or a Bi-System monorail).
Everything but the odd modeling and some portraits were done with those lenses, with full satisfaction. The more manageable alternative was the Pentax 6x7, that could have made good use of my enlarger lenses (no need for shutter) if I only managed to complete the conversion of a Pentacon Six bellows... but this is another story

Second hand prices of Rodagon and Componon objectives are so good, if you are patient, that lower class alternatives like Componar and Comparon aren't worth the shipment charge, IMHO.
Same with Rogonar...
Meopta enlarger lenses are also worth considering. A relatively recent 6-elements type would be a great choice, but please do first your homework and find out what is the right denomination you should look for.
Computar enlarger lenses are probably as good as the recent Apo's by Schneider or Rodenstock. If you find one for cheap (difficult!) buy it eyes closed. I'm sure you'd be impressed by the results, especially at close range it should still outresolve any present day sensor.
These are the best and most convenient choices for a 70/90mm lens that can be easily fitted to your bellows, from what I remember. Of course I missed something, but I'm sure some other users know more than I do about this specific matter.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 11-02-2017 at 01:40 AM.
11-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #10338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paolo, thanks for another thoughtful and detailed reply!

Yes, bokeh is not a great strength of this Amar S 105mm Polish enlarger lens, but it's not bad. I think the colors impressed me most, partly due to using it on my K110D for those tests. That a lens meant for use in the darkroom can have the versatility to take good pictures in the daylight at close-up and intermediate distances is very nice. I haven't gotten around to seriously testing it at true macro or infinity shots yet.

As for keeping my PK and M42 lenses separate, I don't really do that most of the time, considering that those tests of the PZO Amar S 105 were done on a K-mount dslr. It is only that, quite by chance at first, my m42 lens collection began to be dominated by prime lenses, with few zooms, and my K-mount lens collection began to be dominated by many zooms, with a very few primes. Also, I began to notice that some of those m42 primes seemed to be some of my most interesting lenses. It seemed like it would be worthwhile to fill out the focal length coverage of the m42 prime collection. After all the m42 lenses are actually the most versatile lenses I own, as they can be used on my m42 film bodies OR on my K-mount film or digital bodies. If I get a great K-mount prime or zoom, I can never use it on an m42 film body, no matter how much I might like to do so.

Actually, I have done some reading about Componon and Rodagon enlarger lenses, too. They aren't eliminated from my consideration. Your perspective on them is very helpful -- especially the close relationship between certain models and view camera lenses! Yes, I realize that the m39/m42 adapters are quite inexpensive, still that the PZO enlarger lenses were made with the m42 mount was a fun discovery when I first read about them.

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I see good sharpness and average bokeh (typical of most tessar designs).
Good four elements enlarger lenses, like those made in Poland) have good performance at relatively close distances, and normally don't shine at infinity or close to 1:1 ratio. The best ones have impressive sharpness close to the center, but bokeh is not their forte. Not bad for an optical project devised more than 110 years ago! The f/2.8 version is from the thirties and the f/3.5 one was patented on 1927. Quite a long ride to these days, isn't it?
All this blurb to say that I'm not surprised by the nice performance of your old Polish enlarger lens.
If tabletop photography is one of your interests, i encourage you to continue to experiment with such objectives, especially using them at the conjugates they were designed for (40cm to around one meter should be a perfect working distance).
My compliments for what you have already squeezed out of your cheap lens. Well done!

There are a couple things I don't understand, though.
Why do you keep the PK and M42 lenses separate, like two different categories? Which camera are you using?
Why don't you consider better enlarger lenses with Plasmat design (six elements) that in some instances are exactly the same lenses used by professional large format photographers for decades, to shoot products, and also for general photography?
Apart Apo Componons and Apo Rodagons, which command an higher price, the older models can be had for quite cheap nowadays.
A Componon or Rodagon from the sixties/seventies can be found for cheaper than a Janpol Color, for example.
They are sharper, the bokeh is better, and with the right adapter ring you can use them reversed (especially the shorter focals) for extreme macro. All you need is a super cheap adapter from LTM (M39) to M42, to mount the lens on the bellows you already have.
Symmar-S and Componon-S are the same beasts, not just the glasses, also the threads and build of the front and rear groups. They were just adapted for the specific use with metal shims.
Once we opened two 135mm, one in No.0 barrel for enlargement, and the other on Compur No.0 for view camera. The elements were interchangeable and the coating looked the same.
If you buy a not_so_old Componon or a Componon-S you are actually using the same lens that was used for an incredible number of major ads by the best studio photographers, when 4x5" sheet film was an overkill. If I remember correctly the 80mm covers 6x7 film with ample movements and at close diaphragms covers 6x9. Enough for a full page magazine ad.
Long time ago I did plenty of still life work, for the most part high end fishing gears using the in-shutter versions of the Componon and Componon-S.
When it was fine to go for the cheaper roll film, I used them on 6x7 or 6x9 backs, using a Linhof camera (either an old Technika III or a Bi-System monorail).
Everything but the odd modeling and some portraits were done with those lenses, with full satisfaction. The more manageable alternative was the Pentax 6x7, that could have made good use of my enlarger lenses (no need for shutter) if I only managed to complete the conversion of a Pentacon Six bellows... but this is another story

Second hand prices of Rodagon and Componon objectives are so good, if you are patient, that lower class alternatives like Componar and Comparon aren't worth the shipment charge, IMHO.
Same with Rogonar...
Meopta enlarger lenses are also worth considering. A relatively recent 6-elements type would be a great choice, but please do first your homework and find out what is the right denomination you should look for.
Computar enlarger lenses are probably as good as the recent Apo's by Schneider or Rodenstock. If you find one for cheap (difficult!) buy it eyes closed. I'm sure you'd be impressed by the results, especially at close range it should still outresolve any present day sensor.
These are the best and most convenient choices for a 70/90mm lens that can be easily fitted to your bellows, from what I remember. Of course I missed something, but I'm sure some other users know more than I do about this specific matter.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 11-02-2017 at 07:37 AM.
11-02-2017, 08:23 AM - 9 Likes   #10339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA18-55 on K10D:

11-02-2017, 08:41 AM - 9 Likes   #10340
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Jumper the Squirrel....always a happy little guy!

Regards!
11-02-2017, 10:08 AM - 5 Likes   #10341
Pentaxian

Nice to see you posting Rupert,best wishes to you.

DA16-85WR

11-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #10342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Ko Phangan isn't it?
How's the weather in the south?
In the north has been raining for months, till about 3 days ago.
Loi Krathong is starting, I think I'll go out with the camera tomorrow

Cheers

Paolo

11-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #10343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Ko Phangan isn't it?
How's the weather in the south?
In the north has been raining for months, till about 3 days ago.
Loi Krathong is starting, I think I'll go out with the camera tomorrow

Cheers

Paolo
That's right,Koh Phangan.I was there two weeks ago(back in cold and dull UK now,boo hoo!)
We had great weather in the south,averaging 32C very few rain showers.
Enjoy Loi Krathong,the last time I was there for it was in Phuket about 7 years ago,lovely ceremony by a lake in the south of the island.
Cheers.
11-02-2017, 04:53 PM - 14 Likes   #10344
Pentaxian

Sigma 180mm

11-02-2017, 06:01 PM - 6 Likes   #10345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Winter birdbath

K-1 + Super-Tak 55/1.8 @ f/5.6

11-03-2017, 07:15 AM - 7 Likes   #10346
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

11-03-2017, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #10347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA*200 has become one of my favorite lenses...

11-03-2017, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #10348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Auto Sears MC f2.8 28mm
(one of my K-mnt primes)
+ K10D
11-04-2017, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #10349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some p&s bokeh....
11-04-2017, 09:28 AM - 5 Likes   #10350