04-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #15136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks

my dad did some work on family history

I noticed that my name " Allen " was quite common

I told him it was nice that the name he and mom chose was spelled the same throughout the family history

his response: " spell check " [ Allen being his selected preset ]

he had no idea how Allen was being spelled by our ancestors

Sorry about the misspelling, but I have always been a creative speller, Margery is constantly getting mail addressed to Marjorie or Marjory, etc, And my family name = Coombs, is also spelled, by others, Coombes, Cooms,, Coomes, Coms, Combs, Combes, and several other variants which rarely show up in our mailbox on unsolicited solicitations. It's a place-based name meaning "a little valley or hollow."

04-30-2019, 06:28 AM   #15137
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sorry about the misspelling, but I have always been a creative speller, Margery is constantly getting mail addressed to Marjorie or Marjory, etc, And my family name = Coombs, is also spelled, by others, Coombes, Cooms,, Coomes, Coms, Combs, Combes, and several other variants which rarely show up in our mailbox on unsolicited solicitations. It's a place-based name meaning "a little valley or hollow."
no problem

just kidding and it allowed me to tell a true story

so thanks

to add " insult to injury ", due to the computer age and requirements of " first name " , I run into problems since I go by my middle name
04-30-2019, 06:34 AM - 8 Likes   #15138
Pentaxian

Super-Takumar 55/2 w/ K-1:

(@ f/2.0, ISO160, 1/60s)

(@ f/2.0, ISO200, 1/200s)
04-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #15139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might even be related to War of 1812 General Alexander Macomb, for whom a small city about 45 minutes west of me is named.

They say that people with these surnames (one of which is mine) are probably all related: Fay, Faye, Fee, Fayhee...and many other variations.

Aslyfox, a late uncle of mine would have had trouble with those first name requirements. His parents couldn't decide on a name for him and so they only gave him initials for his first and middle names: J. W.

04-30-2019, 08:28 AM - 9 Likes   #15140
Pentaxian

DA* 16-50

04-30-2019, 08:47 AM - 8 Likes   #15141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
DA* 16-50
another beautiful series I love the processing on the last shot.

DFA100

04-30-2019, 09:07 AM - 13 Likes   #15142
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kiron 105mm

04-30-2019, 09:27 AM - 5 Likes   #15143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vega 12B f/2.8 90mm

I was too eager to take these first test shots to wait for the Pentacon-6-to-Pentax adapter I ordered separately to arrive, so I taped the lens on the front of a K-mount tube extender. The infinity focus mark gives me somewhere around or a bit short of 25 feet, and obviously I'm getting a bit closer of a closest-focus-distance.

I was also too eager to take these shots to wait for good light and weather, so these were shot this morning in a stretch of slightly brighter overcast light between waves of thunderstorms. I needed to bump the K10D's iso up to 400, from my usual 100 setting.

Redbud tree blossoms, lens at a half or whole stop down from wide open:

Baby bur oak leaves, lens wide open:

Lilac blossoms, lens at f/4:

I'm pretty sure these would have popped a bit more in good light. I'll be curious to see whether I get any bubble bokeh from the lens when the background has small bright highlights.

(cross-posted)
04-30-2019, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #15144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
You might even be related to War of 1812 General Alexander Macomb, for whom a small city about 45 minutes west of me is named.

They say that people with these surnames (one of which is mine) are probably all related: Fay, Faye, Fee, Fayhee...and many other variations.

Aslyfox, a late uncle of mine would have had trouble with those first name requirements. His parents couldn't decide on a name for him and so they only gave him initials for his first and middle names: J. W....

OK, calling for stories, you asked for it:

Back in the 1990's I began getting inscrutable telephone calls; "Hey Walt, what about that accident yesterday?" "So Walt, are you going to the cookout Sunday?" etc.

I eventually determined that a policeman newly assigned to the barracks at Quabbin Reservoir had moved into town, with an unlisted address and phone number. His full name was exactly the same as mine = Walter P. Coombs, Jr. except he may spell his last name "Combs" rather than "Coombs" as I do. I eventually went to see him, just on the off chance we might be related having virtually identical names. Turns out he is in no way related - - my ancestry being English, probably along the south (there's a "Coombs Bank" there I discovered during a visit), His ancestry is Polish (!!??), BUT, his grandfather played semi-pro baseball sometime in the 1920's, and people had so much trouble with his Polish name that he changed it to the English equivalent of "little valley" which is what the Polish family name meant.

Here's the kicker. That was well over 20 years ago. Officer Co(o)mbs and I met only that once, never again, never by phone, never by EMAIL, no family get-together for a BBQ, absolutely nothing. But he has subsequently retired and for three years now I have been receiving mail addressed to "Officer Walter P. Combs" from the Retired Trooper Association of Massachusetts, reminding me my dues are due and I should attend their annual gathering. Three times over three years, most recently about six weeks back, I have returned the letter with all the information above, stating emphatically that I am not "Officer" Co(o)mbs and directing them to remove me from their mailing list. Will they send me the same letter yet again next year? Five will get you ten that they do.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-30-2019 at 10:57 AM.
04-30-2019, 04:09 PM - 8 Likes   #15145
Pentaxian

Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro @f2.8; handheld, no flash. Seeing what happens when only a small part of the image is in focus, letting everything else melt into areas of soft colour. I wanted to try to have little more than the colours and the occasional edge of a petal to hint at the "flowerness" of the subjects for results that are more suggestion or dream rather than documentary. Cross posted from the Macro Flower Club.

04-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #15146
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . " from the Retired Trooper Association of Massachusetts, reminding me my dues are due . . .
they don't care who you are so long as you pay the dues
04-30-2019, 05:04 PM - 2 Likes   #15147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bison Bokeh (from behind a fence)

SMC-K 200mm f4, and my K-5
04-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #15148

Mobile Phone Image

04-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #15149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
they don't care who you are so long as you pay the dues
I suspect that the person who may be reading the letters I send has no connection to the person who maintains the computer with the automated mailing list. It's like solicitations for my mother that I still get a few times a year, mailed to my address, not hers, and she's passed more than 20 years ago. Once you're entered onto a computerized mailing list it's next to impossible to get your name & address off.
04-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #15150
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that the person who may be reading the letters I send has no connection to the person who maintains the computer with the automated mailing list. It's like solicitations for my mother that I still get a few times a year, mailed to my address, not hers, and she's passed more than 20 years ago. Once you're entered onto a computerized mailing list it's next to impossible to get your name & address off.
right now I am stuck on a group email that I have no idea what is it about suppose to be from a local bar association group

I keep putting all of them in junk because I don't want to hit " unsubscribe " since I am not sure if I do so or hit the explanatory attachment I won't get hacked