Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

Cleaning inside of Pentax-M 135/3.5

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here - nice to see there is an active Pentax community.

I'm having trouble with a 135/3.5 lens... it seems some tiny buy (more like a flea) has climbed inside and decided to die on the inside of the front lens. Probably won't influence image quality too much, but it still bothers me.

I have some trouble disassembling the lens... I've succeeded in screwing off the front ring with the printed type numbers etc, but I have no idea on how to proceed. There are no "three screws" visible as described for other lenses etc... Anyone ever disassmbled the front part of this lens?

Thanks...

berferd.

02-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I have yet to land a M135/3.5 for myself, but I would wonder if you see any of the following.
A. Two spanner rings. As one is around the front and the other is nested behind.
B. Flat face or no seam that holds the front.
C. Single heavy slotted spanner ring.

Lacking a shroud that comes off with the three screws, the entire front group is part of the front shroud. This means that it will twist off from the helicoid and lower portion. The hint is usually condition B.
02-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've attached a picture of the front part, front ring (with the lens data printed into it) removed. Seems like type B.

Do you have any information on how I can twist this off? I have read elsewhere that (for another lens, Takumar 135) the right way to do is to set focus to "close", extend the hood, grab the lens between hood and focus ring and screw if off counter clock wise. This does not seem to work here, though. Any ideas?

Thanks, berferd
Attached Images

02-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Disassembling the lens can be very very tricky. I have one right now apart that I have not been able to put back together yet as the barrel is screw design and it right now is not focusing properly. So keep that in mind if you are taking it apart try to record all you steps and the key location points. As you may end up with focusing issues if the register distance is changed.

02-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This looks like a non AI nikkor 50mm. When unscrewing the ring that holds the front group in, try a pair of dish washing gloves. They give you superman grip and multiply your twisting force like 1000 times!

I see that little bug.
02-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by berferd Quote
I've attached a picture of the front part, front ring (with the lens data printed into it) removed. Seems like type B.

Do you have any information on how I can twist this off? I have read elsewhere that (for another lens, Takumar 135) the right way to do is to set focus to "close", extend the hood, grab the lens between hood and focus ring and screw if off counter clock wise. This does not seem to work here, though. Any ideas?

Thanks, berferd
It's a sneaky design, probably to work in the sliding hood. You have to loosen and slide off the rubber grip on the focus ring. Slide a pocket knife in there and run it around once to break the old glue. Get it about halfway up and you'll see six holes. Slide the hood forward and focus to infinity, and three screws will line up with three holes.

I'm not sure what the next step is - never had to do that. The front of the lens comes off somehow after you remove the three screws.

If you have trouble, the bug is probably not within the APS-C frame anyway.
02-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #7

Original Poster
ugh... this sounds troublesome...
unfortunately I'm not using APS-C but good old-fashioned 35mm analog.. not sure as how bad this bug will affect image quality... probably not worth the hassle?