Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Can I control the aperture on an M42 lens using the adapter

Can I control the aperture on an M42 lens using the Pentax k to m42 adapter on a Pentax K-x?

I went into a shop today to buy a K-x and took my old M42 lenses with me (see here)

The salesman fitted the M42 mount to the camera but couldn't get the aperture to work on the lenses. The problem is that the "switch" (see the red circle below) on the lenses does not get suppressed when fitted to the camera so the lenses are always left with the aperture locked to be fully open:

I've got my heart set on the K-x now but if I can't use the old lenses then I'm going to be a bit disappointed. Forgive me if there is an obvious solution but I'm new to this and I'd really like to get a Pentax! He told me that the would never work properly and I should also consider the Nikon D3100...

Thanks in advance

02-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From the picture the lens looks like a takumar lens. If so change the aperture control to auto/manual this will allow you to change the aperture ring to the value you want. Change the camera mode to manual mode and star pressing the green button. Also read the sticky with how to use manual lenses in the forums. This will help you a lot. M42 lenses can work with the kx no problem actually all pentax cameras can.

Sorry I forgot to add that on lenses that do not have the auto/man mode then you will not be able to control the aperture unless you modify the lens. It will always be wide open.

Last edited by epqwerty; 02-12-2011 at 04:33 PM.
02-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The guy at the shop you went to is a total moron and/or lied to you

Set the switch on the lens to "M" so that the M shows-- don't flip the switch towards the M where you can see the A.

In your cam settings, select "Use Aperture Ring--Permitted."

Post after you've done this, and we'll walk you through the rest of it.

I'm too lazy right now.
02-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First the good news: You certainly can use a K-x together with M42 lenses.

First thing to do is to "Allow Aperture Ring" in the cameras Custom-menu.

Next, there is nothing on a Pentax camera with K-mount that will suppress the pin, but you CAN use any Pentax Camera, including your K-x, using so-called stop-down metering:

You must set the Auto-Manual switch to Manual. This switch is the one you se as a bulge on top of your photo. You will then meter the light at the aperture that you are actually shooting with.

If this doensn't work it isn't the camera taht is the problem but the lens. I have a few M42 lenses and one just stopped working properly recenly. Lenses may come of age too....

Steen

02-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

That's the link to all the information you're likely to need, but if you do need some more someone here will have the answer.

Unlike your camera shop, it wasn't Jessops by any chance ?
02-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The guy you spoke to was wrong, BUT there is a second much smaller pin on the right side of the mount (in your photo) which DOES need to be depressed as it prevents you from switching to manual. Tape it down or something, and your lens will work!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/3954-why-auto...umar-lens.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The guy you spoke to was wrong, BUT there is a second much smaller pin on the right side of the mount (in your photo) which DOES need to be depressed as it prevents you from switching to manual. Tape it down or something, and your lens will work!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/3954-why-auto...umar-lens.html
I found that link to be a lifesaver when I started to use Takumars. Generally, though, just mounting the lens is sufficient to depress the pin.

OP: Ira is right....the salesman was either an idiot or a liar. He almost certainly gets a nice commission for flogging Nikon products. Never trust anyone whose personal financial interests lie in another direction to provide you with unbiased or accurate advice on anything. And don't assume that just because somebody works in a camera store they must know what they're talking about.

Lots of us here use those old lenses extensively, if not practically exclusively and the ability to do so was a very major factor in choosing Pentax to begin with. We have a thread in the Lens Club section, the Takumar Club, dedicated exclusively to lenses such as you were looking at in the store. It is the single most active thread on Pentax Forums and I would love nothing for than if all the people there could gather at the shop and hear that ignoramus inform us we can't use those lenses. The roars of laughter would be deafening.

I've had a similar experience at a camera shop, by the way. I wanted to take a look at an old M42 macro bellows. The salesman in an "You're just an ignorant customer and I know more than you" tone kept trying to tell me I couldn't use it. All the time he was doing that I kept humoring him with deadpan "Oh, really? Tell me more" type responses....all the while mounting it on my camera and attaching a lens to it. While I was testing it out I said, "Now....tell me again why I can't use this thing."

The very short point to this very long post is that a guy in a camera store is not a good source for learning about stuff, as a general thing.
02-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The guy at the shop you went to is a total moron and/or lied to you
That was my first impression when I first read this thread....

02-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the links guys. I've just picked up the adapter on eBay, all I need now is the K-x!

The cheapest I have seen them in the UK is 350. Can anyone recommend any shops?
02-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the Kx SRS Microsystems probably give the best balance of good prices and excellent service.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/5163/Pentax-K-x-Black-Digital-SLR-Camera---...-DAL-Lens.html

but they are asking 379 with a lens. My guess is they would sell a body for a matched price ?

If you want more adaptors for more lenses ( you know it's going to happen ) you won't go wrong with the adaptor from SRB Griturn, I know many people repeat the mantra that only the genuine Pentax adaptor is any good, but I have both and there is no difference, except the price.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

SRB are good to deal with as well.

Last edited by Lloydy; 02-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.
02-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
If you want more adaptors ...
Who would do that
Just get a camera body dedicated to M42 lenses. Works out cheaper at the end (I hope)
02-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Who would do that
Just get a camera body dedicated to M42 lenses. Works out cheaper at the end (I hope)
After you've had Takumars on your camera, using a K-mount lens is like kissing your sister. (Alright...I've never actually kissed your sister, so I don't really know for sure)
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
For the Kx SRS Microsystems probably give the best balance of good prices and excellent service.

Pentax K-x Black Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm DAL Lens - Only 379.00 - SRS Microsystems

but they are asking 379 with a lens. My guess is they would sell a body for a matched price ?

If you want more adaptors for more lenses ( you know it's going to happen ) you won't go wrong with the adaptor from SRB Griturn, I know many people repeat the mantra that only the genuine Pentax adaptor is any good, but I have both and there is no difference, except the price.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

SRB are good to deal with as well.
Cheers Lloydy but it's SRS Microsystems that made me start the thread. I drove for over an hour to get to their shop only to give me the wrong information!

I'll have a look at SRB Griturn but I'm finding it difficult to find a K-x. Most places don't have any left because they're being discontinued and I can't justify the price of a new K-r

Last edited by Shire; 02-14-2011 at 06:53 AM.