Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Clockwork:

Don't let anyone fool you--Point & Shoots more than hold their own and have several advatages IMO. And remember, cameras do not blow highlights, people do. Here are Point & Shoot shots from 3 different cameras, all of which nail White Balance better than my K20d, all of which are Jpegs out of camera, all of which were made with cameras costing far less than many lenses in the Pentax lineup. I'm sure, if they were shot Raw and PPed competently, you would be amazed. Oh, and BTW, these cameras range from 10 years old, to 5 years old. Newer point and Shoots do much better.
For the kinds of shots and situtations of the shots you posted, most will be very happy with a point and shoot. I tend to slip one in the pocket for a tough hike as well. Even my little Canon s880 performs admirably at ISO 80 or so. Where they fall down is when you have to slip into higher ISO and the camera starts slathering on the noise reduction.

02-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Genev: For the kinds of shots and situtations of the shots you posted, most will be very happy with a point and shoot. I tend to slip one in the pocket for a tough hike as well. Even my little Canon s880 performs admirably at ISO 80 or so.
Agreed--the added DOF helps in landscape shots, but the smaller sensors really can't compete with noise control like the larger Crop sensors. However, for the money, even for indoor shots, the P & S cameras do a great job--just not as good as their bigger siblings.

I know P & S cameras have gotten much better in their control of noise over the past couple of years due to superior engine-processor noise algorythms, but so too has APC grown in its ability to handle noise with its own sensor design.

It is a choice the OP needs to make for themself, but their opening lines point out they are leaning the way of the superzoom.
02-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is true. At this point, camera companies are putting 12 to 14 megapixels on a sensor the size of a corn flake.
I recently bought an Panasonic FZ100. Its only 24x, but its 14Mp and its been a real disappointment, and its back in its box. I should have known, after getting a Nikon P100 with which I was equally disappointed. At least that was only 10Mp, and I'll likely take it off the market and sell the Pana instead. I get better shots than either of those, off my old Olympus, and even off an old Fuji 8Mp with only an 18x (wish I hadn't sold that, it was much better than I gave it credit for... ).

Of course, there is nothing better than my K200 or K-r with a prime lens and I am having second thoughts about selling the 18-250 now, too, after all this discussion.
02-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #34

My experience is with a Fuji HS10, which has a 30x range.

The biggest problem was speed. Ie shot-to-shot time. I was missing shots because it was too slow. It claimed a 7fps mode, which worked, but then the camera would lock up for 20 seconds while it processed and saved the images. I found it frustrating to use.

As others have said, I didn't get the image quality I wanted. I couldn't use 100% crops. I didn't know SLRs at the time, but it was disappointing to have spent what was still a lot of money and get compromised IQ.

Although smaller than an SLR with 18-250, it was still too big to go in a pocket. The form-factor doesn't really work for me. Nowadays I either want a decent camera or I don't. If I don't, then I always have my camera phone with me and that's OK for snaps. If I care about the pictures I'm taking then I'll put up with the weight and bulk of my K-x. The HS10 didn't really fit in anywhere. I've since seen other people using superzooms as holiday cameras, but for me it's not what I want for life-time memories.

The HS10 didn't have an optical viewfinder. It has a digital one, but it's so poor I used the back panel instead. That was OK, but the K-x is a joy to use in comparison.

It was a cheaper option, but I had a lot of problems with it beyond just image quality.

02-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

What a nice forum!

I would have said: "XXX XXXXXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXXX XX XXXX XXXXX"

My opinion might have been influenced by the op having nearly 300 post on PF prior.

Even a "very close" cousin would know the differences in IQ by now.