Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Care and Feeding of Limited Lenses?

Now that I have three of them, and obviously they are not all on the camera/s at once, I'm wondering what the general consensus is, for care of the lenses when not in use, but when may be required quickly and easily at any time, when out and about...

At this point, I am keeping them in their little baggies, in my large camera bag and I wonder if this is overkill. Just thinking I might be overdoing it... will they be safe in a compartment without their individual protective bags? I don't put them in any real danger (eg I'll never be seen dropping the camera bag on the sand at the beach) but I guess because I've spent so much on them now (and plan to spend even more) I fret over making sure they don't break or get damaged in any other way.

Advice please?

02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My bag has individual prime lens compartments, so I don't use the little bags. However, I never let the lenses touch each other in transit, as the metal finish can scratch. Therefore, if you have them "loose" in the bag, I think keeping them in the leather is for the best.
02-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Doesn't matter how you do it, just make sure they aren't able to rub against other metal surfaces. I keep mine in their little bags and stuff them together into one large compartment in my camera bag. I can tell from the size of each pouch which lens is which.
02-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys... so I was on the right track...

@paperbag... is your bag one of those you beaut, superduper cases with cutouts in the foam?

@twitch... oh dear. My baggies are all the same size. Not the same quality though, and the grain on each is different.

02-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep all my Fa and Da Ltd's in their individual bags in my camera bag. I don't see it as overkill, but prudence. On occasion I pull out the DA35 when I'm looking for the da 40 or Fa77 (or some other combination of mistaken lens) but that doesn't bother me too much as long as 'my precious-es' are safe and well.

As for feeding them, I find they are happiest when attached to a camera of some description, taking photo's
02-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nope, my bag is nothing special.

Nikon Compact Digital SLR Bag : DSLR Bags - Best Buy Canada

(I know, sacrilegious).

It has room for 4 primes lenses + slr with zoom, or 3 primes with flash and slr+lens, plus all the little things you bring. You might be able to stuff more zooms in there but I've never tried. It just has little velco dividers you can arrange to create 4 little pockets. It's enough for my needs.
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
@twitch... oh dear. My baggies are all the same size. Not the same quality though, and the grain on each is different.
Look closer, they actually aren't for the ones I own: 15 > 70 > 21 > 40. Although the 35 which I dont own looks like it would be very similair in size to the 15. It's probably more accurate to say I tell which is which by the size of the lens in the bag rather than the size of the bag itself

02-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

EDIT, made error with post using mobile phone

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-13-2011 at 10:18 PM.
02-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i keep my limiteds in their leather pouches, and i keep my A series primes in stubbie coolers.
02-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Nope, my bag is nothing special.

Nikon Compact Digital SLR Bag : DSLR Bags - Best Buy Canada

(I know, sacrilegious).

It has room for 4 primes lenses + slr with zoom, or 3 primes with flash and slr+lens, plus all the little things you bring. You might be able to stuff more zooms in there but I've never tried. It just has little velco dividers you can arrange to create 4 little pockets. It's enough for my needs.
Looks good... I might have to reconsider using my Crumpler, which is annoyingly difficult (and barking noisy) to open at times. It has multiple little velcro dividers and I am thinking, not too difficult to arrange to take the primes.

Sacrilege? Naww, just making use of whats best for the purpose

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Look closer, they actually aren't for the ones I own: 15 > 70 > 21 > 40. Although the 35 which I dont own looks like it would be very similair in size to the 15. It's probably more accurate to say I tell which is which by the size of the lens in the bag rather than the size of the bag itself
I'd expect those you have to be of different sizes, but the 43, 35 and 15 all look the same to me, when sitting side by side. (except for the grain and embossed "pentax" label)

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
i keep my limiteds in their leather pouches, and i keep my A series primes in stubbie coolers.
Stubbie coolers? I suppose they would be useful for lens-keeping-safe. I hope they arent branded, ewww.
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Store your lenses in a good dry box when not in use where you can regulate the relative humidity to prevent mold or fungus from growing.
Storing lenses in pouches or camera bags may give physical protection but doesn't prevent fungal growth on your expensive investment.
This is a big issue if where you live has high humidity but I've seen fungus hit a FA 77 and the person was staying in an area that was pretty dry.
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Store your lenses in a good dry box when not in use where you can regulate the relative humidity to prevent mold or fungus from growing.
Storing lenses in pouches or camera bags may give physical protection but doesn't prevent fungal growth on your expensive investment.
This is a big issue if where you live has high humidity but I've seen fungus hit a FA 77 and the person was staying in an area that was pretty dry.
I keep the silica gel packs and replace them every so often (not as often as I should)... won't that suffice? The lenses may not be in use all the time but they are with me whenever I go out... just might only use one of them. They don't go months without being used.
02-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Silica packs alone won't do much unless the lens is kept in an air tight zip lock bag or container. The silica packs would just be absorbing moisture from the ambient air. It is always a good idea to use your lenses often to keep fresh air circulating and the mechanical parts moving.
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

Stubbie coolers? I suppose they would be useful for lens-keeping-safe. I hope they arent branded, ewww.
Yeah its a perfect firm fit for alot of Pentax primes, and they provide great protection, also handy as a "bag filler" in the larger bags. And they are brand new, never had a drink in them.

But at home not in use, i keep them in a dry box.

Im not sure what you mean by "arent branded, ewww" ???
02-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im not sure what you mean by "arent branded, ewww" ???
I guess I'd be a bit reluctant to pull a lens out of a cooler that had Tooheys, VB or XXXX all over it in bright colours. But I'm a bit like that