Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Travelling to Canada with 80+ lenses

Hi all - I'm from Canada and been working in Vietnam for past 7 years. I will be returning to Canada this summer with my family.

During my past 7 years in Vietnam, I've bought 2 bodies (K100D and K10D) and over 80 lenses, mostly MF and a set of 3 DA limiteds. The total estimated value of those 80 lenses is probably $7,000-$10,000 depending who is valuating them

My question is do I need to do anything to bring those lenses and the bodies back with me to Canada in summer 2011? Any special declaration at the customs? Any extra precaution? Will I be taxed at the Canadian border?

No need to say that I have no invoice or whatsoever for those lenses.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by ducdao; 02-14-2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Lenses value
02-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #2

hmmm, how can they know that you didn't bring them from Canada when you left?
02-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
hmmm, how can they know that you didn't bring them from Canada when you left?
They don't. That's the problem. I got the majority of those lenses while in Vietnam. When I left Canada I only had 5-6 lenses with me.
02-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Hi all - I'm from Canada and been working in Vietnam for past 7 years. I will be returning to Canada this summer with my family.

During my past 7 years in Vietnam, I've bought 2 bodies (K100D and K10D) and over 80 lenses, mostly MF and a set of 3 DA limiteds. The total estimated value of those 80 lenses is probably $3,000-$5,000 depending who is valuating them

My question is do I need to do anything to bring those lenses and the bodies back with me to Canada in summer 2011? Any special declaration at the customs? Any extra precaution? Will I be taxed at the Canadian border?

No need to say that I have no invoice or whatsoever for those lenses.

Thanks for your help!
You should check with CBSA and visit the Canadian Embasy in Vietnam before you come home.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Phil.

02-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

no so can't you just say you brought them to Vietnam?

otherwise, yeah, I don't know how much you'll have to pay. good luck.
02-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You should check with CBSA and visit the Canadian Embasy in Vietnam before you come home.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

Phil.
Thanks, Phil. Will do.

I'm in Ho Chi Minh city right now so I guess consulate would be fine since the embassy is in Hanoi.
02-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you'll be fine (not have to pay). People who live abroad for an extended period are allowed to buy things, and you can move home with your possessions. I would say that consulting with the embassy/consulate is a good idea though (not just for your lenses, just in general, I mean, did you buy any clothes too? etc.?) $5000 isn't so much for 7 years after all.
02-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
I think you'll be fine (not have to pay). People who live abroad for an extended period are allowed to buy things, and you can move home with your possessions. I would say that consulting with the embassy/consulate is a good idea though (not just for your lenses, just in general, I mean, did you buy any clothes too? etc.?) $5000 isn't so much for 7 years after all.
I thought so too but you never know these days with the custom guys. I don't want to be branded as a lenses smuggler when I show up at the airport with all my lenses

Last edited by ducdao; 02-14-2011 at 02:50 AM.
02-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I thought so too but you never know these days with the custom guys. I don't want to be branded as a lenses smuggler when I show up at the airport with all my lenses
Just made a calculation, the value of the lenses is somewhere between $7,000 and $10,000. Just my 3 DA limited is probably worth $1,200 and I have a bunch of CZ and Takumar/Pentax 85mm.
02-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There should be nothing to declare as they are part of your household possessions

Go on line and check the customs canada site
02-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
you should check with CBSA and visit the Canadian Embasy in Vietnam before you come home.
I agree. Even though they belong to you and you are moving back to the country after a long absence, the correct (and safe) thing to do is to check the laws regarding importation of goods. Your embassy should be able to help you with this, they will explain the rules and tell you which forms (if any) to fill.
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when I moved back to canada after 2 years abroad, all we did was to declare, when entering canada, the total value of goods to follow.

this was the entire household contents in a container.

You fill out the forms and put everything into the container. camera also went, packed in a 2 cubic foot box lined with foam rubber, with cut out holes for all the lenses,

there is no big issue. What you do need to do however, is fill out a form for the shipper, with all the contents, including serial numbers and values (for insurance purposes)

That is how I got started with an inventory of my household goods, I had to, to ship it.
02-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

just don't declare it for commercial purposes and you should be all good. the common practice for bringing stuff from abroad is the "out of the box" rule which saves people time from explaining things once the scans shows up. don't claim anything worth more than $10,000. personal possessions are often ignored as long as it's not a luxury vehicle, bunch of jewelries and boxes of cigarettes.
02-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
Forum Member

you own over 80 lenses?????
02-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #15

show us

show us your work if you dont mind.