Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
The new bigma

I finally pulled the trigger on a Sigma 50-500. And it's the OS version. As luck would have it it arrived shortly before I had to leave for work so it was unboxed, mounted on the K-7 and that's about it. I'm hoping to do a comprehensive comparison of the in-camera SR versus the in-lens OS (there's two settings for it).

02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
wow nice to read that results.
02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
The REAL new bigma: Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM f/PNTX 136109 B&H Photo

tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah whatever. I don't make enough money to spring for that bad boy. And it still won't get me to 500mm without another expenditure.

Oh and thanks for raining on my parade. :tongue:

02-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,259
Yeah that price is a bit steep. I hope it falls to the mid $2k's- probably will after a couple months!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Yeah whatever. I don't make enough money to spring for that bad boy. And it still won't get me to 500mm without another expenditure.

Oh and thanks for raining on my parade. :tongue:
As nice as a 120-300/2.8 sounds, I certainly can't afford it either!
Looking forward to see what you make of the Bigma, Mel.
Will be particularly interesting to see how OS compares to SR at the long end.
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah that price is a bit steep. I hope it falls to the mid $2k's- probably will after a couple months!

I don't know, I don't think the old version ever fell below $3K until recently when it got discontinued, but their new 70-200 just dropped by $300, so you never know. Of course, that lens was clearly overpriced relative to the results it delivered and got a very mediocre review in PopPhoto.

I'm kinda surprised Sigma's offering the 120-300 in Pentax mount. I thought they figured their more premium-priced lenses were too rich for our blood. I think maybe we have the K-5's hosannas to thank for their change of heart.
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
re the 120-300F2.8, how does it compare at 300mm to the 300F2.8 prime?

For me, already owning a 70-200F2.8 (sigma which I love) I would think a 300 prime miight be a better option.

Also, has sigma released an HSM TC for the pentax line yet, because the real interest I have would be to get to either 450F4 or 600F5.6 with this lens.

The sigma TCs I have used with my 70-200F2.8 are excellent, and produce excellent results when used with sigma lenses.

02-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member
mel's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,531
Original Poster
Well one of the main attractions for me with the 50-500 is the ability to get both the near side and far side of a regulation soccer field with one camera.
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,132
Wasn't the original said to match, and even beat, some primes? And that even the designers weren't quite sure of how and why?
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Nomad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 406
Looking forward to what you produce with it Mel!! I just got a VERY good copy of the old Bigma and am loving it!! It produces well above my abilities so I really can't ask for more.

Enjoy
02-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
re the 120-300F2.8, how does it compare at 300mm to the 300F2.8 prime?

For me, already owning a 70-200F2.8 (sigma which I love) I would think a 300 prime miight be a better option.

Also, has sigma released an HSM TC for the pentax line yet, because the real interest I have would be to get to either 450F4 or 600F5.6 with this lens.

The sigma TCs I have used with my 70-200F2.8 are excellent, and produce excellent results when used with sigma lenses.

A lot of these recent Sigma's (incl. HSM's) are said to be compatible with their existing TC's. I didn't think they would work because they lacked the HSM contact, but, again, that is the claim. Unless it's just Pentax that doesn't work for some reason.
02-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member
borno's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: md-usa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I finally pulled the trigger on a Sigma 50-500. And it's the OS version. As luck would have it it arrived shortly before I had to leave for work so it was unboxed, mounted on the K-7 and that's about it. I'm hoping to do a comprehensive comparison of the in-camera SR versus the in-lens OS (there's two settings for it).
I have seen plenty of great looking pics with the bigma. I often wish for a little more reach with my 100-400mm (canon), 500mm would be really handy (as would 50mm). The in lens OS is really nice with a telephoto, especially if you drink as much coffee as I do.

FWIW the 120-300mm will list for $4700 : (

Last edited by borno; 02-14-2011 at 07:03 PM.
02-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm kinda surprised Sigma's offering the 120-300 in Pentax mount. I thought they figured their more premium-priced lenses were too rich for our blood. I think maybe we have the K-5's hosannas to thank for their change of heart.
That's silly: it's not like it's that hard to put a K-mount on a lens that costs more than some cars. "I would like to give you several thousand dollars if you'll do a little more engineering and machining."

"OK."
02-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #15
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
doh

We'll have to wait and see if it's worth the price tag from B&H it looks like. I won't be finding out first hand though.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, os, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigma or..... fccwpe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 02-14-2010 06:45 PM
The Bigma... Do i want it? domfijac Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 04-11-2009 02:23 PM
Bigma - Where to get? wa5am Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-16-2008 05:47 AM
Where's the Bigma? J.Scott Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 09-17-2007 10:21 PM
Looking for the Bigma steve917 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 03-18-2007 03:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top