Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photozone.de tests available "soon" - DA L 35mm 2.4 & 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 ED AL

It seems tests on the DA L 35mm 2.4 and the 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 ED AL are "coming soon" to Photozon.de's lens test database for Pentax lenses.

Apparently they will be tested using a K-5.

I've spent way, way too much time on Photozone researching lenses to satisfy LBA.

02-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yeah I saw that too. I'm looking forward to the 18-135 review!
02-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Forum Member

I offered mine 31 ltd MIV for comparison with MIJ and Klaus said that 18-135 has higher priority.
02-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hramat Quote
I offered mine 31 ltd MIV for comparison with MIJ and Klaus said that 18-135 has higher priority.
Comparing two random lens samples will likely just result in some measure of sample variation rather than any indication of possible differences regarding manufacturing location.

02-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Some people believe that there is a difference caused by different assembling location
02-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Some people believe that there is a difference caused by different assembling location

Some people believe that the earth is flat, but that doesn't mean it's true. Ricehigh is considered by many people as someone who devotes his life to bashing Pentax. I for one don't place much creedence in anything he posts on his blog.
02-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I for one don't place much creedence in anything he posts on his blog.
I for one never read his blog, but whenever I come across one of his opinions (doesn't happen all that much lately) I feel comfortable believing the opposite of what he writes is probably true...
02-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm looking forward to the review, but if tested on the K5, will the lens results be difficult to compare to previous lenses tested on the K10d? Like many others, I'm really interested in seeing how the 18-135 compares with known quantities in my collection like the 17-70 and 18-55 in a full test.

02-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have intentionally placed "some".

I have only offered the lens for the test (I live quite close), if Klaus would be interested to test the lens again (previous test was done in 2007). I was not aware that he was changing the camera to K5. He said that afterwards and also mentioned that the results could (will) vary based on camera body.

If he would like, would be able to and would have the time to test the lens, this is entirely his decision.

Personally, I don't like that Pentax moved the assembly location of premium lenses out of Japan and kept the same price (regardless the quality).
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally, I don't like that Pentax moved the assembly location of premium lenses out of Japan and kept the same price (regardless the quality).
That move is helping Hoya keep Pentax in the black. Some people will always cast doubt, that non-Japanese and non-German factories makes shoddy equipment when the truth is that any product is susceptible to defects regardless of the country in which the said item is made. It all boils down to quality control.

Personal experience:
- My MIV Pentax lens works well
- I've Olympus lenses MIC, both are working perfectly
- I bought a Tammy 28-75 in HK, I had a choice of MIC or MIJ (store had both in stock). MIJ one front-focused while MIC one focused properly. I went with MIC, and the lens has yet to fail.

Anecdotal experience:
- Sigma lenses, all are MIJ, and yet we hear many anecdotes of Sigma lenses misfocusing and failing. Not to say Sigma is bad, but that there still are bad apples (as with any company).

Will I buy MIC? Sure, as long as the one I'm buying tests well. Will I buy MIV? Ditto. MIJ? Sure. I'll buy lenses regardless of location where it's made, as long as it does what it's supposed to do when I test it. I suspect Klaus feels the same way, which is why he probably put the MIV versus MIJ test at the bottom of his priorities.

Just my 2 cents.
02-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
That move is helping Hoya keep Pentax in the black. Some people will always cast doubt, that non-Japanese and non-German factories makes shoddy equipment when the truth is that any product is susceptible to defects regardless of the country in which the said item is made. It all boils down to quality control.
Exactly. Good manufacturing procedures will deliver good products, especially in Asia. From my own business experience (we have an R&D office in North America and an assembly line in china) the chinese workers will assemble a product EXACTLY how you tell them. So it's your responsibility to describe the process perfectly well, then you can fully trust the chinese employees to follow your instructions. The responsibility is actually not on them.
02-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Forum Member

I have no issue with my MIV lens, also Sigma 17-70 MIJ I have I see no issue.