Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Incredible Deal!

For those afflicted with terminal LBA.............I just noriced that while I was in the shower, a seemingly mint SMC A 300/4 in the case went for a record $0.01! Of course adding shipping brought it to around $20, maybe beynd the reach of many of us............

Pardon me while I go and pound sand for a few days...................... (8- (~

10-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
For those afflicted with terminal LBA.............I just noriced that while I was in the shower, a seemingly mint SMC A 300/4 in the case went for a record $0.01! Of course adding shipping brought it to around $20, maybe beynd the reach of many of us............

Pardon me while I go and pound sand for a few days...................... (8- (~
That would be on eBay..........
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the oddest post. In the shower??? Post the link, there has to some error there.
10-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

I'm betting it's actually the A*300/4, listed as an A 300 and selling from Murray Kentucky, that he's talking about. If so it shows as ended due to a listing error with no bids, though I think it was up to $186 with several days to go last I checked. I was watching that one too and suspect the seller cancelled the bids and the auction for an outside of Ebay deal since it's not been relisted yet. Seller also had his yahoo email address displayed in the listing for easy contact.

If I'm right, I wonder if the seller got as much as he would have in the auction or if the buyer or seller one isn't taking it outside ebay to pull a scam.

10-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that was the one. I did not notice the listing error notice........sorry to be so............odd!
10-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see, I bet he wouldn't get the top buck on a side deal. Some of these A series are selling for some wild prices lately.

John I was just ribbing you. Wondering if you had your computer in the shower with you....
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

I was watching that auction (#270176198657) even though I knew it'd go out of my price range even if it were merely an A lens and not an A*. I have to admit my first thought was to contact the guy and see what he'd take outside Ebay since I'm only a few hours away.

I'd love to know what it really went for and if the transaction works out in the end. I'd really hate to think someone offered him $250-$300 outside Ebay and he jumped on it... cause that coulda been me . FWIW - He ended an A 70-210 the same way about two hours later.
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Maybe the seller really will re-list, there was an error in listing as 1.4 not the correct f/4.

One can always hope!

10-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

He had it listed as a 300mm 1.4 lens. I figured that was a simple typo, got it confused with 1:4, then I noticed that the description was for a 50mm f/2.0 lens, and I figured maybe they're cut and pasting from an older auction. Then I noticed the picture and I figured it was too good to be true. It was kind of like buying a lottery ticket, I knew I wasn't going to win, but it was fun to imagine!
10-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
He had it listed as a 300mm 1.4 lens. I figured that was a simple typo, got it confused with 1:4, then I noticed that the description was for a 50mm f/2.0 lens, and I figured maybe they're cut and pasting from an older auction. Then I noticed the picture and I figured it was too good to be true. It was kind of like buying a lottery ticket, I knew I wasn't going to win, but it was fun to imagine!
This reminds me of an idea I had... a campaign you might like to join... I propose a new law, whereby anyone who lists a 50mm f/2 as "f/1.2" will be shot. (But since I'm a reasonable man: Only shot in the foot if they can demonstrate that it was an honest mistake)
10-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KyPainter Quote
I was watching that auction (#270176198657) even though I knew it'd go out of my price range even if it were merely an A lens and not an A*. I have to admit my first thought was to contact the guy and see what he'd take outside Ebay since I'm only a few hours away.

I'd love to know what it really went for and if the transaction works out in the end. I'd really hate to think someone offered him $250-$300 outside Ebay and he jumped on it... cause that coulda been me . FWIW - He ended an A 70-210 the same way about two hours later.
The photos he posted are definitely that of an A*.