Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fa85mm on Eekbay

SMC PENTAX-FA* 85mm 1:1.4 AF portrait lens w/ hood BIN - eBay (item 310295400248 end time Mar-13-11 12:40:55 PDT)

Saw this and thought I'd give a heads up.

I want it, but cannot justify it. (I have the FA77) Does that mean that I finally have LBA under control?

02-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
damn, people really jack up the price on the FA* lenses on Ebay, I sold my FA* 85/1.4 on here for $1100 and it was whole lot better shape than whoever is listing the one on Ebay.

Sigma 85/1.4 would be a great choice, and you have a few hundreds dollars left over...
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I were to buy another 85mm lens at this stage it would be the Samyung 85mm 1.4.

It's manual focus, but boy is it a great lens, and only around $400.

(I had one but it got stolen. The camera shop who did the insurance claim didn't deal with this lens brand and thus they gave me the FA77 in lieu. Happy days!)

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.
02-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I consider Sigma lenses disposable so I won't spend much on them no matter how attractive the spec appear. As to the majority of FA* lenses, let's say they are way over-hyped and overpriced. They make great collector pieces though if buying now.

02-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

IMO there are 3 FA* lenses are are still largely unmatched by the competition, and this is one of them (the other 2 being the 200mm macro and 300/2.8). Even thought I'd say it's still worth it for $1300, I'm glad I got mine back when these went for $900 ish.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a FA*85 last week for such price and I don't regret a single coin. Just look at this:
IMGP3471: Jarda_Houdek: Galleries: Digital Photography Review

That is f1.7! And shot through the dirty glass that was installed in the zoo. Amazing.
02-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Well it is a wonderfull great lens. Expensive, but then again you get the joy of using it.
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #8

Hmmm, seller is in Denver, CO and his ebay name is K-mount. I wonder if his first name is Ned?

02-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I've seen that seller quite a bit. I don't know what his name is though. He always has some interesting stuff though a little high priced IMO. I only (Only ) paid $1200 for mine.

02-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I consider Sigma lenses disposable so I won't spend much on them no matter how attractive the spec appear.
That's your call, but I will venture to say that Sigma lenses are anything but disposable, and that anyone saying as much must not have used them often...
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's your call, but I will venture to say that Sigma lenses are anything but disposable, and that anyone saying as much must not have used them often...
I used to be using Sigma lenses only for many years and had some fond memory. However, Sigma lenses being less expensive for good reasons. Their structural designs and materials are generally inferior and wear and depreciate faster than top end C/S/N/P lenses. I think if one had some serious money to spend, Sigma would not be the choice. The same applies to Tamron as well.
02-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

I used to be using Sigma lenses only for many years and had some fond memory. However, Sigma lenses being less expensive for good reasons. Their structural designs and materials are generally inferior and wear and depreciate faster than top end C/S/N/P lenses. I think if one had some serious money to spend, Sigma would not be the choice. The same applies to Tamron as well.
This is 2011, and what you're claiming isn't valid nowadays.

Ever shoot with or see the results of the Sigma 10-20? And what Pentax lens covers that ground so beautifully, let alone at that price?

And the Tammy 90 Macro compared to the Pentax?

Come on--a fantastic lens, and you would have to really split hairs to say the Pentax is "better."
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is 2011, and what you're claiming isn't valid nowadays.

Ever shoot with or see the results of the Sigma 10-20? And what Pentax lens covers that ground so beautifully, let alone at that price?

And the Tammy 90 Macro compared to the Pentax?

Come on--a fantastic lens, and you would have to really split hairs to say the Pentax is "better."
I was refering to the build quality of their lenses, not optical performance. Sigma & Tamron are capable of producing awesome optics and I think, for example, the old Sigma 24/2.8 beats any Pentax 24 by a wide margin. Also, I was comparing them to the better made OEM lenses, not their low end plastic wonders. Some people cannot read I guess.
02-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

While the optical performance of some Sigma lenses is great (I like the 180mm macro a lot) even the EX series are cheaply and lousy made compared to the FA*. Even let's say DA14 has a better built quality than EX sigma.
Yesterday I wrote a short "review" of the FA*85 including full size samples:
Pentax Friends Site - Galerie, Forum • Zobrazit téma - Pentax FA* 1:1.4 85mm IF

It is unfortunately for you in Czech, but with some luck you may read it with the Google translate service.
02-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I was refering to the build quality of their lenses, not optical performance. Sigma & Tamron are capable of producing awesome optics and I think, for example, the old Sigma 24/2.8 beats any Pentax 24 by a wide margin. Also, I was comparing them to the better made OEM lenses, not their low end plastic wonders. Some people cannot read I guess.
You're already starting to nuance your opinion, good...

You're free to say "I don't like, and won't use, Sigma lenses, and Tamron lenses". That's up to you. But saying, in essence, "Sigma and Tamron lenses are poorly made and not worth anyone's money" is misleading to others who might read you and actually believe what you say.

In simpler words, let's put it this way : you may claim one thing, but experience shows otherwise.