Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma DL Macro Super 70-300mm

Anyone have any experience with the Sigma 70-300mm lenses?

Would the DL Macro function on a K-x or will I be stuck in manual mode?

I went and impulse bought one off eBay ($37, including shipping) then poked through the reviews on here and they only served to puzzle me a bit more about what these lenses are.

If anyone has any sample shots from the lens, I'd love to see them...

02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have a version of this lens rebranded as a Quantaray (Ritz camera rebrands - but the rear lens cap has the greek letter for sigma printed on the inside ). The lens has a macro capability at 300mm via a switch on the side of the lens. When you zoom to 300mm, you can flip the switch into macro mode. This will allow the lens to focus to about 3 feet, which is half-life size (1:2) at this focal length. This macro capability is ONLY available at 300mm and engaging the macro mode locks the lens at 300mm - you must bring the focus of the lens back to normal (non-macro) range in order to disengage the switch and adjust the zooming of the lens again.

My experience with this lens seems to match the ratings in the third party lens reviews (6.5-7.5/10 rating). Construction is decent overall but the lens is a little weighty due to the metal used in the build. The focus seems a tad sluggish for a screw driven focus lens. At 300mm, the lens is a little soft. Its a fair lens, and since there arent a lot of options for Pentax users for 200-300mm+ this isnt a bad lens option. For $37 Id say you did well (the lens listed for $199-249 new 12 ish years ago - I paid $199 for mine). I dont use mine as much anymore as I find that my 50-135 provides superior image quality cropped compared to this lens up to about 200-225mm, however, if I absolutely need the reach above that point, this lens works out well enough.
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I have a version of this lens rebranded as a Quantaray (Ritz camera rebrands - but the rear lens cap has the greek letter for sigma printed on the inside ). The lens has a macro capability at 300mm via a switch on the side of the lens. When you zoom to 300mm, you can flip the switch into macro mode. This will allow the lens to focus to about 3 feet, which is half-life size (1:2) at this focal length. This macro capability is ONLY available at 300mm and engaging the macro mode locks the lens at 300mm - you must bring the focus of the lens back to normal (non-macro) range in order to disengage the switch and adjust the zooming of the lens again.

My experience with this lens seems to match the ratings in the third party lens reviews (6.5-7.5/10 rating). Construction is decent overall but the lens is a little weighty due to the metal used in the build. The focus seems a tad sluggish for a screw driven focus lens. At 300mm, the lens is a little soft. Its a fair lens, and since there arent a lot of options for Pentax users for 200-300mm+ this isnt a bad lens option. For $37 Id say you did well (the lens listed for $199-249 new 12 ish years ago - I paid $199 for mine). I dont use mine as much anymore as I find that my 50-135 provides superior image quality cropped compared to this lens up to about 200-225mm, however, if I absolutely need the reach above that point, this lens works out well enough.
The macro mode works from 200mm to 300mm not just at 300mm. But for 1:2 yes you need to be at 300mm. Just wanted to add this information. I'd try looking into the APO version as it is better in terms of IQ. Same design and all but can be identified with the red line around the barrel. and it says APO.
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
The macro mode works from 200mm to 300mm not just at 300mm. But for 1:2 yes you need to be at 300mm. Just wanted to add this information. I'd try looking into the APO version as it is better in terms of IQ. Same design and all but can be identified with the red line around the barrel. and it says APO.
Yours may, but mine does not (Mine may not be the 'super' version and just the regular...it was a rebrand after all). There seem to have been several revisions of this lens (the database here lists 4 - 2 DL and 2 DG) where in every case Ive seen the optical formula remains VERY similar. One revision, which was "claimed" to be the best, had the APO designation, but I havent seen or heard anything that makes one stand out among the rest.

Interestingly enough, Tamron also made a lens around the same time frame that was also a 70-300 with a macro switch at 300. Ive seen some versions of this lens that had a macro switch from 180-300, although I dont recall if that was a Sigma or Tamron version.

02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hrm Something new I didn't know. I thought all the versions of it went from 200-300 in macro mode. My mistake. I know one version of the tamron has 180-300 for macro mode. As for sample pictures. I'm going to refer you to the post in the Beginner Corner forum as there is another topic similar to this one and I've posted some pictures from my APO version of the lens in that post.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/133420-good-sec...ns-my-k-x.html
02-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
All that is accurate. Here is one hand-held "macro" shot, about 20 inches away.
I always had trouble with the sticky macro switch.

That was before the lens suffered an aperture-blade death, apparently while on the shelf :-(
02-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

I have the non-APO DL macro (bought in Singapore 1999) and mine only lets you use the macro switch at 300 and locks the zoom - weird that there are different versions. Image quality is pretty bad wide open (low contrast, soft etc.) but is actually not bad stopped down to F8 or so. The zoom ring on mine isn't very smooth, but it helps to minimize zoom creep. I don't find the screw drive focus slow, but it will hunt in low light. I think you will have some fun with it for $37, and can probably recoup your investment if you find you want something else.

02-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sambo Quote
I have the non-APO DL macro (bought in Singapore 1999) and mine only lets you use the macro switch at 300 and locks the zoom - weird that there are different versions. Image quality is pretty bad wide open (low contrast, soft etc.) but is actually not bad stopped down to F8 or so. The zoom ring on mine isn't very smooth, but it helps to minimize zoom creep. I don't find the screw drive focus slow, but it will hunt in low light. I think you will have some fun with it for $37, and can probably recoup your investment if you find you want something else.
This is what I figured when I grabbed it. Since I was popping back and forth to the forums here to look at the ratings on the different lenses I was seeing on eBay, when I spotted this I figured "eh, if the lens isn't my bag, I can always resell the thing".