Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did my last couple of outings with just the 21/50 combo, though I admit that there were times when I didn't get quite the shot I wanted, but one adapts. It is wonderfully easy to have one lens on the camera and one in a pocket. A real advantage in looking non-pro without a vest or bag (and with tiny lenses) is that people are more at ease with having their picture taken by a supposed amateur.

Since I like to take portraits, I wouldn't go out with anything shorter than the 50. The 70 is a wonderful portrait lens, but wouldn't work for a 2 lens kit.. Putting 3 small lenses in a fanny pack would keep my appearance non-threatening, but changing lenses doesn't. If I were to take 4 I'd go for 15/21/40/70. If Pentax still made a 28, for 3 lenses, I would choose 15/28/50. The optics on non-limited primes are just fine.

02-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good point, GeneV. It barely takes any space at all.

It is mostly a money/justification thing at this point (if I primarily use the 35, should I really hang onto a lens so close in FOV that I could sell for a decent price?) That is why I probably will never sell my Helios - although I rarely use it I wouldn't get much for it, and it is pretty cool.

Also, I love how unobtrusive the camera is with the DA 40 on it (I imagine it's even better with the K-x or K-7, as opposed to my brick of a K20d).

I guess the 21 would be similar to the 40 in that way (although larger than the 40, especially with the lens hood).

I'm looking at my K20 with the 40 on it right now (I was comparing the 35 and 40 this morning). It's gonna be tough to sell...
02-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #18

Not that I'm trying to make things tougher for you or anything . . . but . . .

- The 40 is very nice on the K-7, and I've used it a lot on a K2000 as well, often as a one-lens light travel set up.

- I didn't mention the DA21, but I have it and have found it to be a great general puprose travel lens. It really does come in handy, and is almost as small as the DA40. I can stuff a K-7 with the DA21 on it into a parka pocket (and that is with the hood in place). It's tight, but it works.
02-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
mysticcowboy - that is interesting with the 21/50 combo.

I feel I missed the occasional shot with the 15/35/135 combo I took to Japan recently, but I am fine with that for the lightweight tradeoff. Like you said, one adapts. I am wondering if I could adapt to two lenses. 15/35 seems too short. 21/whatever might not be wide enough, etc. It's tough. 15/40 or 15/50 might work for me, but 15 isn't so flattering for people shots and 40 and 50 are too long for tighter spaces like train cars.

I tend to spend LONG days when traveling - starting at 8am and getting back to the hotel around 10pm. It's great and I love it - but even a bag with the K20d/15/35/135 and a guidebook gets heavy eventually.

However, I will not compromise for a smaller sensor or P&S. Also, I just love shooting with primes.

Ideally, I would be able to have the 15/21/35/40/70 combo and just take what I felt like -- but that seems overkill even for someone with LBA like myself...

I will be switching cameras to get video ability (either K-r or K-7, but leaning K-7). K-7 with 15/35/70 is sounding pretty good...

mysticcowboy - it's nice to see a fellow Washingtonian on the forum...

02-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ha - FrankB - you ARE making it tougher...

I was writing my previous post as you posted...

Maybe I will splurge and get the 21 and a k-7 as opposed to the kit (with the 70 I am definitely getting).

For some reason, I love the idea of just taking one prime for some things (parties, short weekend trips). For longer/international travel I would probably always bring 2, or more likely 3.

I should play around more with the DA 35 as a one lens option. I have only taken it on the one trip and haven't been out shooting in a bit. It might work fine for parties (autofocus could be a touch slow, but I could probably hang). But it wouldn't be wide enough for many other applications...the DA 21 could be the ticket... (although getting the k-7, 70, and 21 all in one fell swoop would give me sticker shock).
02-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Don't know if this has been brought up, but you don't necessarily have to take every lens with you when you leave the hotel. What I mean is, you can take four primes with you on the trip, but just a couple each time you head out for the day, especially if you have some idea of what you'll encounter.
02-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K206 Quote
For some reason, I love the idea of just taking one prime for some things (parties, short weekend trips).
Just try your DA35Ltd for that.

If it does not work, sell the DA35Ltd and the DA40Ltd and take the money that you want to spend on the DA21Ltd and get the FA31Ltd That works for me for the above purpose

02-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #23

I don't know if these will help (or just make things worse) but if you're interested, here are some links to some of my galleries with the DA Limiteds:

Just the DA40 on a K2000, which I did as a sort of test to see if I could get by with just that lens/camera combo for a compact have-around-all-the-time camera, when I don't want to carry more. The answer is yes, but I prefer the K-7 now that I have it, even if it is heavier.

Pentax K2000 with DA40 - Frank B. Baiamonte's Photos

Just the DA21 (on a K10D) right after I got it, went for a walk around Old Town San Diego to test out the lens.

Old Town - Pentax 21mm - Frank B. Baiamonte's Photos

Just the DA35 Macro (on a K20D), another walk around Old Town San Diego. I had a couple of other lenses with me, but was too lazy to switch.

Old Town - Dec 27, 2009 - Frank B. Baiamonte's Photos

Here is a collection of galleries from a trip to Seattle in June, all shot with the 21, 35, 40 and 70. I didn't have the 15 yet. I noticed you were from Seattle, so you'll recognize most of these spots and maybe it will help visualize the different lenses. All shot with a K-7.

Frank B. Baiamonte's Photos : Travel : Seattle - June 13-19, 2010
02-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #24

I bought all the Limited lenses available to check and test
which ones I would keep as my kit with K-5.

Ended up keeping: 15/21/43/77

Very small, 43 and 77 are near the Zeiss quality territory, 21 is very good,
much better than the impression this forum gives about it.
15 is the weakest, but there is nothing else that wide, so no choice here...

Andrew
02-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
I bought all the Limited lenses available to check and test
which ones I would keep as my kit with K-5.

Ended up keeping: 15/21/43/77

Very small, 43 and 77 are near the Zeiss quality territory, 21 is very good,
much better than the impression this forum gives about it.
15 is the weakest, but there is nothing else that wide, so no choice here...

Andrew
I agree about the 21. What did you think of the 31 & 70?
02-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree about the 21. What did you think of the 31 & 70?
31 is good, but I like 43 and 77 better, maybe it's just me not crazy about
so called "normal" lens - in this case close to what's 50mm on full frame...
Plus it's much bigger than other Limiteds.
I surprised myself by loving 43, it's such a great lens. Somehow it works
on a crop camera, not sure why...
70 is excellent, but 77 has a look I like more, as I said 43 and 77 give me
what Zeiss gives me
02-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah i love the 43 and 77, and the 43 stays on my camera the most
02-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The FA31mm is really a great lens for a wide range of shot ...
I totally agree with that. It has been living on my camera for the past 3 months and only had to give way to a DA55-300 for 10 shots at an airshow.

So the FA31Ltd would indeed make my single prime travel kit.

Yesterday she finally found a boyfriend that can live up to her expectations in the DFA100WR and those two will make up my standard prime travel kit.
02-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Don't know if this has been brought up, but you don't necessarily have to take every lens with you when you leave the hotel. What I mean is, you can take four primes with you on the trip, but just a couple each time you head out for the day, especially if you have some idea of what you'll encounter.
Bingo. I took a longer tele zoom on the last trip, but it stayed in the hotel most of the time. The 15/21/40/70 were fine for 99% of the shots. If I was headed up to the top of a tower or some kind of view from above in daylight, I would take a long lens.
02-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
70 is excellent, but 77 has a look I like more, as I said 43 and 77 give me
what Zeiss gives me
Though I love my 77 and prefer it for people shots, I ended up getting the 70 for travel because its performance is more tuned to architecture and landscape, and it fits better in my little bag, especially with the hood off.