Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I have those 3 and can totally relate. A 4 kit would include the DA21.
As small as they are, there is hardly a good reason for not including the DA21 or DA40 if you have them.

03-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I want to play with a smaller budget .

My first visit to new york was with a 28mm and 55mm lens. Honestly, I rarely needed anything longer, and only sometimes would have benefited from something wider.

The 55 1.8 was nice for indoors / pictures of friends / when the lights were lower. The 28mm was wide enough to capture scenes on the street. Sure it could have been a little wider but I didn't really feel like I was missing out on much.

I've acquired a few lenses since then. I think I'd like to give the 15 a go in the city, but I still think I'll be using my 28 and 55. They might be boring focal lengths, kind of close to together, but for photography in unpredictable situations, they just get the job done.

If I had to pick 2 limiteds for this, I would bring the 21 and the 40 (or 43). I would prefer, though, to bring the 21 and a 55 (focal length dictating that decision alone).
where I find wider lenses needed is for archetecture and interior shots. This may be a difference only in terms of photographic interests. Clearly for general street scenes you are correct, and for street scenes that is where I use my Tamron 28-75.
03-05-2011, 04:34 AM   #48
Forum Member

FWIW I always travel with 15 and 43 and they work fine. I wouldn't mind adding 70 to it.

Marcin
03-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have now added the 21 and the 70 to the other options I mentioned (15, 35, 40).

So for short trips I could take just the 21 or 35. Or with 2 lenses, the 21/70.

For other trips there are a myriad of options:15/35/70, 15/40/70, 21/35/70, 21/40/70.

I do not know if I can justify keeping the 15 and the 21. I know many have both, and love both -- but my plan is to sell the one I care for less. I will see how badly I miss the wide FOV of 15.

So far, I am not loving my 15 (hence the purchase of the 21). Eventually, I may sell either the 35 or 40 as I they are quite close in FOV.

There is something appealing about the original limited trio of 21/40/70 (but I do like the close focus of the 35). I wonder if the 21 and 35 would be too close together...

Pentax makes so many great primes...

03-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K206 Quote
There is something appealing about the original limited trio of 21/40/70 (but I do like the close focus of the 35). I wonder if the 21 and 35 would be too close together...

Pentax makes so many great primes...
One of the most appealing things about that original trio is that any two not on the camera will fit in a coat pocket. I wouldn't part with the DA15 as long as I have a camera bag (and I'm not toting the DA12-24), but it is the odd man out in size and speed.
03-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One of the most appealing things about that original trio is that any two not on the camera will fit in a coat pocket. I wouldn't part with the DA15 as long as I have a camera bag (and I'm not toting the DA12-24), but it is the odd man out in size and speed.
this opens the topic to "how you carry your gear" at the shooting end?

I don't disagree with the observation, but I also note you don't discuss where you put your camera I know the answer already, it is in your hand

While I don't use that approach myself, I do something similar, I generally take a small shoulder bag, one origonally used for an 8MM compact camcorder, thaty will hold 2-4 small primes, or 2 somewhat larger WA to normal lenses, or one camera body with lens attached.

When I am out and aboout, regardless of how I got all my gear to the location, I use the small bag to carry either my second body with something like a 10-20 or 28-75 on it, or carry just a couple of extra lenses to compliment what is on my camera (in hand)

the logic is you don't always wear a coat.
03-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this opens the topic to "how you carry your gear" at the shooting end?

I don't disagree with the observation, but I also note you don't discuss where you put your camera I know the answer already, it is in your hand

While I don't use that approach myself, I do something similar, I generally take a small shoulder bag, one origonally used for an 8MM compact camcorder, thaty will hold 2-4 small primes, or 2 somewhat larger WA to normal lenses, or one camera body with lens attached.

When I am out and aboout, regardless of how I got all my gear to the location, I use the small bag to carry either my second body with something like a 10-20 or 28-75 on it, or carry just a couple of extra lenses to compliment what is on my camera (in hand)

the logic is you don't always wear a coat.
Most of the time, my camera is in a bag. However for ultra-light shooting, it may be around my neck with the lenses in my pocket or, with the DA40 attached, in the coat pocket on one side with the lenses in the other.

03-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #53
Veteran Member

My suggestion....

QuoteOriginally posted by K206 Quote
Having responded to several other threads regarding the best primes for travel, I have started to think about my own setup again. I travel extremely light, with a small camera bag.

I have read many threads already (in addition to Hin's excellent article: Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax 1 Lens Choices), so I apologize if any of this is duplicative. However, I would enjoy hearing from others about their experience with specific setups. Please only include suggestions regarding small and light prime combos including the 15, 21, 35, 40, 50 and 70.

I have the DA 15, DA 35, and DA 40. Right now, for lack of a better option, I sometimes bring my M 135.

I am considering getting the DA 70 (and selling the DA 40), giving me a 15/35/70 combo. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

A 3 lens setup may be ideal, but I was wondering if people had good experiences with even less lenses.

For instance:

15/35 (I am contemplating doing this and just using my wife's P&S for telephoto).

15/40 (I could do this, but haven't tried it for travel yet).

21/70 (this seems popular on the forums but I would love to hear more about it).

21 only (this was mentioned recently by StephenMerola).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Da 15, 40, and get a 70...three TEENY lenses, really easy to carry. Next might be the 100 macro, but it is considerably larger, but great for lots of things.

Cheers,
Cameron
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It depends upon where I am going and what I think the views will be like. I'm heading for San Francisco later this month and I definitely intend to bring my 75-300MM Vivitar and probably my 50MM 1.7 but I'm just not sure about taking my 28mm wide angle or my 35-75MM zoom even though they might come in handy because of the big panoramic type views out there. I definitely don't think I'll be taking my 105MM or my 135MM at all.

I thought about just taking the Tamron 28-200MM and maybe the 75-300MM Vivitar, but I'm really wanting to use that Nifty 50 out there. The long zoom is a must though. Besides the usual landscapes I may visit the zoo besides and it will come in too handy to leave behind. 200MM just isn't enough reach for me when there are tigers, lions and and leopards to photograph. Plus I am going to Land's End, Ocean Beach, Cliff House et all. Major photo ops there.

You know at home it's easy to pack a couple of lenses for day trips but for some reason it's a lot harder doing that with a longer trip where I know I will have a lot to photograph. I probably could do it with 2 lenses or maybe 3, but I am just not sure I want to limit myself to that.

CA is so darned gorgeous and this will be the first time I've really gotten to capture any of that beauty with a DSLR and some good lenses. Might be fun to take a good handful, though that would make my kit a fair bit heavier.
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A small tidbit to this thread is the Optech double rear caps make it possible to store 2 lenses in one pouch or hole without them knocking together. They are not particularly great caps themselves, however, and just some cheapies epoxied back-to-back work just as well.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-08-2011 at 10:40 AM.
03-07-2011, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #56

This thread has been very informing to read. Makes me wonder how much these opinions would change if Pentax would release a 12mm Limited! :-)
03-08-2011, 05:22 AM   #57

Travel kit: 2, 3, more?

I toured Europe last year, while I carried 1-3 lenses in hand each day I did have the 15/21/31/43/77 to choose from each day. Initially used 15/31/77, in the evening often just the 31. By the end the 21/43 was a nice bag-less carry. In hindsight I did want for length sometimes. The AF/1.7 makes 77 a 200/f3 and is something I need to test for IQ. Previous Europe trip used the 16-50, much happier with the primes kit - lens juggling skills improve with practice!
Cheers
Lachlan
[all the gear, no idea]
03-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
It depends upon where I am going and what I think the views will be like. I'm heading for San Francisco later this month and I definitely intend to bring my 75-300MM Vivitar and probably my 50MM 1.7 but I'm just not sure about taking my 28mm wide angle or my 35-75MM zoom even though they might come in handy because of the big panoramic type views out there. I definitely don't think I'll be taking my 105MM or my 135MM at all.

I thought about just taking the Tamron 28-200MM and maybe the 75-300MM Vivitar, but I'm really wanting to use that Nifty 50 out there. The long zoom is a must though. Besides the usual landscapes I may visit the zoo besides and it will come in too handy to leave behind. 200MM just isn't enough reach for me when there are tigers, lions and and leopards to photograph. Plus I am going to Land's End, Ocean Beach, Cliff House et all. Major photo ops there.

You know at home it's easy to pack a couple of lenses for day trips but for some reason it's a lot harder doing that with a longer trip where I know I will have a lot to photograph. I probably could do it with 2 lenses or maybe 3, but I am just not sure I want to limit myself to that.

CA is so darned gorgeous and this will be the first time I've really gotten to capture any of that beauty with a DSLR and some good lenses. Might be fun to take a good handful, though that would make my kit a fair bit heavier.
this goes back to how you carry your gear.

I have, and I think I posted this earlier, adapted a 2 bag approach. One bag that carries everything I think I might use for an extended trip, lenses, bodies, chargers, back up HD etc... This is either a hard case or back pack.

I then pack a second much smaller bag, for day shoots, take 1-3 lenses and one body or 2 lenses and 2 bodies. Spares are in the small bag.

I believe you need to separate how to get to a major destination from what you do when you get there. if yoou are in the city, you don't need wild life lenses, and when shooting wild life, you don't need a full range of short primes, more likely just one medium to tele lens that is close focus capable.

WHile you may need it all for the full trip, a lot, on any one day can be locked up in a hotel room.

If I need to carry it all, all the time, I reconsider my load at the onset, and back pack it all.
03-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A small tidbit to this thread is the Optech double rear caps make it possible to store 2 lenses in one pouch or hole without them knocking together. They are not particular great caps themselves, however, and just some cheapies epoxied back-to-back work just as well.
The Optech double caps are great, I have bought 1 to try it out and find it very handy for stacking in a "fanny pack" or a small shoulder bag.
I plan to buy another when I get clearance from the CFO for the next next lens (DFA100WR). or 40th birthday whichever comes first.

The only thing with these is they are a tighter fit which is good for security but slightly more difficult for swapping.
The other thing is they must be aligned in one particular postion only to mount on. ie you have to align the "bump" on the cap with the red dot.
Pentax end caps are better in that they can mount in 3 postions on the lugs so easier & quicker to fit on.

If you look at a Pentax cap all 3 retaining lugs are the same about 15mm long.
On the Optech, one is 15mm long but the other two are 25mm long, and there looks to be slightly more taper angle on the lug compared to the Pentax which is why it tightens more when fitted up to the end stop.
If it bugs me I could delicately shave off the leading 10mm section of the 2 Optech lugs with a file or Stanley knife. More than likely this could result in a trip to the hospital which is why I havent attempted it, ... yet
03-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I thought having a prime is just getting the most used focal length for the user and learning/tweaking/working around the quirks of it.