Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Jason - all you needed to do in this case is to focus to infinity and make sure the subject is within FOV, no? That should be fairly simple
Haha - I was wondering if someone would comment on my shot in this manner, as it's not the best example of a moving subject! But from memory the plane was close enough such that I wasn't quite at infinity, so I did have to do some focusing and tracking. Still, you are at least a little correct as some other moving subjects are much harder to manually focus. And the plane was moving in a mostly straight line of course (unlike birds or kids for example!).

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Gorgeous shot, Jason. That's some lens! (and great technique).
thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
or perhaps in wide open ... can make this such image ...
That's a lovely image!

02-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use K series lenses because they are fun to use, have great build quality, and most importantly have that classic Pentax look...great colors and contrast.
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Haha - I was wondering if someone would comment on my shot in this manner, as it's not the best example of a moving subject! But from memory the plane was close enough such that I wasn't quite at infinity, so I did have to do some focusing and tracking. Still, you are at least a little correct as some other moving subjects are much harder to manually focus. And the plane was moving in a mostly straight line of course (unlike birds or kids for example!).

thanks

That's a lovely image!
Then I owe you an apologie Nice shot by the way.
02-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I see lots of people saying "of course, you can't take action shots with those lenses" etc. Well, my darlings, "those lenses" were all there was in the earlier days and there were some great action shots taken with them. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practise, man.
I know these could be better but this was my first day out with my M 300/4 which I purchased this past fall. This is a 3 shot burst of bikes coming off turn 3 to my position at turn 4. I split the day between the M and a Sigma 70-300 which is AF and I got as many keepers with the M.

02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That's a lovely image!
thanks.. i just want to show that ..this is why ... im so so so in love with pentax ...because the M quality is really rally stunning...sometimes you dont know ..what your camera can do ..because high IQ that result from your camera...

here some more example :

i take that with :
smc M 80-200/4,5 or smc M 28/2,8

02-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
"Why do you still use M lenses?!"
For the same reason I still drive vehicles with manual transmissions and fly half-century old aircraft
with the little wheel at the tail-end. For the pure pleasure of exercising old skills and with the sure
knowledge that sometimes the old ways are still the most effective. And certainly more economically
efficient if the results are the same.

As stated above, great photographs existed prior to AE, AF and SR lenses and bodies arrived on the
scene.

Perhaps the disclaimer about successful manual whatever would be more appropriate if expressed
as ". . .[whatever] is impossible for me at my present level of experience".

H2
02-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual lenses are so much fun, I have lenses from 28 mm to 500 mm and produce excellent quality images and with the catch in focus feature plus stop down metering it is almost automatic anyway. Never hesitate to pick up manual lenses, most are cheap and quite good. If you look in the lens database you can pick up some of the better quality ones. I still check the pawn shops and local by and sell papers. Most camera shops say the old lenses don't work anymore so people sell them cheap not knowing the Pentax system just loves these.

02-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

no reason you can't shoot action with a manual lens, i did it all through high school shooting pretty much all the sports teams at one point or another. with a 135 f 3.5 and a 1.7 tc no less
it helps a lot for action to be able to predict it so the better you know the subject the more keepers you'll get
i shoot some live music now with my m lenses and get as many or more keepers than i do with my sigma 24-70 2.8

i don't use manual zooms though, they just don't cut it compared to the modern ones

the primes on the other hand give some amazing performance at a fraction of the price of any of the new primes. my whole prime kit still cost less than 1 dal 35 f2.4

practice is all it takes. that and a good focusing screen ( i use a nikon k3 split image with gridlines from focusingscreen.com) and if you wear reading glasses like i do then look into the m lens adaptors from Pentax (they are a part not retail item) I bought the +3 which is my prescription and it makes life easier with any lens, and i still have another +1 or so available on the built in diopter as my eyes weaken)

smc m 200 f4.0 @ about 5.6 if memory serves, not my dog, just a quick grab while walking

02-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why do I still use M Lenses? Well, I can't buy a quality AF 50mm f1.7 lens for $7 at a swap meet.
02-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Does the LL-80 fit the K7? Does the MI-60 fit the K20D? Or do you mean the LL-80 for the K20D and the MI-60 for the K7?

I don't know about the MI-60 in the K20D. But if you mean the LL-80 in the K20D, that's not gonna help with metering for M lenses. The screens that fix the stop down metering problem in the K10D and in the K20D are the screens for the *IST series (LL-60, LI-60, LF-60).

Interestingly, Pentax web site says, "The older LI-60, LF-60 and LL-60 screens (for the *ist D, *ist DS and *ist DS2 cameras) are not compatible with the K10D or K20D. They are physically the same size as the new screens, but because they are a slightly different color they will actually cause an exposure error when used in the K10D or K20D."

But reality proves otherwise.
Oops, its the ML-60 for the K7 and the LI-80 for the K20. At the time I posted it I looked at how the screens looked and not the compatibility. Late night laziness.

Later today, I'm going to see how (or if) these change anything with stop-down since I'll always be curious if I dont try. Chances are I'm going to use the lens wide open anyway so I'll see how it goes with the camera in Av mode.

On a different note, its funny when I hear some people say that DA lenses blow the older ones out of the water because they're designed for digital cameras. From examples that people have put up they're proving otherwise. As long as its a well made older lens it definitely keeps up.
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I come from the other camp and have just about all MF lenses and only MF film bodies.
I have no issues tracking moving objects; it just takes time/practice.
Do I wish I had a camera capable of AF and will I be getting one anytime soon, nope. I don’t need AF and have more fun without it.

The posted pictures are great and prove my point.

Phil.
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'll weigh on on the action shot thing as well. There's always an element of luck (which is part of the fun) but when it works...

(Posted this one before elsewhere but I'm still just tickled with it. Full disclosure: this is actually an A 50 1.7, but you get the idea.)
02-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
I use K series lenses because they are fun to use, have great build quality, and most importantly have that classic Pentax look...great colors and contrast.
Definately. I haven't actually used a K series lens yet, but I know their reputation. The M series has it's own classic look also.

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I'll weigh on on the action shot thing as well. There's always an element of luck (which is part of the fun) but when it works...

(Posted this one before elsewhere but I'm still just tickled with it. Full disclosure: this is actually an A 50 1.7, but you get the idea.)
Great shot!!

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao:
Then I owe you an apologie Nice shot by the way.
No apology needed As I said, it was on the somewhat easier side of manual focus action shots. I still need more practice on difficult shots where the distance to subject changes rapidly.
02-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
alan, brilliant shot and i'm even more impressed if you tell me that is in Puget Sound.
02-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lovely shot, jboyde. Delicate composition, delightful colour and a prime (well, zoom) example of the idea that we don't always have to have every image razor sharp to be acceptable. There's a slight softness to this shot that's really enchanting.
Thanks Wombat. Good thing is that the lens can be plenty sharp if needed. Its great to have that choice.

BTW, good use of puns.