Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Why do you still use M lenses?!"

Siiiiigh!

I hear that alot from people that just started picking up the Kr. With all of the automatic "everything" with even the kit lenses they don't see a need to have anything done manually. They can't stand the thought of focusing by hand let alone setting the aperture and/or exposure!

I use my M 40-80mm rarely but I still like it. Granted I wouldn't be doing quick moving fashion shots but for portraits in studio I find nothing wrong with it. Its a macro lens so its pretty sharp for an older lens and I like the sturdiness of the metal body. Anyone else have this lens and have anything to share?

Here's one with my K20 and the M 40-80 done 2 years ago..

Attached Images

02-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stop-down metering in M-mode with the newer Pentax dSLR bodies works great with Pentax-K and Pentax-M lenses. Yes, it is a little more trouble to manually focus and an aftermarket screen may be the order of the day, but in general, you can't fault the image quality. (Well, the zooms are a little hit or miss, but that is typical for zooms from that era.)

Steve
02-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About the focus screens, I replaced the stock ones 2 months ago and put the LL-80 on my K7 and the MI-60 in my K20. I really should see if it'll help more with the stop down metering. My K20 liked to underexpose with my M 40-80 and my Sears 135, they're my only all-manual lenses.
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The M lens is impossible to use on Toddlers and active 5 year olds. But I love it for other stuff

02-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
...I replaced the stock ones 2 months ago and put the LL-80 on my K7 and the MI-60 in my K20. I really should see if it'll help more with the stop down metering.
Does the LL-80 fit the K7? Does the MI-60 fit the K20D? Or do you mean the LL-80 for the K20D and the MI-60 for the K7?

I don't know about the MI-60 in the K20D. But if you mean the LL-80 in the K20D, that's not gonna help with metering for M lenses. The screens that fix the stop down metering problem in the K10D and in the K20D are the screens for the *IST series (LL-60, LI-60, LF-60).

Interestingly, Pentax web site says, "The older LI-60, LF-60 and LL-60 screens (for the *ist D, *ist DS and *ist DS2 cameras) are not compatible with the K10D or K20D. They are physically the same size as the new screens, but because they are a slightly different color they will actually cause an exposure error when used in the K10D or K20D."

But reality proves otherwise.
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For stationary objects the IQ is amazing. My M 50 1.7 renders some of the best IQ I have seen on any camera. Obviously it is close to impossible to accurately shoot fast moving objects but if you know the limits and strengths of the M series lenses you can have a lot of fun and take some great shots.
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I gave up taking AF lenses with me when I go out to shoot, as I get far more satisfaction & enjoyment from the M, K & A lenses and doing everything manually. The IQ is great & I´d have to laugh if anybody with an AF kit lens was bemused at me using these old primes. I´m also very fond of great build quality, which is why I got these lenses & my K200D.

02-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I see lots of people saying "of course, you can't take action shots with those lenses" etc. Well, my darlings, "those lenses" were all there was in the earlier days and there were some great action shots taken with them. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practise, man.
02-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I see lots of people saying "of course, you can't take action shots with those lenses" etc. Well, my darlings, "those lenses" were all there was in the earlier days and there were some great action shots taken with them. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practise, man.
+1 Absolutely.
Modern lenses with autofocus make fast shots easier, but not always. Sometimes manual focus might actually be a bit easier.
Anyway Wombat is right, it's just a matter of practice and anticipating the shot. Just like shooting with a fully manual lens, you have more control but you also need to exercise more technique.

Here is a shot I took with the manual Pentax-M 400 f/5.6, as this guy flew right over my head. Was only a few hundred feet high and moving fairly fast.

cheers,
Jason
02-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
The M lens is impossible to use on Toddlers and active 5 year olds. But I love it for other stuff
Re toddler and active 5 years old, I and many others can prove otherwise

Do you really think that before the introduction of AF lenses, it was impossible to have great snaps at active kids and fast action scenes?
02-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
+1 Absolutely.
Modern lenses with autofocus make fast shots easier, but not always. Sometimes manual focus might actually be a bit easier.
Anyway Wombat is right, it's just a matter of practice and anticipating the shot. Just like shooting with a fully manual lens, you have more control but you also need to exercise more technique.

Here is a shot I took with the manual Pentax-M 400 f/5.6, as this guy flew right over my head. Was only a few hundred feet high and moving fairly fast.

cheers,
Jason
Jason - all you needed to do in this case is to focus to infinity and make sure the subject is within FOV, no? That should be fairly simple
02-16-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Gorgeous shot, Jason. That's some lens! (and great technique).
02-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
Here's one with my K20 and the M 40-80 done 2 years ago..
Lovely shot, jboyde. Delicate composition, delightful colour and a prime (well, zoom) example of the idea that we don't always have to have every image razor sharp to be acceptable. There's a slight softness to this shot that's really enchanting.
02-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
or perhaps in wide open ... can make this such image ...

02-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great IQ, ranges and features I don't find elsewhere, and some are (as someone said on another thread) my children who have been with me for 30 years. Knowing what the result will be is half the battle to me.